Exeter 2017

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course

Exeter 2017

Postby JenEli » Mon May 29, 2017 11:30 am

Hey!

Anyone got a place at Exeter and moving?

My placement base in Barnstaple so just wondering what others are thinking about where to live etc

I'm thinking of basing myself on Exeter and commuting to the placement. Living in barstaple sounds potentially dull.

:)
JenEli

Re: Exeter 2017

Postby southwest1 » Wed May 31, 2017 10:00 am

Hi!

i have been offered the Exeter placement base so will also be relocating to Exeter in September. I've heard of others in previous years who live in Exeter when based in north Devon so I reckon it's a good idea if you don't fancy the rural aspect!

Do you have any idea of the start date?

Looking forward to meeting everyone!
southwest1

Postby JenEli » Wed May 31, 2017 9:50 pm

I'm pretty sure it will be week commencing 25th September!

I'm a bit nervous about the move but I guess we'll all be in the same boat at least!
JenEli

Postby southwest1 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:00 am

Thanks! That gives me a bit more time to sort out my life! No idea where to start looking for accommodation. Need to sort out buying a car too...

I'm nervous too! Big move. Where are you relocating from?
southwest1

Postby firegal » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:10 am

JenEli wrote:Hey!

My placement base in Barnstaple so just wondering what others are thinking about where to live etc

I'm thinking of basing myself on Exeter and commuting to the placement. Living in barstaple sounds potentially dull.

Thought I'd wave at you cos though I'm on training in Birmingham, Barnstaple is actually my home town!
It's totally up to you but honestly, commuting from Exeter to Barnstaple is a trek and you will get seriously fed up of the link road. If you end up doing any placements in community teams you will end up doing a lot of driving anyway and the last thing you'll want to do is drive to Exeter at the end of the day. Barnstaple to Exeter is at least an hour on a good day, and from my understanding if you're based in Barnstaple your placement could be anywhere in North Devon so you could easily be adding another 30-40 mins to that depending on where your actual placement is. This is coming from someone who was working in CAMHS Assertive Outreach in Devon - I covered most of North Devon and had team meetings in Tiverton every week and that was knackering enough, I occasionally covered some cases in Exeter and I felt like my entire day was spent in my car, I lost a lot of my time to myself in the evenings.

You're right in that Barnstaple is not necessarily the most thrilling place in the world, but it is far from dead, there is decent shopping and good pubs, a handful of clubs, leisure centre, gyms etc, and plenty of nice places to walk. I'd say it's much easier to base yourself in Barnstaple and head into Exeter when you have time to kill and want to hit the city :)
firegal

Postby JenEli » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:08 pm

southwest1 wrote:Thanks! That gives me a bit more time to sort out my life! No idea where to start looking for accommodation. Need to sort out buying a car too...

I'm nervous too! Big move. Where are you relocating from?

Loads of time!
I'm looking on spare room but its a bit early I think. I want to live with one or two others for now. I thought about contacting the other trainees and getting a house together with a couple but I cant decide if that would be too much psychology! It would be good to try and get to know a mix of people I guess.

I'm moving from Oxford, yourself?

I'm Jenny by the way :) since we will be on training together!!
JenEli

Postby JenEli » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:14 pm

firegal wrote:
JenEli wrote:Hey!

Thought I'd wave at you cos though I'm on training in Birmingham, Barnstaple is actually my home town!
It's totally up to you but honestly, commuting from Exeter to Barnstaple is a trek and you will get seriously fed up of the link road. If you end up doing any placements in community teams you will end up doing a lot of driving anyway and the last thing you'll want to do is drive to Exeter at the end of the day. Barnstaple to Exeter is at least an hour on a good day, and from my understanding if you're based in Barnstaple your placement could be anywhere in North Devon so you could easily be adding another 30-40 mins to that depending on where your actual placement is. This is coming from someone who was working in CAMHS Assertive Outreach in Devon - I covered most of North Devon and had team meetings in Tiverton every week and that was knackering enough, I occasionally covered some cases in Exeter and I felt like my entire day was spent in my car, I lost a lot of my time to myself in the evenings.

You're right in that Barnstaple is not necessarily the most thrilling place in the world, but it is far from dead, there is decent shopping and good pubs, a handful of clubs, leisure centre, gyms etc, and plenty of nice places to walk. I'd say it's much easier to base yourself in Barnstaple and head into Exeter when you have time to kill and want to hit the city :)

Hey,

Thanks this is really helpful. God I honestly don't know what to do. I commute about 45 - 60 mins to work at the moment and it doesn't bother me at all. Its a nice, easy drive through and I hear the road to Barnstaple isn't great. I think placement is three days a week until June so might give Exeter a go until then. Although the uni pay expenses from barnstaple and a B&B on teaching days in Exeter, but not the other way around. I think my primary concern is being a bit isolated in Barnstaple...

God you think getting on training and then everything falls into place. If only eh! Thanks for the help :)
JenEli

Postby charlie27 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:35 pm

Hi all,

I am also going to be starting training at Exeter this year :D
I will be relocating from Newport, South Wales. My placement base is also North/Mid Devon so I'm trying to figure out where is best to live as well. @JenEli I have exactly the same feelings as you about not wanting to live somewhere too rural but also not wanting to be a million miles away from my placements. Tough decisions, eh!
I'd be keen to speak to any current Exeter trainees with the same placement base as us and see what they do/recommend. I know the area covers Barnstaple, Ilfracombe etc. but also goes as far down as Tiverton and Crediton which are much closer to Exeter so it's tricky to say where we should place ourselves.

I'm going to be super nervous for the big move too - glad the feeling is mutual.

I emailed a few days ago to find out the start date so I can figure out when to hand my notice in for my current job and you're right - it's Monday 25th September. They said we'll get more information towards the end of June so I'm hoping they might put us in touch with some current trainees/give us some recommendations about where to live then :)

If you want to message me privately, please feel free.

Excited to meet everyone! :)
charlie27

Postby liberty » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:13 pm

Maybe I can help you a bit here too.

I finished the Exeter course last September. I was a Devon trainee for the whole 3 years and my final year was partially spent on placement in Barnstaple. This was a long commute from Exeter, which would be hard to do even 3 times a week (I was there only 1 day a week). It might be good to contact the course to ask more specifically about your placement location for the next 3 years. When I did the course (2013-2016) we didn't have necessarily North Devon trainees, we were all rather allocated to Devon and worked in North, Mid and Exeter areas throughout at different times. I lived in Exeter and this worked really well, although for some of my placements there were long commutes (I felt these were reimbursed well though). I don't know whether anything changed since it covers a slightly different area now, but it might be worth trying to find out a bit more if possible. The chunk of Devon that Exeter course covers is quite big anyway, so I don't think you could guarantee not having longer commutes at some point. You never know where your final year placement/s will be , so it might not be worth living as far as North Devon for 3 years, or it might be the thing to do, depending on what you will hear. It might be worth considering also that there will be a lot of teaching that you will be attending and for me personally not having to drive on those days and sleeping in my own bed and not a B&B was really helpful. Whatever happens, you will get used to it. Let me know if you have any more questions.
liberty

Postby JenEli » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:48 pm

charlie27 wrote:Hi all,

I am also going to be starting training at Exeter this year :D
I will be relocating from Newport, South Wales. My placement base is also North/Mid Devon so I'm trying to figure out where is best to live as well. @JenEli I have exactly the same feelings as you about not wanting to live somewhere too rural but also not wanting to be a million miles away from my placements. Tough decisions, eh!
I'd be keen to speak to any current Exeter trainees with the same placement base as us and see what they do/recommend. I know the area covers Barnstaple, Ilfracombe etc. but also goes as far down as Tiverton and Crediton which are much closer to Exeter so it's tricky to say where we should place ourselves.

I'm going to be super nervous for the big move too - glad the feeling is mutual.

I emailed a few days ago to find out the start date so I can figure out when to hand my notice in for my current job and you're right - it's Monday 25th September. They said we'll get more information towards the end of June so I'm hoping they might put us in touch with some current trainees/give us some recommendations about where to live then :)

If you want to message me privately, please feel free.

Excited to meet everyone! :)

Charlie I tried to message you privately but I don't think it worked?!? Anyway I would love to chat and here what your plans are for Exeter! So exciting. :)
JenEli

Postby JenEli » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:49 pm

liberty wrote:Maybe I can help you a bit here too.

I finished the Exeter course last September. I was a Devon trainee for the whole 3 years and my final year was partially spent on placement in Barnstaple. This was a long commute from Exeter, which would be hard to do even 3 times a week (I was there only 1 day a week). It might be good to contact the course to ask more specifically about your placement location for the next 3 years. When I did the course (2013-2016) we didn't have necessarily North Devon trainees, we were all rather allocated to Devon and worked in North, Mid and Exeter areas throughout at different times. I lived in Exeter and this worked really well, although for some of my placements there were long commutes (I felt these were reimbursed well though). I don't know whether anything changed since it covers a slightly different area now, but it might be worth trying to find out a bit more if possible. The chunk of Devon that Exeter course covers is quite big anyway, so I don't think you could guarantee not having longer commutes at some point. You never know where your final year placement/s will be , so it might not be worth living as far as North Devon for 3 years, or it might be the thing to do, depending on what you will hear. It might be worth considering also that there will be a lot of teaching that you will be attending and for me personally not having to drive on those days and sleeping in my own bed and not a B&B was really helpful. Whatever happens, you will get used to it. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thank you! I think I've settles to live in Exeter and see how it goes. :)
JenEli

Postby charlie27 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:53 pm

@JenEli I think I've sent you a private message now - didn't get yours so see if it's gone through :)
charlie27

Postby Flintstone1989 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:25 pm

Hi I'm also starting at Exeter in September :-D

I will be relocating from Cornwall where I've lived for the last few years so not too far this time - my base is Exeter although I have no real idea where to start when looking for a place to live! I've moved around quite a few times so not too nervous about the move - more about finding somewhere that's nice that I can afford! Hard to start looking when you won't be moving for a few months isn't it!

Anyway look forward to meeting you guys soon! :)
Flintstone1989

Postby liberty » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:19 pm

If you are Exeter based, you might find yourself working at the RD&E at some point within the 3 years (don't just mean the wards, some Community services are also based there such as the AMH Psychology). I found living nearby helpful as it costs £9 a day to park there, and as an Exeter-based trainee you won't be able to claim this back. I was able to walk there, which was great help. The hospital is a big employer in the city and somehow there is lots of rooms to rent in the area, if that's your cup of tea.
liberty

Postby Flintstone1989 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:13 pm

I can't wait to find out where our first placements will be!
Flintstone1989

Next

Return to Clinical Doctorate Courses