Access Scheme?

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course

Access Scheme?

Postby Psyduck » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:40 pm

I've recently been offered a training place, which I'm naturally over the moon about! So now I turn to thinking about the logistics of beginning a course, possibly relocating and losing my inner London weighting. I read something in the Alternative Handbook about an Access Scheme which means that those on NHS-funded training courses don't pay (as much) tax? I wonder if anyone can shed any further light on this? Whether it still exists; whether you have to actively opt in; whether it's available across all courses or just some? Also, how does this affect your NHS pension? Can I continue paying in or will this be temporarily suspended?

(All these questions...!!)
Psyduck

Re: Access Scheme?

Postby Alex » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:39 pm

Psyduck wrote:I've recently been offered a training place, which I'm naturally over the moon about! So now I turn to thinking about the logistics of beginning a course, possibly relocating and losing my inner London weighting. I read something in the Alternative Handbook about an Access Scheme which means that those on NHS-funded training courses don't pay (as much) tax? I wonder if anyone can shed any further light on this? Whether it still exists; whether you have to actively opt in; whether it's available across all courses or just some? Also, how does this affect your NHS pension? Can I continue paying in or will this be temporarily suspended?

(All these questions...!!)

I think they have stopped this now. You are probably referring to Widening Access Training Scheme.
Alex

Postby sweetpea » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:06 pm

Aye, it’s stopped. My training cohort were forwarded an email back before Christmas confirming that TCPs aren’t eligible.
sweetpea

Postby Psyduck » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:20 pm

Oh well! One less piece of admin to worry about, I guess!

Thanks for your replies :)
Psyduck

Postby persephone56 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:46 pm

sweetpea wrote:Aye, it’s stopped. My training cohort were forwarded an email back before Christmas confirming that TCPs aren’t eligible.

They've backtracked again, according to the latest, but only for people who starting training prior to February 2017. And it's still all up in the air, so it might never be resolved!
persephone56

Return to Clinical Doctorate Courses