Manchester 2017

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course

Re: Manchester 2017

Postby CorbyKitten » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:08 am

I know it a little but mainly just the city centre, and we'll be looking a bit further out (due to finances and cats!) so any advice would be gratefully received!

Yes I did mine a couple of years ago. Try not to worry too much, you'll get there - and probably far quicker than you realise! I remember looking at everything I still had to write and thinking I'd never get it all done, and then I blinked and it was my viva!
CorbyKitten

Postby katewilliams87 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:46 am

CorbyKitten wrote:I know it a little but mainly just the city centre, and we'll be looking a bit further out (due to finances and cats!) so any advice would be gratefully received!

Yes I did mine a couple of years ago. Try not to worry too much, you'll get there - and probably far quicker than you realise! I remember looking at everything I still had to write and thinking I'd never get it all done, and then I blinked and it was my viva!

That's reassuring. I looked at the bigger PhD picture this week and thought 'Oh I'm about halfway' but then yesterday analysis/ongoing things cropped up and I don't feel that optimistic anymore. That tends to change quite frequently. But, I will take comfort in your wise words of it suddenly getting done! Not long to go now at least as I submit in August.

We have cats too and we bought our house just south of Stockport near Stepping Hill Hospital. It's a great, safe, quiet location and only about 20 mins by train to Manchester (about 30-40 mins drive, sometimes 1 hour in traffic). But, it's not where most people rent. So I guess I would recommend the classic areas of Didsbury and Chorlton which are lovely, have a good night life and cafe culture but they can be pricey. We used to live in Whalley Range (just next to Chorlton) and it's really nice there. My top recommendation would be Heaton Moor as it is a lovely area (10 mins train/20-30 mins drive) and people describe it as a "little Didsbury". It's a bit more affordable too. We used to rent there and wanted to stay but we were outpriced on the house prices... But, to be honest, anywhere south of Manchester is a good bet I'd say. There may also be areas north/E/W of Manchester but I'm not familiar with where is good.
katewilliams87

Postby CorbyKitten » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:22 am

I know it can feel never-ending, especially when things go wrong or crop up unexpectedly, but you're probably a lot further on than you think. And if you're not, you still have plenty of time to get there. Exciting times! Just think of the feeling once you submit - the relief is immense! Almost as good a feeling as getting on the clinical course :wink:

Thanks for the tips, that's really helpful. I've picked a few brains on this and Didsbury et al. seem to be top of everyone's lists! The other areas you mention sound a bit more within our means so we'll definitely keep a look out around those. I'm so excited about moving down, I really want to get started viewing some places now but annoyingly, it's apparently still too early! The estate agents obviously don't understand what I'm going through here!
CorbyKitten

Postby Loula » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:49 am

I trained at Manchester and Didsbury was definitely the most popular place to live, but actually we were a really spread out cohort. I would recommend looking at bus routes for getting to uni as piccadilly station is about a mile from the university and it is always raining! So most Manchester based people used the bus, cycled or drove instead (although parking is a bit of a pain /expensive, but can work if you car share).
Loula

Postby katewilliams87 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:11 pm

That's a really good point re buses and also parking. It's also very difficult to park around the University. But, you can now get parking permits when you're registered as a postgrad at Manchester so there is always that option (about £20- 25 per month).
katewilliams87

Postby katewilliams87 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:17 pm

CorbyKitten wrote:I know it can feel never-ending, especially when things go wrong or crop up unexpectedly, but you're probably a lot further on than you think. And if you're not, you still have plenty of time to get there. Exciting times! Just think of the feeling once you submit - the relief is immense! Almost as good a feeling as getting on the clinical course :wink:

Thanks for the tips, that's really helpful. I've picked a few brains on this and Didsbury et al. seem to be top of everyone's lists! The other areas you mention sound a bit more within our means so we'll definitely keep a look out around those. I'm so excited about moving down, I really want to get started viewing some places now but annoyingly, it's apparently still too early! The estate agents obviously don't understand what I'm going through here!

Thanks :-) Reassuring to hear! I am so excited for the feeling once I submit - I'm feeling really tired with all of it now.

Good luck with the search and managing the estate agents. I was always keen to look early (say 2 months before wanting to move) but the Manchester market seems to move quickly and so sometimes they are looking to fill places within 2-4 weeks... crazy! I'm excited to hear where you find somewhere!
katewilliams87

Postby CorbyKitten » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:51 pm

Thank you both for the tips - I'd been focusing on train and tram stations and hadn't even thought about buses, so thanks for the heads up.

I'm a bit anxious about finding a place because we're so far away so we can't just drop everything to go and view an amazing place that's just come up - it'll be more like we plan a trip down and just have to view whatever's available that day. I just hope we can find something decent in a minimal number of trips. I'll certainly let you know how we get on katewilliams87 :)
CorbyKitten

Postby katewilliams87 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:25 pm

I can understand that. The benefit of a quick market is that lots of places do come up regularly and then if you're here for a few days, you'll hopefully see somewhere in that time, view it, and then take it.
You could also put your name down with a few agents and tell them what you want and about your current situation, and then they may be able to call you when places do come up. Fingers all crossed for your search!
katewilliams87

Postby CorbyKitten » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:22 pm

This is true! Yes, I think that's what we'll do. Thanks, I'll let you know how we get on. All the best for the write-up!
CorbyKitten

Postby katewilliams87 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:32 pm

CorbyKitten wrote:This is true! Yes, I think that's what we'll do. Thanks, I'll let you know how we get on. All the best for the write-up!

Thanks! Had a quick thought - Julian Wadden and Philip James are pretty hot agents for Didsbury/Chorlton etc. Might be good to approach them first.
katewilliams87

Postby CorbyKitten » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:37 pm

Great, thanks!
CorbyKitten

Postby CorbyKitten » Tue May 09, 2017 5:01 pm

Wow, still no more?! Maybe it'll just be the three of us :shock:
CorbyKitten

Postby nicolaannolive » Sun May 21, 2017 7:15 pm

Corbykitten, I am surprised too! Really hoping more people contribute to this thread.
nicolaannolive

Postby CorbyKitten » Tue May 23, 2017 12:36 pm

I thought maybe some peeps were waiting until after the Liverpool interviews, and looks like their offers are out now so maybe we'll start to see more coming through over the next couple of days :)
CorbyKitten

Postby nicolaannolive » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:03 pm

In just over two months we will be starting on the course, how are you both feeling? Seems a long time ago that I started this thread, are there any more Manchester peeps out there 8)
nicolaannolive

PreviousNext

Return to Clinical Doctorate Courses