61% in Bsc...

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here

61% in Bsc...

Postby Maango » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:41 pm

Hi guys

I need a bit of advice. I graduated from uni in 2015 where I just scrapped a 2.1 (61% to be exact). I did pretty badly in my second year due to issues back at home where I was travelling over 4 hours every weekend to handle this, managed to pull my marks up in my last year.

I was thinking of doing a masters mainly because I wanted to go back to university and study something that I was seriously interested in (neuropsych). However, I've just been offered my first AP post in the NHS so I kind of don't want to turn this down just to go back to university, since I've been trying to get an AP post in what seems like forever! And rejection seemed to come second nature to me at one point...

I guess my main question would be is, would this grade ultimately affect my chances of getting into the doctorate without a MSc qualification? Is a 2.1 on its own enough or 61% not good enough? Should I go back to do my MSc and pass up this AP post?

Thanks for any replies in advance :)
p.s I'm unsure if I've placed this in the right place so sorry in advance!!
Maango

Re: 61% in Bsc...

Postby MindfulPsych » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:12 pm

Maango wrote:Hi guys

I need a bit of advice. I graduated from uni in 2015 where I just scrapped a 2.1 (61% to be exact). I did pretty badly in my second year due to issues back at home where I was travelling over 4 hours every weekend to handle this, managed to pull my marks up in my last year.

I was thinking of doing a masters mainly because I wanted to go back to university and study something that I was seriously interested in (neuropsych). However, I've just been offered my first AP post in the NHS so I kind of don't want to turn this down just to go back to university, since I've been trying to get an AP post in what seems like forever! And rejection seemed to come second nature to me at one point...

I guess my main question would be is, would this grade ultimately affect my chances of getting into the doctorate without a MSc qualification? Is a 2.1 on its own enough or 61% not good enough? Should I go back to do my MSc and pass up this AP post?

Thanks for any replies in advance :)
p.s I'm unsure if I've placed this in the right place so sorry in advance!!

Hi Mango,

Congratulations on being offered an AP post!

I would say do what you would like to do... don't do a masters just to get a place on the doctorate as you need to study a masters if you're really interested in it. Having the experience will also help you to reflect and think about how your experiences will help you into becoming a clinical psychologist. The doctorate courses are looking for both academic and clinical experience - showing how you can apply yourself and managing the demands of the course.

I have heard of people getting onto the doctorate with a 2:1 and others with a 2:2, some have a masters and some don't. I'd suggest having a look at the "what experience did you have when you go onto clinical training" topic that might be really helpful seeing what other people's experiences are.

Try to think about what you would personally like to do rather than what's going to get you into the doctorate!

Enjoy the journey - it's difficult but doable! :mrgreen:
MindfulPsych

Postby RosieM » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:03 pm

If it were me I'd take the AP post if it's one you really want. You can always do the MSc another year - you didn't graduate long ago and getting some more work experience first might actually help you when it comes to doing the masters. I worked for 4 years before doing my masters and found this to be the case.
RosieM

Postby Geishawife » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:10 pm

I would take the AP post and give careful consideration to where you apply for the doctorate. Look at the details of the courses on the Clearing House site - some specify that you must have a high 2:1, others do not. Weed out those that will not accept your slightly lower grade and pick from those that are less specific. Good luck.
Geishawife
Team Member

Postby Randomswirls » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:49 pm

I echo everyone else as I have a 62 or 63 in my undergrad and whilst I have a masters I didn't do brilliantly in it and only passed. When it cane to applying for the doctorate I had to think about where to apply and ultimately a few unis I would of considered where a no go however enough enabled me to apply and I managed to get on a course this year. Maybe you could gain experience apply and see how you get on as that may determine the need for a masters?
Randomswirls

Postby Bell » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:16 pm

I would also focus on the AP post. AP posts are hard to get and a masters will always be an option in the future should you need it. I'm currently an AP without a masters and planning on applying to the doctorate next year.

I have been thinking about the possibility of a part-time masters. If you think you could manage it and your employer would allow you to have one day a week to attend a course... you might be able to try to do a part-time masters alongside the AP role? Of course there's a lot to think about when considering that option.

Also every clinical doctorate programme is different. Some require specific academic requirements and some focus on placement tests. I believe Lancaster is one that focuses placement tests rather than academic/work requirements. Have a look at Leeds Clearing House.
Bell

Postby Maango » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:47 pm

Thank you all for your responses! :D

I have actually just been offered another AP role in a neuropsych rehab unit, so now I am actually in another predicament to which one to choose! The NHS post sounds like more of an admin role in the community working with LD, whilst the neuropsych is not NHS but I'll be learning to conduct assessments and be involved with running groups and interventions so now this is the next decision I have to try and make :bom: :bom:

Thank you all for your advice, its the closure I needed to be confident in undertaking more experience as opposed to the MSc as I was so uncertain!

And congrats Randomswirls!!!! I've PM'ed you :)
Maango

Postby SeaChange21 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:19 pm

Maango wrote:Thank you all for your responses! :D

I have actually just been offered another AP role in a neuropsych rehab unit, so now I am actually in another predicament to which one to choose! The NHS post sounds like more of an admin role in the community working with LD, whilst the neuropsych is not NHS but I'll be learning to conduct assessments and be involved with running groups and interventions so now this is the next decision I have to try and make :bom: :bom:

Thank you all for your advice, its the closure I needed to be confident in undertaking more experience as opposed to the MSc as I was so uncertain!

And congrats Randomswirls!!!! I've PM'ed you :)

I'm a bit late replying to this thread Maango, but I wanted to offer some (hopefully) useful advice. I also have a fairly low 2:1 (63%) but this year I managed to get two offers. For me I found that it was important to be realistic. The competition is fierce and a MSc is becoming less of a bonus and more of an expectation as the years progress. Target the courses which use the short listing tests as others have suggested. It's a useful shortcut if you're good at them and if you're not keep practicing and concentrate on getting the most out of your clinical experience :)
SeaChange21

Return to Clinical Doctorate Application Process