Surrey 2017!

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course

Re: Surrey 2017!

Postby Tlf » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:00 am

sparkling wrote:Hi everyone! Would be great if someone could set up a facebook group. I have zero idea how – lets chat at the open afternoon maybe?
I was wondering what people were doing about handing in notice to their current jobs (if you need to?) Does anyone know when we get our actual contract? I have a 3 month notice period (and only started 4 weeks ago sob) so pretty much need to give it now so I have a few weeks to sort the house and by clothes etc. But I don’t think we will get a contract before that? I would hope nothing goes wrong of course but…
I live in Walton on Thames in Surrey and won't be moving but don't know much about good value areas to rent. Happy to help with finding nice areas to live though!!

I handed my notice in yesterday! Very exciting but scary! I wanted a couple of weeks off before the course so thought I would go sooner rather than later.
Tlf

Postby shevy1 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:28 pm

I've received the PMs, I will set the group up tonight!

I'm moving with my partner and we have a dog (Shevy - hence the name) :lol: ...we have started looking now as we know how difficult it is to find the right place that accepts pets :( The only websites I've found with pet filters are OpenRent, Zoopla & SpareRoom.

Does anyone know when we will likely receive our contracts? I've had a landlord apprehensive as I've handed in my notice and he wanted at least 1 year contract to know he will be getting paid for the next 12 months :lol:
shevy1

Postby shevy1 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:31 pm

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1150758 ... ctivities/

here is the link to the group for anyone who wants to join :) (let me know if it doesn't work!)
shevy1

Postby tasha236 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:52 am

Thank you everyone for all the tips!

It'd be really useful, not really knowing Guildford, to find out which areas in particular would be nice to rent in and which are to be avoided? From a quick perusal of spareroom it does seem rent prices are high in Guildford itself (though I'm very aware the northeast is dirt cheap in that regard!) so I will definitely have a look at some of the places suggested slightly further out.

As for contracts, I've no clue when they are given to us now that you mention it! I suppose it probably won't be until we start as even after the OH and DBS checks are complete there won't really be an opportunity to sign them before this.

Shevy1 - Thank you for setting up the group! I've sent a join request this morning.

Do people need to dash after the introductory day or would anyone fancy grabbing dinner? I'm driving back to Middlesbrough that night but am more than happy to wait until after rush hour to set off!
tasha236

Postby LauraRose » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:07 pm

Hi again everyone!

I can't offer any insight about contracts either I'm afraid - hopefully they will let us know at the intro afternoon.
Good luck to everyone looking for new places to live! I've just done it and it can definitely feel quite stressful at times! Exciting though too hopefully.

Thank you for the group Shevy1

Tasha236 - I won't be in any rush so would be up for dinner after. Also, I think you may work with my cousin Emma (CP), unless there is someone else moving from Middlesborough :)

Looking forward to seeing you all in a month!
Laura x
LauraRose

Postby sparkling » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:11 am

I've got the official offer now online? I'm not sure about contracts though still.

Thanks for setting up the group - will try to join now!

I have a copy of last year's timetable when I asked for more idea so happy to try to post it to the group (if my IT skills let me!!) if anyone's interested.

Re renting - I'm kinda local (20/30 mins) but I don't know the areas right around there. Guildford is lovely though and the train is good so it doesn't surprise me rents would be high. We are trying to buy locally and the prices are a killer so I would be interested in the answer too!

Re dinner after - would love that (and a few drinks) but am dumping my kids with the parentals so can't really do that to them I'm afraid :shock:

xx
sparkling

Postby mkd » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:20 pm

Hi everyone! I'll be moving from Manchester and think I'll be living in South London. I've sent my occ health form back but not had my DBS email yet! I've been checking my junk and emailed them but nothing yet. Not going to be able to go to the afternoon as I'll be on holiday but looking forward to meeting you all in September!
mkd

Postby shevy1 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:52 pm

tasha236 wrote:Thank you everyone for all the tips!

It'd be really useful, not really knowing Guildford, to find out which areas in particular would be nice to rent in and which are to be avoided? From a quick perusal of spareroom it does seem rent prices are high in Guildford itself (though I'm very aware the northeast is dirt cheap in that regard!) so I will definitely have a look at some of the places suggested slightly further out.

As for contracts, I've no clue when they are given to us now that you mention it! I suppose it probably won't be until we start as even after the OH and DBS checks are complete there won't really be an opportunity to sign them before this.

Shevy1 - Thank you for setting up the group! I've sent a join request this morning.

Do people need to dash after the introductory day or would anyone fancy grabbing dinner? I'm driving back to Middlesbrough that night but am more than happy to wait until after rush hour to set off!

I would be up for dinner too! :)
shevy1

Previous

Return to Clinical Doctorate Courses