UEA 2012

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course

Re: UEA 2012

Postby Han » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:23 am

Hey you two! I just saw this and couldn't bear to leave you on your own any longer.

We know each other Gilly from good old Luton! I had a good feeling that you would make it on the course!

I'm based in Cambridge so not too far from either of you I think?

Getting excited about starting, if not a little daunted!

Hannah
Han

Postby Gilly » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:57 am

About time Hannah! :D And you got Cambridge? (awesome!) - Cambridge is kinda between me and Lisa roughly, so we're a bit of a triangle :)

are you moving up? (also join the FB group ; - search UEA Clinical Psychology) Im getting really excited but also trying to figure out whether to get a house/where to live and all that grown up stuff i've been avoiding :)
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.
Gilly

Postby RobinWall » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:26 pm

Gilly,

I grew up in Bury St Edmunds - it is a beautiful town. Hope you really enjoy it there.

Robin
"As we're liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

'A Return To Love' (1992) by Marianne Williamson
RobinWall

Postby enid » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:52 pm

so how does UEA work exactly? You all seem to be based all over the place...the university is in Norwich isn't it? I was always a little put off as I am not keen on Norwich itself (sorry, do not mean to offend - just some bad experiences there) but it sounds like one could easily not live in Norwich and do training at UEA?
how is one assigned an area exactly? Do you get any say on the matter?

Many thanks!

edit2add: in fact my question is probably more simple and not actually for this thread so perhaps I will start a new one: 'is it better to live near the university or where your placements will be?'
enid

Postby RobinWall » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:59 pm

enid wrote:so how does UEA work exactly? You all seem to be based all over the place...the university is in Norwich isn't it? I was always a little put off as I am not keen on Norwich itself (sorry, do not mean to offend - just some bad experiences there) but it sounds like one could easily not live in Norwich and do training at UEA?
how is one assigned an area exactly? Do you get any say on the matter?

Many thanks!

Not meaning to hijack this post for all UEA candidates, but I am Norwich phobic too. :|

My great however many times grandad was the last person to be hung there. Apparently there was a huge party, about 100,000 people turned up to watch. His death mask is in Norwich castle.

So I don't think Norwich particularly likes my family! Although having said that, we did wonders for the local economy! :lol: Perhaps I should apply for UEA next year, and try to alter my family's tarnished image.

Robin
"As we're liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

'A Return To Love' (1992) by Marianne Williamson
RobinWall

Postby Han » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:00 pm

As far as I know, it's usually one day a week at the Uni in Norwich, then 3 days a week in placement within your base. They allocate you an area (UEA covers a large area of East Anglia) to make travelling to placement easier, so you're based there for the 3 years. You do get to give a preference of where you'd like to be based, and they recommend you live there, although there are 4 week teaching blocks in October and again around Easter so for those weeks you will be in Norwich the whole week.

Gilly, yep I'm going to start looking for a place in Cambridge nearer the time, and when we've heard from the course we will hopefully have more idea about what to do next.

Will you be moving to Bury? I've heard it's really lovely there too.
Han

Postby Gilly » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:01 pm

Han wrote:As far as I know, it's usually one day a week at the Uni in Norwich, then 3 days a week in placement within your base. They allocate you an area (UEA covers a large area of East Anglia) to make travelling to placement easier, so you're based there for the 3 years. You do get to give a preference of where you'd like to be based, and they recommend you live there, although there are 4 week teaching blocks in October and again around Easter so for those weeks you will be in Norwich the whole week.

poifect explanation - 4 of your 6 placements are based in and around your placement base (the 2 others are elective and may be elsewhere)

I think it might be a good idea Robin, OR it could be the perfect place to plan your revenge....

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.
Gilly

Postby enid » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:18 pm

Oh I see! many thanks! That's pretty cool, it's such a big area and I'd be happy with anywhere besides Norwich. Not sure how I'd explain that at interview though. anyway derail over. enjoy your time at UEA. :)
enid

Postby Gilly » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:29 pm

enid wrote:Oh I see! many thanks! That's pretty cool, it's such a big area and I'd be happy with anywhere besides Norwich. Not sure how I'd explain that at interview though. anyway derail over. enjoy your time at UEA. :)

Norwich and Cambridge are the two most popular areas, so i cant imagine they would have a problem fitting you to one of the other towns :D

Gilly

Postby lbdidi » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:42 pm

Han wrote:Hey you two! I just saw this and couldn't bear to leave you on your own any longer.

We know each other Gilly from good old Luton! I had a good feeling that you would make it on the course!

I'm based in Cambridge so not too far from either of you I think?

Getting excited about starting, if not a little daunted!

Hannah

Hi Hannah! Sorry I'm only just responding, had a ridiculously busy few days!

Really nice to hear from somebody else who will be starting the course :) It's great that you've got Cambridge as your base. I work in the centre at the moment and it's such a lovely place.

Looking forward to getting some more info about the course. I think I remember reading somewhere that trainees who aren't based in Norwich can stay there for the academic block in October? Anybody know anything about this?
lbdidi

Postby Gilly » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:45 pm

we can indeed - they pay for us to stay in halls for the first 4 weeks :) (and i think they pay for one trip equivalent back to your base each week)

Gilly

Postby Ruthie » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:01 pm

Gilly wrote:we can indeed - they pay for us to stay in halls for the first 4 weeks :) (and i think they pay for one trip equivalent back to your base each week)

Halls? In my day we country cottages in the Norfolk countryside! (Ok - I sound old now!)

Good luck guys! Like all courses it had its ups and downs (usually coinciding with deadlines and reflecting my own chaotic approach to academic worK) but on the whole I loved UEA when I was there and am really glad I choose to train there.

Enid - UEA covers a huge area and most trainees don't live in Norwich. IMHO one of the best things UEA have done is to give trainees placement bases and as far as possible all your placements will be within your base (or a neighbouring one). Aside from the obvious advantage of reducing commute time and giving you a decent chance at having some work-life balance, it can also mean you get to build up more relationships with local CPs. I think I felt much more part of the wider psychology system in the area I was based in than most trainees do during their training. Assuming it is the same when I was there, UEA will pay for your accommodation during teaching blocks (or daily travel if you prefer to commute) and then other than the day a week you travel to UEA for teaching, you need never set foot in Norwich if you don't want to!

Good luck UEAers - I feel quite nostalgic for it!

Ruthie
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken Him completely by surprise.
Ruthie

Postby lbdidi » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:22 pm

Thank you Gilly and Ruthie for that info- it's great that UEA provide accommodation for teaching blocks. Will be nice not to have to do the commute daily and to get to know everybody a bit better if we're all in one place for a while.

Really interesting to hear your views about the base system Ruthie. It's one of the things that made the UEA course stand out for me but I hadn't really thought about it in terms of building up relationships with local CPs so that just makes me like the idea even more :)
lbdidi

Postby enid » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:02 pm

fabulous! thanks ruthie. so you can live say, in cambridge, and all your placements will be in that area? how do they allocate you to a placement area? i would be worried about applying, being successful, then they say I am based in Norwich! :mrgreen:
enid

Postby Gilly » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:09 pm

enid wrote:fabulous! thanks ruthie. so you can live say, in cambridge, and all your placements will be in that area? how do they allocate you to a placement area? i would be worried about applying, being successful, then they say I am based in Norwich! :mrgreen:

you rank placement areas from 1 -7 based on preference. Norwich is quite popular, so i imagine you are unlikely to gt it by accident :)

Gilly

PreviousNext

Return to Clinical Doctorate Courses