Clinical course interview when visibly pregnant

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course

Clinical course interview when visibly pregnant

Postby laydee89 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:10 pm

Hi all, this is slightly unrelated but I'd be really interested to hear people's views. I have an interview for training next week and I am currently 33 weeks pregnant. Do people think I should tell the uni my current situation before I turn up with my very round tummy or that I'm not obliged to so it is up to me? If I were to be offered a place, I would ask to defer until 2017 but if that wasn't an option then I would start this September and hubby would take shared parental leave. Thanks in advance for thoughts!
laydee89

Re: Length of maternity leave

Postby miriam » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:01 pm

I've split this off as it really is a different question (and one we've discussed before, so you might find useful discussion if you use the search function with terms like "pregnant clinical interview" - from memory the answer was just turn up, as they aren't allowed to discriminate).
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
miriam
Site Admin

Re: Clinical course interview when visibly pregnant

Postby workingmama » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:51 am

It's been done before, so I'd just roll on up with the fat tum. I would (personally) find it odder if you rang before hand, as it would imply (to me) that you felt the course ought to know, or that you had some sort of obligation to 'admit' something. Bring on the waddlers! Very best of luck to you.
xxx
Fail, fail again, fail better.
workingmama
Team Member

Postby laydee89 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:57 pm

Thanks workingmama, those were my initial thoughts too! Good to have a second opinion :) and thanks for your good luck wishes! I shall waddle on up there and give it my best shot. Hopefully I'll be updating the thread with good news next week!
laydee89

Postby Loula » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:08 pm

Just to add to the other side- I had a colleague who was very anxious about this and decided to ring up both courses she was interviewing at. They were both completely fine and said she could defer. She found that helped her feel less anxious about the interviews and she was offered places on both.
Loula

Postby laydee89 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:56 pm

that's really reassuring to know, thanks Loula!
laydee89

Postby mm2222 » Wed May 04, 2016 10:00 am

Hi Laydee89, I just wondered how you got on? I was in a similar position myself, and have now been offered a place :lol: I'm waiting to hear if there are any options to defer, or if I will have to start this October.
mm2222

Postby beeny » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:37 pm

Just wanting to resurrect this old thread as I am in this position now - ill be about 33wks for my first interview and waddling into my second at 36wks (!!)...

Im pretty certain I would have to turn down a place if I was successful and they wouldn't defer (want to enjoy the experience of new motherhood/feel it would be overwhelming with a new baby/finances etc.) but its thrown up some seriously mixed feelings, even thinking about it in the hypothetical!

I'm just wondering if anyone in a similar position could update with what they ended up doing and how it went?
beeny

Postby maven » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:07 pm

If you already have an NHS job, can't you legally accept the offer but then be off on maternity leave when you are due to start, so they effectively have to defer the place?
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare
maven
Site Admin

Postby beeny » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:17 pm

That could work! But I dont work in the NHS at the moment unfortunately..
beeny

Postby Loula » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:11 pm

Have you checked whether the courses you're interviewing at would allow you to defer? I definitely know of a few trainees who have done this and the courses have made exception to the rules about deferring, seemingly without much fuss. I'm pretty sure most courses will have come across this before- I can think of at least 4 people I know who interviewed whilst pregnant (and interestingly all got on after multiple interviews in previous years- all put it down to being more laid back as priorities had definitely changed)
Loula

Postby beeny » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:40 am

I've been deliberating whether to even try and find out tbh - perhaps it best working on the assumption that these will be great for practice and feedback but not possible to defer. Ive felt that anxiety has definitely messed up previous interviews so will be interesting to see what the difference is without that pressure!
beeny

Return to Clinical Doctorate Courses