A map of the UK with all clinical training courses marked

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course

A map of the UK with all clinical training courses marked

Postby maven » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:27 pm

I wonder if anyone can download a graphic of a map of the UK and then use an art package to mark on it the location of each of the clincal courses (perhaps just a coloured line reaching from the point of location to a caption with the course name off the side of the map).

Anyone up for it?

Update: here it is!
Last edited by maven on Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare
maven
Site Admin

Postby CatFace » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:42 pm

Hi Maven-

I'd be happy to do it - what kind of scale do you want for the map? Something that will fit nicely onto a computer screen or something people can zoom into for more exact locations?

I've been looking for something to fill my time and this would be perfect as I'm going through the different courses at the moment myself (to decide where to apply).

Shreena
CatFace

Postby maven » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:26 pm

I think something that will fit on screen would be best. We don't need to be able to zoom in and see street addresses, just approximately where in the country each course is situated.

Perhaps something like http://www.map-of-uk.com/images/map-of-uk.gif
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare
maven
Site Admin

Postby psych_lad » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:29 pm

Sounds exciting maybe we can also have a different colour highlighted for each of the course placement counties!
Psych_lad
psych_lad

Postby gez1809 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:28 pm

to me that map would be a bit "busy" with all the placenames on it. Maybe a map that just has the basic main cities on it so it is more clear where courses are...? It is going to be quite full with just the courses on there, let alone with all the other places too.

Maybe this - http://www.qub.ac.uk/directorates/sgc/a ... 584,en.gif ?
gez1809

Postby LaLeonessa » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:56 pm

You can use Google Maps to do this incredibly easily.

You simply go to Google Maps, go to My Maps, start a new map. Use the cursor or type in Great Britain to focus on the region. Then type in the names of each of the cities/regions/streets/whatever that you want to mark and it will allow you to place a marker at the appropriate location, and you continue to place markers for however long you like.

The only downside to this method is that you can't directly import it into word, but if you do a screenshot of the map then you can easily paste the image into Word or PPT or whatever.

It'll take about 5 minutes, really simple.
LaLeonessa

Postby CatFace » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:08 pm

Cheers for suggestions all!

If google maps will let me annotate I will use that- I'll try and not make it too busy or large etc!

Will try and get it done tomorrow :)
CatFace

Postby Lil_Angel » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:51 pm

Any updates as to how this is going? I think it would be really useful x
We'll be friends until we are old and senile... Then we'll be new friends
Lil_Angel

Postby neilmc » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:14 pm

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post - I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks and have found some really useful information. I've done the google map suggested (couldn't sleep!), and thought I'd post it here as a thanks for all the good info that everyone has posted.

The google map is here:

Map of training courses

Thanks,

Neil
neilmc

Postby escapee » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:01 pm

Wow neil,

That's fantastic and so useful. Thank you very much! (and there are even lovely links to pictures of the universities :))

Wish I was as productive as you when I couldn't sleep.
escapee

Postby maven » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:16 pm

Cool, thanks!
Maven.

maven
Site Admin

Postby neilmc » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:16 pm

I'm afraid I can't take any credit for the pictures - they were already attached to the universities in google maps!
neilmc

Postby Lil_Angel » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:34 am

Scotland looks very busy :D

Thanks for that neil
We'll be friends until we are old and senile... Then we'll be new friends
Lil_Angel

Postby noodle » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:59 pm

Wow that's really useful! :) There seems to be quite a big gap where the Bristol course was though. Has anyone heard any news about whether they'll be taking applications next time round?
noodle

Postby Musical Mel » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:53 pm

Hey - that's so cool!! Well done for being productive when not sleeping!
MM :D
"You never had a camera in my head"
The Truman Show

Live Chat - http://www.clinpsy.org.uk/chat.php
Musical Mel

Next

Return to Clinical Doctorate Courses