Another qu for current Surrey trainees!

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course

Another qu for current Surrey trainees!

Postby sparkling » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:34 am

Hi all

I wondered if anyone was able to help - I was wondering how many days holiday we get (seems we don't get our contract for ages)?

Also, placements seem to still operate between Christmas and NY - do I assume we therefore need to take holiday to if we want to be off then or in practice does it not work like that?

Sorry for another question (I have two young kids so trying to work out mine and other half's hols!) - in the summer when university is shut and there are two study days and 2.5 placement days - if I wanted two weeks off could I just book off the placement days for two weeks?!?! Or are they wise to that.....

Thanks!

T x
sparkling

Re: Another qu for current Surrey trainees!

Postby han10 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:44 am

I'm not a Surrey trainee but in terms of holidays it follows the agenda for change policy:

Length of service Annual leave and Public Holiday entitlement
On appointment 27 days + 8 days
After 5 years' 29 days + 8 days
After 10 years' 33 days + 8 days

So depending on how much continuous service you have had in the NHS at the time of joining the course your holiday entitlement will be one of the above. The minimum being 27 annual leave bank holidays are normally dependent on the number that fall within the financial year - the average being 8.

Can't answer about the study days I'm afraid.
han10

Postby laurenr » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:04 am

sparkling wrote:Hi all

I wondered if anyone was able to help - I was wondering how many days holiday we get (seems we don't get our contract for ages)?

Also, placements seem to still operate between Christmas and NY - do I assume we therefore need to take holiday to if we want to be off then or in practice does it not work like that?

Sorry for another question (I have two young kids so trying to work out mine and other half's hols!) - in the summer when university is shut and there are two study days and 2.5 placement days - if I wanted two weeks off could I just book off the placement days for two weeks?!?! Or are they wise to that.....

Thanks!

T x

I finished at Surrey last year. They are wise to people booking off only placement days - if you want to take study days as holiday, you have to book them off. They can call you and check you are studying rather than on holiday.

Our contract is treated as full time, so over Christmas you are in placement 2.5 days a week and have 2.5 study days. You will need to book off the time as A/L as a normal job

Hope that helps.
laurenr

Postby sparkling » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:25 pm

Thanks Lauren - very helpful!
sparkling

Return to Clinical Doctorate Courses