Course Interviews - what to wear?

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course

Course Interviews - what to wear?

Postby Dee » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:25 pm

I've got my first interview for the DClin Psy so I'm new to all this. I normally wear a skirt, shirt and suit jacket and small heels to interviews. Do you think this is ok? Recently I've been wondering if my dress is too formal! As a lot of other interviewees seem to look more casual e.g. trousers, no jacket and dress codes seem to be getting less and less formal for most jobs too. I know it's a bit of a silly question but hey ho...I'm starting to over-worry like everyone else on these forums!
Dee

Postby katyboo » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:30 pm

i wore a full on trouser suit for mine and thought is was appropriate as i thouhgt it showed i was taking the interview seriously, that i had respect for them, i was professional and it made me feel good about myself. BUT you can do all those things with your attitude and not just with clothes!! justt go as you feel is right!
katyboo

Postby Elsie » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:47 pm

Hi Dee

Well done on getting an interview!

You may find this post useful - where people have discussed what they would/should wear to interviews.

Hope that helps,

Elsie
People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel
-~-Maya Angelou-~-
Elsie

Postby Bella » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:10 pm

Im not wearing a suit - I don't feel comfortable in one and being all suited and booted reminds me of the bank manager!!

I am wearing suit trousers though and a nice top - smart but approachable is what im going for! :D
Bella

Postby steve79 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:42 pm

Would you say men should wear a suit and tie? I generally do for AP interviews but

ste :)
steve79

Postby Dr.Dot » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:45 pm

I think its really interesting what people wear. I have worn trouser suits, but lately, and for the last 2 clinical interviews i went to I didn't. I thik it is really important to notice what clothes do to you. I know that when I wear a suit Iget a bit spikey. I don't feel all that comfortable and that comes out in my manner.

I really love clothes, and they, for me, can make me 'feel' very different. For interview i need to be me, so I dress not too disimilarly to how i would dress for work. In fact I have then worn my interview outfit for work on many occasions. I wore very wide legged navy linen trousers, a white vest with a navy t-shirt over the top, and a very expensive white cardigan and white brouges Navy necklace.
Dorothy: Now which way do we go?
Dr.Dot

Postby astra » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:39 am

Steve, I've seen men go for a wide range of styles at clinical interviews from smartish jeans and a nice shirt to full on suit with all shades in between. As a woman I have worn suits for interviews before but nowadays I think I would just go for a newer version of what I normally wear for work! And I think that can go for men too. I'd say wear something that you are comfortable in that reflects a bit of your character but at the same time shows respect for the profession and some enthusiasm for getting the place.
astra

Postby Mr Ben » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:58 am

I think you should err on the side of wearing something conservative though to be honest - just to be on the safe side. I mean, if you normally walk around in a Timmy Mallet-style haiwan shirt, then it's probably going to distract the interviewers from your brillient and insightful comments. :wink:
just...keep.........going...
Mr Ben

Postby astra » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:47 pm

I don't think full on Timmy Mallett would meet the criteria of respect for the profession or showing enthusiasm for getting a place. I think you've got to show you've made an effort. However, there are ways of dressing for men and women that allow you to reflect your character and still be appropriate for the situation.
astra

Postby jane doe » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:46 pm

But if in doubt, I'd say, dress up rather than dress down. It's all very well letting your personality shine through, but if you're not sure or have any doubt at all, go for the suit option - you won't lose points for that 8)
jane doe

Postby Bella » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:29 pm

Mr Ben wrote:I think you should err on the side of wearing something conservative though to be honest - just to be on the safe side.

What do you mean, I shouldn't turn up in my cyber gear??? :wink:
Bella

Postby Dee » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:16 pm

Thanks everyone! Hmm...I'll have a think about it. So I won't look out of a place in a skirt and suit jacket?! I might go for that then or maybe trousers.
Cheers
Dee

Postby chixta » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:21 pm

I wore a suit jacket, roasted half to death, had uncomfortable shoes that kept coming off my feet and the trousers were too big and kept sliding down my bum!! In the end I took the jacket off, wore a belt to hold up the dangerous trousers and wished I'd gone in a t-shirt and jeans!! :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:

My advice, go in what feels right, not what you feel you ought to wear! :afro:
chixta

Postby Millie » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:17 am

I know someone who wore trainers/jeans to the interview - and they got on.

It's more about who you are than what you wear, although I wouldn't recommend trainers/jeans! Bear in mind being suited and booted can make you look less approachable - what would you want your psychologist to look like if you were a client? Smart/casual every day work like clothes are my preference (although that also depends on the service you work in I guess).
Millie

Postby Alberta » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:35 pm

Got 2 course interviews coming up :lol: but having a bit of a panic about what to wear. I was going to go with the default skirt suit but all the ones I've tried on look awful. I'm quite small and they make me look like a boxer and feel like someone very serious (which I'm not really!). I want to wear a smart dress that I'd be comfortable in. I've seen a couple that are part of a suit but I'd leave the jacket out. What does everyone think? Is this okay?
Alberta

Next

Return to Clinical Doctorate Courses