Lancaster 2017

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course

Lancaster 2017

Postby ChrisCross » Wed May 17, 2017 7:00 pm

Hi all!

Couldn't see a thread for Lancaster so thought I would get the ball rolling. I've accepted my offer through the clearing house and it's all starting to feel very real! :shock:

I'm going to be moving from the West Midlands so it will be a bit of a trek up north. Are there any locals or current trainees on the forum who can recommend any nice places to live?

Looking forward to meeting everyone in Sept :D :D
ChrisCross

Re: Lancaster 2017

Postby RJParker » Thu May 18, 2017 8:30 am

You may want to consider the way travel expenses work when looking at where to live. These are calculated with Lancaster University as your base. You can claim for mileage above your home to base distance. This means that if you live in Lancaster but get a placement in Manchester, you can claim nearly all of the travelling costs. Alternatively if you live in Manchester and are placed in Lancaster, you won't get any expenses until you go over the ~50 miles you’d normally travel to get to the university.

Placements are allocated based firstly on the competencies that trainees need to display (your learning needs) and then on your geographic location. As such, the programme will contact you before you join us in September to confirm where you will be based so we can do the first placement allocations. We are normally able to tell you where your first placement (child) will be during your first week of induction.
RJParker

Postby ChrisCross » Thu May 18, 2017 6:54 pm

RJParker wrote:You may want to consider the way travel expenses work when looking at where to live. These are calculated with Lancaster University as your base. You can claim for mileage above your home to base distance. This means that if you live in Lancaster but get a placement in Manchester, you can claim nearly all of the travelling costs. Alternatively if you live in Manchester and are placed in Lancaster, you won't get any expenses until you go over the ~50 miles you’d normally travel to get to the university.

Placements are allocated based firstly on the competencies that trainees need to display (your learning needs) and then on your geographic location. As such, the programme will contact you before you join us in September to confirm where you will be based so we can do the first placement allocations. We are normally able to tell you where your first placement (child) will be during your first week of induction.

That's good to know - thanks Rob, I'll bear that in mind :)
ChrisCross

Postby SuzyBe » Fri May 26, 2017 7:17 pm

Hi, I will be joining you in September! I'm also relocating from the midlands (Leicester) did you interview on the Wednesday afternoon? If you did I was in the light pink shirt. Looking forward to meeting you!

Suzy
SuzyBe

Postby ChrisCross » Sat May 27, 2017 2:57 pm

Hi Suzy :) awesome news, congratulations! Has it sunk in for you yet?

I interviewed on Wednesday morning so could have seen you as I was leaving maybe? I was wearing a waistcoat with blue shirt and tie.
ChrisCross

Postby SuzyBe » Wed May 31, 2017 9:25 pm

I think I'm in that limbo of it's sunk in but I've got so much to think about practicality wise I'm struggling to just take on the fact that I'm finally on and can start the next part of my life! What about you?

I don't think I saw you, ive just seen so many on here who interviewed at the same time getting on together! Not long till we all meet now anyway!
SuzyBe

Postby Roz93 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:33 pm

Hi Chris, Suzy!

Overwhelmed and a little in shock to say that I'll be joining you in Lancaster next year! :D I'll be living close by - I actually went to Lancaster for my undergrad so I know a little about the area if you want any tips :)

Excited to start! :D
"Imagine others complexly" - John Green.
Roz93

Postby ChrisCross » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:33 pm

Great news Roz, congratulations!! You must be ecstatic :D Have been browsing property sites for places to rent but don't know much about the area. I'll be moving up with my partner so hopefully I'll feel more settled but it's going to be a big change for sure.

I feel a bit like you, Suzy, lots to take in and I really wasn't expecting to get on this year (not that I am complaining!)
ChrisCross

Postby RJParker » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:17 am

If you need area advice then we can help out - just give us a ring and we can give you the lowdown on an area :D
RJParker

Postby Roz93 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:42 pm

ChrisCross wrote:Great news Roz, congratulations!! You must be ecstatic :D Have been browsing property sites for places to rent but don't know much about the area. I'll be moving up with my partner so hopefully I'll feel more settled but it's going to be a big change for sure.

I feel a bit like you, Suzy, lots to take in and I really wasn't expecting to get on this year (not that I am complaining!)

I think we're all in shock! Feeling very underprepared right now :lol: Congratulations to you both :)

What do you guys think about potentially setting up a facebook group before the course starts? Would be good to get to know you all a bit (and learn faces and names a little)!
"Imagine others complexly" - John Green.
Roz93

Return to Clinical Doctorate Courses