Interview structure

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here
Fluffy92

Interview structure

Post by Fluffy92 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:56 pm

Hi everyone
Happy to say that I have an interview for the doctorate. However I am a bit unclear about the interview structure. We will be given vignette’s to read and then asked questions on it.

This is the info given about the interview:
“Interview addressing your academic, research and clinical skills. You will be asked questions about the vignettes.”

Do you think this means that we will only be asked questions about the vignettes, or also standard interview questions, such as “what are your strengths/weaknesses?”

Hope that made sense! Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

ell

Re: Interview structure

Post by ell » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:40 am

I very much doubt the whole interview will be about vignettes. I am sure there will also be interview questions.

newmember2017

Post by newmember2017 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:34 pm

I have been to Doctorate interviews in the past and questions were all based on vignettes on each of those areas and no personal questions such as strengths and weaknesses etc. (I would elaborate but I know this website has rules about sharing interview processes.)

My advice is not to overthink or worry about the process too much, just prepare whatever way is best for you and give it your all. You can't do anymore than that :D Enjoy going and meeting the people there.

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:55 pm

It might be that in the "interview addressing your academic, research and clinical skills" they don't also address personal qualities and reflections. That might be in another part of the process (such as a service user panel, or a separate interview), or be considered to show through in other ways.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

Fluffy92

Post by Fluffy92 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:10 pm

Thank you all for your responses.

Interesting to hear that some places only use the vignettes for the interview.

There is another part of the interview day which is a group discussion with service users.

I have been preparing for questions asking me about my own personal qualities/reflections just in case and I guess that will help put me in the right mindset for the other parts of the day even if I'm not asked directly about it.

ell

Post by ell » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:04 am

newmember2017 wrote:I have been to Doctorate interviews in the past and questions were all based on vignettes on each of those areas and no personal questions such as strengths and weaknesses etc. (I would elaborate but I know this website has rules about sharing interview processes.)
Ah, thank you for the correction. A surprising way to do the interview, but interesting to hear.