International (Canadian) Applying to Clinical Doctorate UK

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course

International (Canadian) Applying to Clinical Doctorate UK

Postby ClinicalHopeful » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:19 am

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum (and happy to be here :D ) so I apologize in advance if this question is being posted in the wrong thread! I am going into my final year of undergraduate study at my university here in Canada and while I had originally planned on doing my Masters/Doctorate clinical psychology degrees here in Canada, over the past few months I have been strongly considering going abroad to train in the UK (likely Ireland or England but i am open to other possibilities).

I am just wondering if someone could clear a few things up for me :). Firstly, I'm wondering how common it is for students from NA to do their clinical training in the UK or elsewhere abroad? Has anyone heard of this before? I am also curious as to whether or not I would be able to return to NA to practice as a psychologist if I wanted to? I am not sure that I wouldn't want to live in the UK all my life, because that sounds nice, but just incase I did want to come back...you think I could? Finally, I want to know if my stats make me competitive at decent schools in the UK (or any school really). I have an A average (my GPA is ~3.9 on a 4.0 scale), I have good research experience and completely an honours degree that involved independent research at an accredited university here in Canada.

If anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it!! Thanks so much for taking the time to read this for me :)
ClinicalHopeful

Re: International (Canadian) Applying to Clinical Doctorate

Postby maven » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:09 am

It isn't an automatically transferrable qualification, you'd have to apply to have a British qualification recognised in Canada or the USA and each location varies in how easy that is.

In terms of grades, they aren't that relevant here (although the general expectation is to fall in the top half of degree grades and to have gained some relevant experience to understand the field). But things are different for international students, as you aren't competing for the same places. The first requirement is the right to live here, and the ability to pay the international fees for the training and to support yourself whilst training. Then you need to look for the courses that allow self-funding international places, and whether they provide placements, or whether you have to make your own arrangements. Most UK/EU trainees are sponsored by the NHS who pay all the university fees and provide a salary while you are training, so you will be completely different to your peers on the course in this regard. The incidence of international students is generally pretty low, but it is now a recognised thing at least. I suspect about 10 people a year do it within the clinical psychology training courses, and this has been the case for the last few years and is probably increasing (though there are probably more in the counselling psychology doctorate which has always been self-funded and without NHS financial support). So, very few US and Canadian CPs train here. Even if you trained here, you'd be unlikely to gain the legal right to remain here to live and work, unless you have a UK passport or the right to UK citizenship through birth, marriage or a parent or something like that.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare
maven
Site Admin

Postby reishi » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:36 pm

I know two people teaching in my course, both had their clinical doctorate degrees in a European country, then applied BPS for conversion. One of them said she did additional placements at Tavistock to get her degree recognized. They both had their degrees ratified at the end and work as clinical psychologists now in the UK.

Funding yourself for a DClinPsy course is really pricey, you can check this topic viewtopic.php?f=32&t=20199 for some additional info.
"Ever since psychoanalysis came up, everybody's ill more or less."
reishi

Postby KMC00 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:32 pm

I lived in BC Canada for a few years before returning to the UK and have looked at training in both countries and the transferability. It's not impossible to transfer the UK doctorate to Canada but typically you will need to prove equivalency and usually do some additional practical supervised hours and/or a licensing exam.

It also makes a difference which province in Canada you want to practice in. For example, to practice in the Yukon you only require a masters but in BC you will need a PhD (or an equivalent doctorate) plus practicum. It's worth checking the individual province's psychological societies to see what they require. You will also be training here in the UK system which is different both at a healthcare level and a community service provision level to that in Canada so it's worth considering how that fits with your future plans as well.

I wonder what it is about the UK course that is appealing to you? It has similar levels of competition to Canada and will be far more expensive as you will be self funded and the exchange rate will not help if you are thinking of using savings. Have you been to the UK before? If not I highly recommend visiting before and seeing whether you even like it here first (spoken like a true expat!).

I hope this helps.

Kat
KMC00

Postby persephone56 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:48 pm

I too lived in BC for a couple of years prior to training, and I strongly considered training there.

To train in the UK, you'd either need to get permanent residency and live and work here for a number of years (I think 3 minimum) before you could apply for a funded place. Alternatively, you could apply as a self-funded trainee, but this is EXPENSIVE. On my course, I heard that fees are circa £27,000 per year, and there are not the same scholarship options that you'd find in Canada or the US. It's also full-time, so you wouldn't have any time to work as an RA or TA or anything like that.

In terms of working in Canada or the US, each province/state has their own requirements. Likely, you'd need to sit the EPPP and do the Ethics, Jurisprudence and oral exams, while achieving approximately a year of supervised, full-time practice. It's absolutely doable, but it's a hard road. I enquired about working in the US in the past, and I'll copy the email reply I got:

"What you are trying to do is unfortunately complicated ... In order to get licensed as a psychologist you would apply to the state you intend to practice. Each state has the ultimate authority to decide what is required in their jurisdiction.

What you would have to demonstrate to those states is that your education, degree and experience is the equivalent to the requirements establish in that jurisdiction. Your doctorate might be the equivalent to a doctoral degree in the US. Since most licensing boards do not have the knowledge or resources to compare education and degrees from a foreign country to their own requirements, most rely on a NACES program to do that for them. NACES stand for the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services. A NACES evaluation would be able to "translate" your education and degree into a US format that states could then evaluate.

If your education and degree meet the regulations of any of those states, then you must also demonstrate your experience (supervised) is the equivalent to what is required by that jurisdiction. Assuming your education, degree and experience is the equivalent and meets the requirements then you would be eligible to sit for the Examination of Professional Practice of Psychology (EPPP). The EPPP is a multiple choice exam on the foundations of psychology. For a description of this examination, please go to the asppb web site for more detail.

You can only take the EPPP if you are a candidate for licensure in one of the jurisdictions in the United States or Canada. You would not be eligible to sign up to take the EPPP until that jurisdiction approves your application and authorizes you to take the EPPP. Then you would be directed to the ASPPB web site to sign up for the EPPP.
Depending on which jurisdiction you decide to get licensed as a psychologist, that state could require you to take a local(jurisprudence) exam."

I'm wondering what you feel the advantages of training in the UK or Ireland would be for you?
persephone56

Return to Clinical Doctorate Courses