From Ed Psych to CP?

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
RLDW

From Ed Psych to CP?

Post by RLDW » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:02 pm

Hi everyone,
Newbie here, I was wondering if anyone here was an Educational Psychologist before pursuing an application for Clinical Psychology training? I'd love to hear your experiences :D

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
maven
Site Admin

Re: From Ed Psych to CP?

Post by maven » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:03 pm

Quite a few moved over through equivalence in the child guidance days. One of my early supervisors was originally an EP. Good luck with it.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

RLDW

Post by RLDW » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:11 am

Thank you Maven :D

RLDW

Post by RLDW » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:46 pm

So, I only applied to one place (I have a young family so am restricted geographically) and I wasn't successful in gaining an interview :( and now I'm asking myself what I can do to improve my chances going forward.
I have a low 2:1 (from 1995), a PGCE (a qualified teacher) and a Masters in Educational Psychology with a merit (prior to the EP training shifting to a doctoral training route). I've been an EP for many years and my work has focused upon; mental health, young offenders, supporting children who are transgender, learning disabilities and children looked after. I have not published anything but I have presented at regional conferences, delivered a workshop at the BPS to CPs, EPs and Forensic Psychologists and been a guest lecturer on the EP doctoral course numerous times. I volunteer with MIND too.

I am trying to decide what to do to move forward now, where are the gaps? Is it the low 2:1 for my undergraduate? If so, would an MSc Clinical Psychology help? Or is this a permanent barrier? Is it the less than typical route of experience in terms of clinical experience? I have never worked in the NHS. Do I need to apply for AP roles? Or is it my application form?

I would be very grateful for anyone's thoughts

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:35 pm

It might be your form, and I'm happy to review it. Or it might be the educational focus means you haven't had NHS experience and/or CP supervision, which would help with showing awareness of the clinical aspect - so it might help to do a voluntary placement to gain this (and be cheaper and less time consuming than another qualification).

You might also want to talk to the BPS and HCPC about whether there are any other routes for lateral transfer, as back when I trained there used to be various "top up" options that you could do to gain equivalence if you already had registration in a practitioner psychologist category (eg completing a doctoral research study, x days of supervised practise with each missing client group, and a portfolio to evidence your skills).
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

RLDW

Post by RLDW » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:38 pm

Hi Miriam,
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my query, for your very useful suggestiond and for the very kind offer to review my form, that would be so helpful :D , I will pm you,
Thanks again :D