What next after PWP if not the doctorate?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
ellie2603

What next after PWP if not the doctorate?

Post by ellie2603 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:26 am

Hi,

I am a bit stuck with what to do next in my career and was wondering if anyone had any advice?

I have 3 years of experience working as a PWP (was promoted to senior after 1 year) plus my training year. I also have 18 months experience in CAMHS as a support worker and in social services. I left my job as a PWP last year and took a year out to go travelling, I am now looking to get back into psychology but I am not sure where to go next.

Academically I have a 2:1 in psychology and a distinction in a Research Psychology Masters.

I have now applied for the doctorate 5 times and have only had interviews with one university following a test, this year I was offered no interviews. Because of this I feel that it may be time to move on but I would still like to stay within Psychology.

I have considered doing CBT training but to be honest after 4 years I am feeling a bit jaded with IAPT and I have always wanted to work with younger people rather than adults. I have considered doing OT or social work but I worry that they may take me further away from Psychology and into a different field that I do not enjoy so much. I would be keen to hear people's thoughts on this though. Another option is family therapy but I have seen that you need a prior professional qualification in order to train which I currently do not have.

I wondered if anyone has any general advice on what to do next, or thoughts on the careers that I've mentioned?

Many thanks.
Last edited by miriam on Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to make the title less generic, so you get better responses and can be found in searches

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
maven
Site Admin

Re: Career help needed!

Post by maven » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:28 pm

I'd suggest that you get someone independent to look at your application form, as that sounds like great experience so I can only assume you are selling yourself short. I wouldn't divert from your career aspirations if it is something as simple as getting the form right!
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

hs577

Re: Career help needed!

Post by hs577 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:29 am

As Maven said it may be worth having your form looked at. If you wish to work with children you might be able to do high intensity CBT for children and young people's IAPT as I know someone who travelled (similar to yourself) and when they returned to the UK they went to the Midlands to do that. (I know from what they said they were fed up of IAPT too and they'd been working in an adult service but said they're enjoying the IAPT work with children.

ellie2603

Re: What next after PWP if not the doctorate?

Post by ellie2603 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:44 pm

Thanks, those are really useful suggestions. You are probably right I could probably do with some help on my application, there were not really any clinical psychologists in my IAPT service so it was difficult to find people to ask. I think if I apply again I will try a bit harder to find someone who can advise me though.
I hadn't thought of children and young people's IAPT but that it a good suggestion and I will definitely look into it, thank you!