The Great Big Progress Thread for 2017 entry DClinPsy

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here

Re: The Great Big Progress Thread for 2017 entry DClinPsy

Postby SuzC » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:37 pm

Surrey
Salomons
Herts

Southampton

2nd time applicant. Not looking good this year...
SuzC

Postby JFox » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:20 pm

UEA
Oxford
Surrey

Hertfordshire

Glad that's over with, I am so happy and lucky to have 3 chances. Good luck all the greens and oranges, commiserations to the reds, it seems like this is a particularly tough year this year.

Now on to the interviews, I have 2 in a row next week :o
If at first you don't succeed, try two more times so that your failure is statistically significant!
JFox

Postby Rose1234 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:22 pm

Hi,

I was just wondering in what format did people find out about Glasgow interviews or reserve interviews?

I have an email from them but too anxious to check it. Thanks
Rose1234

Postby ChrisMcC » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:44 pm

Rose1234 wrote:Hi,

I was just wondering in what format did people find out about Glasgow interviews or reserve interviews?

I have an email from them but too anxious to check it. Thanks

Everyone gets an email from Glasgow.
Advice: open it!
ChrisMcC

Postby Rose1234 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:32 pm

Hi,

Yep, I checked it and no interview unfortunately. Does anyone know how Edinburgh usually let people know about interviews? Is it email or letter or both?

Thanks
Rose1234

Postby emma2017 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:25 am

penguin wrote:
emma2017 wrote:Lancaster
Leicester
Leeds
Sheffield

Feeling very upset although I did realise my experience is not very strong, which is why I was hoping that courses with selection tests would work in my favour. The numerical however just threw me despite trying hard to prep and practice.
It is my first year applying but I am in my late 30s and with graduating 10 years ago as a mature student and now having children and mortgage and still having limited opportunities to get that right work experience I am not sure right now if it is worth trying again. I know that everyone who has got an interview deserves it and wants it as badly as me - its not like someone pips you for a job and you think you could do better. There has to be a cut off point and I just didn't get over the line. What is hard is that I know I would make an excellent Clinical Psychologist. I have given up a career in Public health management to work in mental health so it just feels I am left with nothing and I am fast approaching 40. Wish I had made some better choices in my 20s!! Anyway I wasn't going to post but I read somewhere it is good for people to see the realistc side to the decisions and processes so others with 4 rejections don't feel like they are the only ones. I also wanted to post as I do feel quite different as a mature applicant and a parent. Its tough making decisions between a career you are passionate about and what is right for your family. So if thats you, you are not alone and I wish you the very best whatever your outcomes.

Hi Emma2017

I just wanted to reach out as a fellow mummy, I understand your perspective and considerations, I had to select course centres geographically. As hard as it is sometimes I have very much tried to re-frame and consider how my chosen path has made me a better candidate (I did a conversion course) I hope once I have dealt with the emotional aspect of everything I will be in a better place to start thinking about next year. As you said it's your first year of applying so i hope this next year offers you more learning experiences and opportunities, take care. PM if you want to chat :)

Thank you for your kind words. I broke that golden rule don't post something online when you are very emotional! But it actually was very cathartic to write it knowing people who read it understand. Those around me don't really get the intensity of trying to get on a course. To be fair even I underestimated the emotional input before I started last October. However a mixture of a brief pity party, alot of hugs from my partner, my sister telling me to buck up, realising my children still think I am awesome and a day off just to breathe and suddenly the world has opportunity again. So my fellow all reds....do something nice for yourselves, let yourself be sad if you need to then dust yourselves down and look forward to another chapter, because chances are you are already making a big impact in peoples lives working in your field of mental health.
emma2017

Postby AS2010 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:57 am

Hi all,

I know a few people have heard from trent about interviews and rejections. I haven't heard either, is anyone else still waiting to hear?
AS2010

Postby Constructionist87 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:03 am

Congrats to all those who got an interview at Herts. I was just wondering if any of you would mind sharing your experiences/qualifications as I want to make sure I am making the right improvements for next year :) :)
Constructionist87

Postby charlie27 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:20 am

Well done to everyone getting interviews/reserve places and commiserations to the reds; this really is a horrible process!
My first time applying, so far:
Birmingham
Exeter
South Wales
Coventry & Warwick

I'm guessing Coventry is a rejection as the only posts I've seen have been orange/green so I guess they've sent them out in batches and the rejections haven't caught up with us yet?! Still trying to remain hopeful but happy with the others anyway! :D

Likewise @clinpsymember it would be helpful if anyone who has an interview confirmed for South Wales could share the details of what is expected on the day since I can't help but feel it would be unfair for people on the reserve list to find out last minute. I am going to prepare as if I have one anyway.

Good luck everyone!!
charlie27

Postby AC2014 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:48 am

Hi all,

I'm so gutted at the outcome :( I'm considering applying for the PWP role this year as I cannot pin all my hopes upon the CP training route as the years are flying by and I'll be celebrating my 27th birthday this year (therefore not getting any younger) and I'd like to do other activities with my life such as travelling abroad.

Exeter
Hertfordshire
Teesside

UEA

AC2014 wrote:Hi all,

2nd time applying:

Exeter
Hertfordshire
Teesside
UEA

All the best to everyone!
AC2014

Postby LauraLadybug » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:48 am

Hi all, this is my first post as it's taken ages to get my account approved by an administrator.

Liverpool
Sheffield
Leeds (14th on the list so not holding out much hope!)
Trent

I found out about Trent via an email last night about 6.30, they said they'd send a letter to confirm the interview date.

Bit of a mixed bag but it's my first application (although I've got a few years of experience now) so wasn't sure what to expect!
Good luck to everyone still waiting on the last few xxx
LauraLadybug

Postby Lori » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:41 am

Trent (I found out last night by email- they are going to provide some general feedback about the application which is nice)
IoPPN (Really gutted as last year I ended up on the reserve list for a place)
Southampton
Bath

2nd time pplicant
Lori

Postby katewilliams87 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:05 am

3rd time applicant:

Liverpool results have just been emailed.

Liverpool
Manchester

Staffs
Lancaster

Good luck to everyone with interviews or on a reserve list, and commiserations to everyone who isn't this year - it's such a tough process.
katewilliams87

Postby sparwaga » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:31 am

Hi all,

First time applicant.

Leeds
Leicester - got to take the screening test but completely bombed the numerical test as I didn't expect it to be like that kind :oops:
Cov & Warwick
Southampton

Cov & Warwick just updated on the Clearing House website. Didn't receive a letter or email about the rejection.
Last edited by sparwaga on Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sparwaga

Postby Matthew » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:32 am

Exeter
Manchester
South Wales
Lancaster
"The measure of a man is what he does with power" - Plato
Matthew

PreviousNext

Return to Clinical Doctorate Application Process