Coventry & Warwick 2017

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course

Coventry & Warwick 2017

Postby JeanJean » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:17 pm

Hi everyone,

I just thought I'd start this thread for anyone who has been accepted into the Coventry & Warwick doctorate this year (congratulations!) and who happens to be knocking about this forum. I got a really great vibe from the interviews so I'm sure Cov & Warwick pick lovely people and I'm really looking forward to getting to know you all. It's also (so far) been a little bit confusing and stressful in terms of contemplating packing up and moving, finding a good place to live in the local areas, figuring out commutes and travel costs etc., so I thought that this could possibly be a good way for us to offer some support and information to each other so that we're not all trying to figure it out alone?

Anyone from other years of the course is obviously very welcome too; I'm sure I don't speak for just myself when I say that we'd love to hear from you!!

Hannah :)
JeanJean

Re: Coventry & Warwick 2017

Postby Stewpot » Sat May 13, 2017 10:47 am

Hi Hannah,

Many congratulations on getting a place at Coventry and Warwick!! I'll be joining you there this year which is very exciting! I got such a great vibe from the interview day as well, all of the staff and students were lovely and so I think we've made a fantastic choice.

I was really pleased to come across your post as I've been hoping to get in touch with others on the course. I'm also a little unsure about living arrangements etc and it would be great to discuss this with others. Where are you moving from?

It's nice to meet you :D

Amy
Stewpot

Postby wysiwyg13 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:57 am

Congratulations on getting a place

I am a second year trainee. In terms of where to live, people in my cohort are spread all over. Placements can be in Herefordshire, Worcestershire or Warwickshire. We have 3 people Herefordshire way in our cohort so luckily they have requested and have been given Herefordshire placements but if you had none in your cohort living that way anyone could get a placement there in theory. If you are placed there, they will pay for a b&b for your placement days.

Uni days are in Coventry. Up until recently I lived in Leamington which is good for getting to Cov (I have now moved to a village about 7 miles out for some countryside living!). I have had placements in Nuneaton (which should take around 40 mins but in traffic took around an hour), Stratford (easy 30 mins max journey) and Redditch which is 40 mins. But some people have had much longer commutes depending on where they live.

When you claim expenses they calculate from the hospital in Warwick as that's the official base, so in theory the closer you live to Warwick hospital the more money you will get when you claim. But getting from Warwick to Leamington (if you had to for placement) in a morning is an absolute nightmare so I would say Leamington would be a better bet. Having said that, my cohort live in

Leamington

Warwick

Stratford upon Avon

Rugby

Coventry

Hereford

And we have a few people living much further out, Sutton Coldfield (Birmingham way) Peterborough and Gloucestershire. I think it can take them 1.5 hours to get to uni, and much longer for placements depending on where they are.

So there isn't really a good answer- I suppose initially Leamington or Coventry would be a good place to start off.

For now, just bask in the excitement about starting the course :D and don't do any reading or anything before you start. Enjoy yourself, go on holiday etc :D
wysiwyg13

Postby Mikel Arteta » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:52 pm

Hi everyone,

I trained at Coventry (2011-2014), which was an excellent experience overall. I'm sure you're all soon to settle into course life, but if any of you have any Coventry related or course questions (could be about placements, teaching, assignments, etc.), or just general advice/support, please drop me a line.

Two words of advice 'enjoy it'! :)
Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly, all your life
you were only waiting for this moment to arise
:)
Mikel Arteta

Return to Clinical Doctorate Courses