Staffordshire

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course

Staffordshire

Postby Syd2816 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:04 pm

Does anyone know whether the Staffordshire course would be commutable from south Manchester? I think stoke on trent is doable but not sure whether placements would be. Are the majority of placements more southern than stoke on trent, or are there any that are more northern? The alternative handbook does say that some people live in Manchester.

Thanks!
Syd2816

Staffordshire

Postby Bela » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:44 pm

I have a friend that got on that course this year and commutes from south Manchester. It sounds like a lengthy commute but she's doing it and managing! About 90mins each way in traffic I think. Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bela

Re: Staffordshire

Postby BrokenWings » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:08 pm

I'm a first year trainee at Staffs. I moved to Stoke (from Bristol), but there are about 4 people on the course who commute from the Manchester area and one from Liverpool (others live in the local area or in Birmingham). Our teaching days start at 10.00 and finish at 16.00, which is helpful for those that live further away. I haven't heard of any major problems. The uni is very close to the railway station so a lot of the trainees that live further out commute by train.

With regards to placements, most of the Manchester based trainees have got placements in the north of the area (Staffordshire is divided into North and South in terms of placements). They do try to take account of location when allocating placements, but learning needs are also taken into consideration. Placements can cover Staffordshire and Shropshire.

Good luck with your application! :)
BrokenWings

Re: Staffordshire

Postby Micro90 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:19 am

Hello! Hope you don't mind me crashing this thread!

I'm delighted to have been offered a place for 2017 and am trying to work out practicalities with my living arrangements. Would anyone who's on the doctorate at Staffs mind telling me about a standard week? Specifically, how many placement days / study days do you have? Do you have to be in Staffs for study days? Do you have any say over which days of the week are your study days?

Would really appreciate any insight with the above :)
Micro90

Return to Clinical Doctorate Courses