Do I have a Chance?

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Jordan12354

Do I have a Chance?

Post by Jordan12354 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:30 pm

Hi everyone! This is the first time I've posted on here so sorry in advance if this is the wrong section or if I've done something wrong!

I wanted to make this post to ask about my chances of getting an interview for a Dclin place. I'm Currently doing my MSc in Clinical Psychology at Swansea Uni, I also undertook my BSc in psychology here as well. I got 63.79 at my undergrad which I've just found out is considered a low 2:1 by only 0.21% :( . I'm currently doing my MSc which I hope to get a merit in and theirs a strong possibility I could get a paper published by the end of the year.

With regards to experience I am currently working as an Honorary AP at the Brain Injury Service at an NHS hospital near me. competition for the place was fairly fierce (I think only 1 in 10 got a place), however nothing on the level of Dclin places of course. I also worked as an AP to a private clinical psychologist in London in my summer holidays during undergrad.

Upon examining the clearing house site it's left me feeling deflated as I've seen they ask for A-level results (mine were pretty underwhelming) and also my BSc is a low 2:1. The course centres near me that I want are also competitive E.G. Oxford or any London centre.

This would be my first year of applying and I know it's highly unlikely I'd get a place but based on my current criteria how do you think I would fair in comparison to other applicants?

Thanks in Advance!

Jordan

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
olive

Re: Do I have a Chance?

Post by olive » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:00 pm

Hi Jordan, different universities will look for different things in terms of how much importance they put on academic grades/clinical experience so I would definitely consider this when thinking of where to apply to. As far as I'm aware if you have (or will have) a masters then this will make up for the low 2:1 and will be seen as the equivalent to a higher grade, again I would just read each unis criteria carefully so you aren't wasting any choices by automatically not reaching the criteria they want.
I think you have relevant, worth while experience so I wouldn't be put off applying! Best of luck.

ImaginePsych

Post by ImaginePsych » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:51 pm

Hi Jordan. To echo what Olive said, I would be very careful about where you apply and I would spend some time with the entry requirements for each course to ensure you meet their minimum entry criteria. I don't know this for certain (so pleasure correct me if this is inaccurate) but I am under the impression that certain London courses like UCL and IoP specify a high 2.1 undergraduate degree. So although a MSc would add academic weight, it wouldn't cancel out a low 2.1 degree classification.

It sounds like you are developing some good clinical experience though so keep up the good work :)

Imagine

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:31 pm

There are courses that will rule you out on the basis of your degree mark, regardless of your MSc, rightly or wrongly, so I'd research that carefully and probably focus on courses with assessments for short-listing rather than aiming for those highly competitive courses you have mentioned. I'm not sure you'll be able to pick your geography if you want to maximise your chances of getting onto training, and Oxford and London are some of the most picky courses about academic grades.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare