Mixed bag of academia - Expert knowledge appreciated

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts

Mixed bag of academia - Expert knowledge appreciated

Postby xpostfacto » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:46 pm

Hello All,

I've got a strange relationship with Psychology, academically speaking and would love some insight into the best route to take given my experience. I'm getting older and would hate to waste any more time!
Rundown of what I have:

+ BSc in Neuroscience from US university (Am British Citizen with home status however)
+ 2:1 or 2:2 (Depending on which school you ask - it's borderline) - Courses included; Statistics+Lab, Research methods + Lab, Intro to psychology module (6mo), Biological basis of behaviour (several modules), Stress management psychology module.
+ One year of Graduate Medicine which contained a module on cognition/perception, and LOTS of clinically-related social/psych modules. Also did a round at an NHS psych ward as part of the training.
+ 2 yrs of Samaritans volunteer listening
+ 3 yrs supervising vulnerable children (still ongoing)
+ 6 months teaching SEN
+ 9 months teaching technology at a centre for alzheimers/dementia
+ Module on Narcissism and Addiction (2:1) from UK University
+ MSc in Philosophy (Distinction)

As you can see it's a total mashup. From what I can tell I really need; Social, Personality, Abnormal etc.. modules to get GBC, but can I substitute the rest? Is my experience enough for DClin places or do I definitely need APExp.?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

X.
xpostfacto

Re: Mixed bag of academia - Expert knowledge appreciated

Postby astra » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:53 pm

You really need to ask the BPS about GBC, I'm pretty sure they have a process for this www.bps.org.uk
Regarding experience, you don't have a lot of experience working psychologically with people, most of what you have is "first step on the ladder" experience from which you might get into an AP post or onto an IAPT training programme, or a research assistant post in a clinically relevant field. So I would say you need more clinically relevant experience myself.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn
astra

Postby BlueCat » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:50 pm

If your goal is to train as a clinical psychologist, I'd suggest your next step is to do a conversion course to attain GBC.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.
BlueCat
Site Admin

Postby xpostfacto » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:12 pm

Thanks guys!

Your insight is much appreciated.
I imagine the IAPT/PWP to be just as competitive as the AP posts...Hopefully something will stand out.

Cheers again,
X
xpostfacto

Postby astra » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:19 pm

Possibly just as competitive. You need to make sure you have GBC first, then just apply for anything relevant and work your way up.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn
astra

Postby xpostfacto » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:19 am

Thanks Astra,

Makes good sense. Tortuous road!
xpostfacto

Return to Psychology degrees, conversions and postgrad qualifications