Leicester 2017

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course

Leicester 2017

Postby CaptainHazza » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:16 pm

Hi all!

Setting up this thread for those who will be part of the 2017 cohort! Really looking forward to meeting you all.

I'll be moving from Worcester to Leicestershire in early September, so not a huge move but different nonetheless!
CaptainHazza

Re: Leicester 2017

Postby Midlandia » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:59 pm

Hi and congrats on your offer! :D

I'm starting in September too. It still doesn't feel real - I guess I spent so many years trying to get here, I can't quite believe it's happened.

I'm a Leicester local so if you need any advice on places to live, give me a shout!
Midlandia

Postby CaptainHazza » Tue May 02, 2017 6:49 pm

How exciting! I can only imagine how it would feel if you've been trying for years, putting plans and life on hold for just the one year was hard enough (it's the not knowing thats unbearable!)

We are looking to move to just south of Leicester, either Lutterworth or Broughton Astley. My wife's family lives in rugby so we are hoping to be somewhere in between but with easy access to the M1 for all the travelling to placements.

Which day did you interview? I'm so excited to meet everyone...

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
CaptainHazza

Postby Midlandia » Wed May 03, 2017 7:59 pm

Ah that sounds good, nice and convenient for family and the course! There are some lovely places down that way, you'll be spoilt for choice. :)

To be honest I'd all but given up on clinical, I was busy pursuing other career options last year but applied anyway because I still wanted to deep down.

I interviewed on the Tuesday, what about you? Everyone on my interview day was so nice - there was a really good atmosphere compared to other interviews where things felt a bit edgy. :lol:
Midlandia

Postby Yorkie2017 » Thu May 04, 2017 3:32 pm

Hi guys,

I am starting in September, too. It's really exciting to be finally starting this journey. I can't believe us three will make up a quarter of the cohort! I'm excited to meet everyone. Are you both going to the research event?

I am also going to be moving to the Leicester area from Doncaster. I have been trying to do lots of searches about areas that are cosy to live in, but would appreciate any crucially important information you may have?

It feels strange that there's still so long to go before we start. Time to chill before the hard work, though!
Yorkie2017

Postby CaptainHazza » Sat May 06, 2017 9:49 am

Midlandia wrote:Ah that sounds good, nice and convenient for family and the course! There are some lovely places down that way, you'll be spoilt for choice. :)

To be honest I'd all but given up on clinical, I was busy pursuing other career options last year but applied anyway because I still wanted to deep down.

I interviewed on the Tuesday, what about you? Everyone on my interview day was so nice - there was a really good atmosphere compared to other interviews where things felt a bit edgy. :lol:

And a good job you did, eh? Haha.

We are going to do some driving around next weekend to have a look at all the little villages to work out which would be best - also considering budget and travel! This'll be the first time since uni that I've lived somewhere that I have next to no experience or prior knowledge of...Exciting and anxiety provoking in equal measure.

CaptainHazza

Postby CaptainHazza » Sat May 06, 2017 9:54 am

Yorkie2017 wrote:Hi guys,

I am starting in September, too. It's really exciting to be finally starting this journey. I can't believe us three will make up a quarter of the cohort! I'm excited to meet everyone. Are you both going to the research event?

I am also going to be moving to the Leicester area from Doncaster. I have been trying to do lots of searches about areas that are cosy to live in, but would appreciate any crucially important information you may have?

It feels strange that there's still so long to go before we start. Time to chill before the hard work, though!

I'll be going to the research event, seems like a good opportunity to meet you all!

CaptainHazza

Postby GracePsych » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:12 pm

Hey! I'm also in the 2017 Leicester cohort! I still can't quite believe it's happening but i'm so excited :D :D :D I'll be at the conference on the 19th so I look forward to meeting you all there!

I currently live in Nottingham, so am going to attempt the commute and just see how it goes...the M1 south bound is a nightmare in the mornings so i'm preparing myself for very early starts!

How is everyone feeling about starting?
GracePsych

Postby CaptainHazza » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:31 pm

Hi Grace! Congratulations!
There's so much still to do and so many things to focus on, I've hardly had a chance to think about the actual course and its content! It was almost a relief for the process to be over and not have to worry about it for a few months!

It's looking like we are going to be moving to Ruby now, so a similar commute as you Grace. Not sure M1 Northbound is any better....

CaptainHazza

Postby GracePsych » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:28 am

We can share that struggle then! Rugby/Warwickshire is lovely :D

I'm the same, I've been making the most of not having to stress or revise but probably should start thinking about the course and other more important things such as what colour stationary to buy ( :P )
GracePsych

Postby Yorkie2017 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:09 pm

Welcome to the cohort, Grace!!

Ooh, I've already got myself lots of pretty stationery. Ha, ha, it is so funny we're placing that high on the list! I have turned my focus onto houses now, so my stress levels have remained high but I hope to chill out for a bit before the course kicks in. All you hear is that it's intense so I want to start from zero.

It is difficult to know what the commutes will truly be like. I'm hoping to move near Loughborough. We'll all have to compare notes!

Grace, were you interviewed on the Monday? I think I remember you, if so!

It is really strange we're all still ages off meeting. I'm looking forward to the research event.
Yorkie2017

Postby GracePsych » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:45 am

Thank you!!

Loughborough is a very good shout, the commute won't be too terrible! I guess it's going to change every 6 months to a year for placements and we could be as far south as Northamptonshire (eek).

Yes, I did interview on the Monday, what's your name? I already know two of the other girls in the cohort (small world), it's nice knowing that not everybody will be strangers!
GracePsych

Postby CaptainHazza » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:03 pm

I can't believe you're both prioritising stationary! I think I've got a few biros and a couple of pads lying around...

Not just as far south as Northamptonshire, but as far north as Lincolnshire - big old area!

How do you know two of the other girls? That's quite a coincidence! I don't suppose anyone knows of another male in the group? I know the current first years were an all-female cohort.

As we will be renting, it's unlikely we will know where we're going to live until around 5 weeks before course starts, which is nerve wracking!

CaptainHazza

Postby GemLH » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:46 pm

Hi guys!
I'm also going to be starting at Leicester this year - well done us eh!!
Looking forward to meeting you all, I won't be at the research conference as I'm squeezing in a last minute holiday before our official start day :)
I'll be commuting over from Derby so will be joining some of you on the M1 slog :shock:
Browsing pretty stationary is literally how I'm spending most of my lunch breaks at the momennt haha! Good to know we have something in common already!
X
GemLH

Postby GracePsych » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:17 pm

Stationary is very important...

I worked with one of the girls for a few years, and the other I met during last years application process :) I'm sure there are a couple of guys in the cohort (don't hold me to that though)
GracePsych

Next

Return to Clinical Doctorate Courses