Qualified (HCPC reg) psychologist wanted in Milton Keynes

Advertise posts here (email clinpsyforum@gmail.com to arrange payment, it starts at just £40+vat)
miriam
Site Admin

Qualified (HCPC reg) psychologist wanted in Milton Keynes

Post by miriam » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:20 pm

As you may know I do a lot of court expert witness work and have expanded this into a broader business which offers therapy, assessment, consultation, research/audit and training as well as expert family court assessments (mainly of attachment, parenting capacity, children's placement needs and family relationships). We operate as a limited company and a social enterprise. We have a very good reputation for providing psychological therapy to a wide range of clients (mainly survivors of childhood maltreatment, parents and children, and those with physical health conditions or chronic pain) and a high level of demand for our court work. However, I am having to turn down work because of lack of capacity!

I am therefore open to expressions of interest from qualified CPs, or other practitioner psychologists with experience of child and family work, who want to join me on a full or part time basis - or even for sessional work. I want someone who is passionate about the type of work we do and improving outcomes for children through work focused on attachment relationships, and who is adventurous enough to want to work within a small organisation where they can influence practise. The main tasks will be to pick up therapy work, and to deliver some of the court assessments and consultations under my supervision/structure, but there is also research and consultancy, along with scope to develop your own interests.

The business is located in pleasant spacious offices just off the M1 in Milton Keynes, but would involve travel throughout surrounding areas (travel expenses will be paid by the business, of at least 25p per mile or actual costs of other forms of transport/accommodation). We have a great working environment and a lovely team, with good admin support and friendly enthusiastic colleagues. The offices have free parking, and plenty of space to see clients and have meetings, as well as a reception area and kitchenette. We have a desk and laptop each and well-stocked bookshelves and test/equipment resources. Our way of working reflects each person's interests and personal development goals, and everyone has a say in the way the company develops. The social enterprise structure means that we can prioritise the clients' needs over profit, and we are able to secure public sector work in a way that is better for staff, better for patients and cheaper for the public purse. That is a world away from working for a large private profit-focused health company.

We have good links to several local clinical training courses and we have an active portfolio of research, conference presentations and involvement in national groups. We expect members of the team to work hard, but can offer flexible working hours and our model is totally free of typical NHS stressors like waiting list targets, boring meetings, contact stats, user-unfriendly databases in which to record appointments and pointless mandatory training. From time to time we have a lunch out, paid for by the business, or an evening meal to which partners are invited.

I do not require applicants to have previous experience of court work, but they do need to be bright, sensible, resilient and able to draw together information into a clear formulation and express the results of assessments in a coherent and logical way, both in top notch reports and verbally to clients, professionals and (in time) the legal system. The pay would be dependent on skills/experience and what proportion of the work would effectively be generating income for the business, but we offer a salary at least equivalent to that you could expect to earn in the NHS (I'd pay band 7 money for someone newly qualified, for example). There will also be annual profit-related bonuses for employees, of up to 5% of salary dependent on the financial status of the business and the employees annual appraisal.

The role would include receiving training and supervision, and if you are newly qualified I would provide plenty of chance to shadow me doing court work and consultations whilst you learn these skills, provided that you show the underlying clarity of thinking and attention to detail required. In order to protect my investment, there would be a covenant in the contract which prevents you from doing this kind of work outside the business whilst employed by us and within a year after leaving. Professional indemnity insurance and HPC registration would be mandatory.

Please note that the work often contains information relating to child abuse, neglect, domestic violence and other emotive and emotionally draining topics, and there is a chance that you may hear disclosures of sensitive information which subsequently has to be reported under child protection procedures. You would be expected to sign a non-disclosure agreement, including a commitment to preserve the confidentiality of the people we assess.

Person Spec

I'm looking for one or more qualified CPs who are highly motivated, bright, personable and organised, with a professional manner. I don't mind how much experience you have of this client group or way of working provided you know the boundaries of your own competence. Good IT skills are essential, as are the highest level communication skills, both verbally and in writing. An impressive academic record and/or evidence of autonomous work or study would be a distinct advantage. Most of all you need to be someone enthused about making life better for children and families, and working with likeminded colleagues. Job offers will be conditional on references and CRB checks.

To apply

Please email lifepsychol@gmail.com with your CV and an expression of interest in the business including expected rates of pay, as soon as possible. I will consider expressions from trainees who will qualify this year, right up to experienced CPs. We have a strong preference to recruit the right people, rather than at a particular time, so the opportunity to express interest in joining the business will remain open indefinitely as it is likely the business will continue to expand.

I'll consider expressions of interest as soon as they are received, and will arrange informal meetings with any candidates who appear promising as quickly as I can. If that leads to continued interest I'll interview soon after that with a view to the successful candidates starting at a mutually convenient time point.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

miriam
Site Admin

Re: Qualified (HCPC reg) psychologist wanted in Milton Keyne

Post by miriam » Fri May 01, 2015 1:12 am

Our service is hugely under demand and we would like to expand, so please do get in contact if you think this might be of interest. We can offer a mixture of therapy work, consultancy, and assessment, along with the opportunity to learn to be a court expert witness if desired.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com