Current Surrey trainees?

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course

Current Surrey trainees?

Postby sparkling » Tue May 09, 2017 8:20 am

Hello!

I've just found out I have a got a place (at last!) and have some questions if anyone can help? Mainly around timings since I have two toddlers to somehow look after too! I can see from previous posts that it's generally two days teaching on Monday and Tuesday, with a half day study, and then 3 days on placement? With teaching blocks at the start of the year?

Are teaching days 9-5 every day? And are placements the same or 9-5.30? Any option on the latter to work through a lunch break? Assuming not really.

Also in terms of placements - are trying majority within say an hour's drive or not? I know we can be sent to five counties now, I just wanted to get an idea of how they were spread.

Thanks everyone. The sums for childcare fulltime are eye watering but determined to make it work!
sparkling

Re: Current Surrey trainees?

Postby ClinPsyOo » Tue May 09, 2017 8:48 am

Hello Sparkling,

I am not a Surrey trainee but I have been offered a place at Salomons and I am also trying to figure out how to make it work with my 11 months baby. As the courses are linked in terms of placements, I thought I would highjack the thread a little bit to ask if anyone has information that would apply to both Surrey and Salomons, and also to tell you CONGRATULATIONS on your place at Surrey and that we CAN do this :)

X
ClinPsyOo

Postby ebeck » Tue May 09, 2017 9:32 am

sparkling wrote:Hello!

I've just found out I have a got a place (at last!) and have some questions if anyone can help? Mainly around timings since I have two toddlers to somehow look after too! I can see from previous posts that it's generally two days teaching on Monday and Tuesday, with a half day study, and then 3 days on placement? With teaching blocks at the start of the year?

Are teaching days 9-5 every day? And are placements the same or 9-5.30? Any option on the latter to work through a lunch break? Assuming not really.

Also in terms of placements - are trying majority within say an hour's drive or not? I know we can be sent to five counties now, I just wanted to get an idea of how they were spread.

Thanks everyone. The sums for childcare fulltime are eye watering but determined to make it work!

Hi Sparkling

I work for Sussex Partnership in West Sussex, so we have lots of trainees coming through in our service. I've had similar questions as a mum as well. What they told me is that teaching is as you say two days per week. Some teaching starts at 9am, some at 9.30am and some at 10am and generally it goes on to 4.30pm or 5pm.

Community services in West Sussex generally seem to be 9-5 with a half hour break. I live a few miles from the Surrey campus and have found I can get to central Horsham in 45 mins by car, to Crawley or Worthing locations in 50-60 minutes. I've never had cause to try Bognor but I think it would also be similar. It's all very doable and quite a pleasant commute, going against the traffic coming in to Guildford. If it were me, I'd be asking not to be sent into South London but out into the sticks (Surrey and West Sussex) so I can go by car and have more control around getting to placement and getting out if I need to get to the kids suddenly. What trainees have told me is that the London ones are popular among the younger/non-parents who have chosen to live in London, commute to Surrey for uni days and then have an easier journey for placements, and wouldn't want the leafy Surrey/Sussex ones, so it tends to work out and anyway the uni give you a bit more support regarding placement locations, knowing you've got dependants.

Now you've been offered your place I am sure you can ask the uni for sample timetables etc so you can get a better idea of what you're looking at.

Best of luck!

With regards to
ebeck

Postby sparkling » Tue May 09, 2017 10:02 am

Hi ClinPsyOo and ebeck – thankyou!

ClinPsyOo – congrats on your little one. We can do this. I hope!! Of course you can hijack the post, hope someone can help.

ebeck – really really useful information. Thankyou for that. I’m about 25 minutes up the A3 to the university from the London end but agree that being able to drive would generally be quicker than my trains into London etc, thankyou. Is it possible in practice to ask for more Surrey-based areas and do they really take into account your caring commitments in practice? Also, can you arrange with placements to do 2 days one week and 3 the next, to give a clear study day every 2 weeks instead?

xx
sparkling

Postby han10 » Tue May 09, 2017 10:40 am

I can't speak for Surrey, however from my experience our course asked for preferences on placements - we had a tick list that said what are our priorities ofr each placement - location, supervisor therapuetic approach etc. Some on our course didn't drive and they were accomodated for and the course did take into account other commitments eg dependents as far as possible although learning needs were their priority.

Again with placement/study days this is often negotiated with individual supervisors on each placement, I think I often had 2 days/3days agreed to as long as it fitted with the service. I also often worked 8-4 on placements as because location was less of an issue for me I had longer commutes and it helped with the traffic where I trained.

Being open with the course and discussing accomodations is often the best thing - it might be a bit difficult for the course to commit to anything right now as supervisors change and lots of other variables occur but do keep talking to them once you have started and by all means have some hypothetical/planning conversations now
han10

Postby MarkM » Tue May 09, 2017 8:37 pm

ClinPsyOo wrote:Hello Sparkling,

I am not a Surrey trainee but I have been offered a place at Salomons and I am also trying to figure out how to make it work with my 11 months baby. As the courses are linked in terms of placements, I thought I would highjack the thread a little bit to ask if anyone has information that would apply to both Surrey and Salomons, and also to tell you CONGRATULATIONS on your place at Surrey and that we CAN do this :)

X

Hi ClinPsyOo,

I'm at Salomons, and whilst I am not a parent, there are quite a few parents in my cohort (and in the years above and below). They have said that the course have been very supportive and understanding, but have also highlighted that it is very demanding. I mean training is tough as it is, as you surely know (: do make sure you look after yourself and rely on support from others where possible (: In terms of placements, I think it's not always possible to have a placement nearby, but I think they do take it into account when allocating placements. Officially they usually say they try to take where you live into account but can't guarantee anything. However, there's also a space for personal circumstances and caring responsibilities, if I remember correctly. One of my friends (who is a parent) has been quite fortunate with all her placement locations thus far, which really does seem to make a difference.

Sorry that's all indirect, hopefully someone else can add a bit more to this.

Congratulations and best of luck!
:cat: I like cats! :cat:
MarkM

Postby ClinPsyOo » Tue May 09, 2017 9:31 pm

Thank you MarkM!
I have just been offered a place at UEL too and your message is very useful as I am gathering information to make my decision. I think I am going to call both courses to get a feel of the flexibility in terms of placements, etc...

Thank you again :) !
ClinPsyOo

Postby velizabethrose » Sun May 21, 2017 12:25 pm

Hi,
I'm a current Surrey trainee. I live in SW London and drive to Surrey down the A3 for University days (Monday and Tuesdays).
Our first year adult placement is chosen for us and generally is the closest available placement to our home addresses. The course, I think, puts a lot of thought into giving you a placement that's nearby and well suited.
For subsequent core placements we make up to 3 preferences from the list. Not everyone is satisfied by this but most are (like 26/30 get a top 3). And if you have a health condition or caring responsibilities or any other particular needs these will always be attended to.
Surrey provide travel expenses (but r.e. petrol, your journey to placement has to be further than your home to base (University) millage, so to make it worthwhile you're best living as close to Guildford as possible). They also compensate public transport.
velizabethrose

Postby psych1 » Fri May 26, 2017 9:34 pm

Hi,

Please can any Surrey trainees tell me if they use exams in the course and the number of study days in each year.

Thanks
psych1

Return to Clinical Doctorate Courses