Managing application anxiety

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Ruthie

Re: Managing application anxiety

Post by Ruthie » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:32 pm

matt.berlin wrote:
ell wrote:I'd read it and automatically thought "someone's been reading their mindfulness book!".
Again, wouldn't disagree (though I haven't got a mindfulness book to read :wink: )
What you need is to accept that things are as they are and you are as you are and what you are is a third wave cognitive therapist! :lol: :wink:
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken Him completely by surprise.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Peyman

Post by Peyman » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:49 pm

Does anyone else worry about how they deliver the interview or is it just me?
I know a lot but I worry I will mince my words and come across really awful, lacking communication skills.
Funny thing is I have had plenty of interviews and I deliver lectures. But the worry and anxiety never goes away.

Mikel Arteta

Post by Mikel Arteta » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:28 pm

I agree with what Miriam and h2eau said and I have pretty much said the exact same things on the progress thread already. I used to get myself in a frenzy about it all, but not anymore. I enjoy my present job, but think I have the skills to work at a higher grade, so I am applying for various jobs, one of which is Trainee CP. That's what I see it as now - a job. There are also other jobs. If I get it, I might take it, if not, no problem. It is really not worth all the energy, tears and anxiety. To reach this stage, you need other options, as I have.

I say forget the huge drama if an e-mail drops into your box, stop rushing back for the mail, stop ringing the Uni's all the time (which probablr irritates them too) and just relax and see what happens, trust me, it's a much more chilled application period if you do it this way.

Bonne chance. x
Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly, all your life
you were only waiting for this moment to arise
:)

Shell_h

Post by Shell_h » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:02 pm

I must admit I am finding waiting to hear back from interviews very anxiety provoking. Birmingham don't tell us for a month and I think I might have gone mad by then! The only good thing about it is that I can't possibly maintain a state of anxiety for that long so I'll have to relax at some point! I think even if you are a very strong individual who doesn't usually get phased by much, this process is very challenging. Even if it is just a job!

psy40174

Post by psy40174 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:55 pm

:mrgreen:
-------------------------------------------------------
“I used to think that the brain was the most wonderful organ in my body. Then I realised who was telling me this.” - Emo Philips

Snelison

Post by Snelison » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:03 pm

there's some really good coping techniques on here, and not just techniques that can be utilised by clinical applicants!!

when you are a 'major stress head' (my friends and family describe me as such) it makes you wonder whether you should even bother applying. i think, if i can't cope with the application procedure how the blimmin' 'eck am i going to cope with the heavy workload and responsibilty that goes with being a Clin Psych??!!

good luck to all those that are awaiting news from the institutions they've applied to. kinda looking forward to being in you position nest year (following my own application)....but also kinda dreading it :wink:
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new"
Albert Einstein

"96.2% of all statistics are made up”
Vic Reeves

TeePee

Post by TeePee » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:33 pm

With the interview season in full swing I am feeling more anxious than ever. Not only am I battling with anxiety but self-doubt has kicked in big time! I am worried that my current lack of confidence may impact on my performance, does anyone else feel like this and if so, how on earth are you managing it? I have got this horrible image in my head of me falling to bits at interview. I keep trying to remind myself of all the reasons as to why I won't crumble at interview and reflecting on my positive expereinces/qualities, but it's not helping and now this self-doubt has sparked questions relating to whether I am really ready for training, knocking my self-doubt and anxiety further into a downward spiral ( I am very aware how chaotic this all sounds but it really sums up how I currently feel). Does anybody have any tips for boosting my confidence back up to where it ought to be?

Mikel Arteta

Post by Mikel Arteta » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:11 pm

Hi TeePee,

The best way to approach it is to be as relaxed about it all as you can be. Do a bit of prep, but not too much. Don't do any the night before, just chill out. Don't ready any notes whilst at interview, I'm of storng opinion that isn't helpful.

When at interview, mix in with the other candidates, get chatting, we had a right laugh at Cov. Get stuck into the lunch! Just go with it, see what happens. If you said something by mistake or something comes out wrong, make a joke of it or reflect on the spot! Most panels are fairly friendly and relaxed (apart from certain places, no names!). I had a bit of banter going with mine! The last Q at Cov was about how we are in social situations. First of all I was talking about my personality, that I am like that 'cause of my parents, how I interact, fair enough, right? Then I started banging on about how we like to get the guitars out at 'Wilde' (surname) parties and people think I suit my surname. I thought 'oh no, what am I saying!' They actually laughed and I got an offer! So don't worry about what you say and how it comes across, just go in there and see it as a conversation, that way it seems more relaxed. I remember the day before chatting to a CP and I seemed to know my stuff, but thought I wouldn't in that Q environment. I treated it as conversational (the panel made it that way too).

Forget the outcome too. Don't think you're life is over if you don't get a place. Just relax and go with it, see what happens??

Bonne chance. x
Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly, all your life

TeePee

Post by TeePee » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:46 pm

Thanks Mikel that's really helpful. You appear to be a very helpful and supportive kind of person...I can see that is a theme throughout all of your responses of this forum! You obviously deserve to be on the course and congratualtions on sealing a place :)
merci beaucoup et félicitations

Mikel Arteta

Post by Mikel Arteta » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:40 pm

Thanks TeePee. All the best. Another things I just remembered is that during the interview from the place where I got an offer, I paused for ages before answering a question. They asked me one I was not sure about and I thought for ages and eventually came out with an answer, but didn't think it seemed that good. So don't worry if you have to have a think, places will let you do that. So I suppose the advice is, don't rush in if you need to think.

Bonne chance! xx

Peyman

Post by Peyman » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:07 am

Mikel Arteta wrote:Thanks TeePee. All the best. Another things I just remembered is that during the interview from the place where I got an offer, I paused for ages before answering a question. They asked me one I was not sure about and I thought for ages and eventually came out with an answer, but didn't think it seemed that good. So don't worry if you have to have a think, places will let you do that. So I suppose the advice is, don't rush in if you need to think.

Bonne chance! xx
That's very good advice. I always take a few seconds to think and then reply when I am not sure. I used to think it looks very bad but after being involved in interviewing others myself, I see it differently.

The problem though is when you take time to think and then come out with irrelevant waffling, as was the case with me at the Trent interview! I cringe!

ell

Post by ell » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:28 pm

So, it seems that I'm not handling the application anxiety all that well. :(

I'm not a generally anxious person - I get anxious at the thought of doing particular things relating to specific fears of mne (eg. ice-skating or singing in public) but usually I am pretty calm and pragmatic. However, I am currently experiencing nausea on and off every day, to the extent that I am now avoiding caffeine and alcohol cos they make it worse. I have developed a twitch in my eye (seemingly worse when I am tired or stressed). I haven't had any panic attacks, but I have been having very panicky feelings in situations that were not threatening, triggered by goodness knows what. I feel hot and smothered and queasy and feel the need to escape. While this is not interfering too much with everyday life, I have been cutting short social engagements, canceling nights out and avoiding company.

I think it's the uncertainty of the future that's getting to me. I tell myself it's only a job, and I know that if I didn't get on the course this year it wouldn't be that terrible (after all, I have done it for the last 3 years!). It's just the not knowing and being so close but feeling so far.

Oddly, on my Oxford interview day I was not very anxious/nervous at all. I was pretty calm and relaxed (much more than I thought I would be) and mostly enjoyed the experience. Admittedly, a little time afterwards I became quite upset when I realised I had not done so well in the interview part, but that kind of negative feeling I am used to and can cope with (in a manner of speaking). I'm used to getting low moods - it's this anxiety that I'm not used to at all, and struggling to cope with.

Anyways, just thought I would get that off my chest. I'm finding it frustrating as this is very unlike me. I normally pride myself on a calm and relaxed attitude towards things, and I'm quite embarrassed that I am so anxious at the moment. Hopefully it will all disappear come June 11th, but in the meantime I shall have a read back of this thread and see if there is any good advice for me. Any more tips welcome! Relaxation techniques are generally no good for me though, as I get dizzy and panicky quite quickly when trying relaxation/body scanning stuff. Yes, I am a psychologist who hates relaxation. :wink:

Thanks for listening folks...

L

Snelison

Post by Snelison » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:41 pm

hi ell,

i get twitchy eye syndrome too (on BBC 6 Music they call it 'Prodigeye' cos it feels like your eye is raving away to the Prodigy! :lol: :lol: )

i also used to get a slight panicky feeling, often brought on by tiredness (as was my Prodigeye) and not associated with application anxiety as i havent yet applied (due to later this year :? :? ). it sounds like youre doing pretty well at being aware of the early symptoms of your panicky sessions (as i did last year when i was having them). as you say it might just be a case of missioning on though until 11th June. my 'panickyness' (technical term i just made up!) also subsided quite spontaneously :D .

ive been finding exercise quite helpful as it helps to burn off all that nervous energy (i cant believe im recommending exercise to you as im really not an exercise type person! :lol: :lol: ). even just a brisk walk can really help, especially if you can build it into your daily routine (i try to walk between the City Centre and my uni each day when the weathers ok...and i can be bothered!).

good luck with the application ell!! keeping everything crossed for you. and if you get twitchy eye syndrome again dont be too alarmed as its just your eye having a bit of a rave to 'Firestarter' :D
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new"
Albert Einstein

"96.2% of all statistics are made up”
Vic Reeves

CurlyHair
Team Member

Post by CurlyHair » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:01 am

I thought it might be good to bump this thread up :) My plan is to do as much yoga as I can to help manage the anxiety of applying for the first time. And also to read this thread when it all seems too much :)

Tiggerman

Post by Tiggerman » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:57 pm

It seems I'm not coping fantastically - denial has set in and avoidance has set in big time! Plenty of time to figure the form out lateeeeeeer
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals - Winston Churchill