HELP! Condensing hours into 4 days OR or 30hrs over 4 days?

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts

Postby butterflyfingers » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:32 pm

Hi guys. I'll be starting a new job (start date still to be arranged, probably end of Sep, beginning Oct) and will also be embarking on a PT MSc... I'm currently work FT on a Band 4 scale 2hr commute, the new role is in a similar role, FT Band 5 and closer to home. They've been aware from the beginning that I'm keen to do my MSc PT and are willing to work around it and accommodate and have given me 3 options: 1) I can condense 37.5 hrs into 4 days (working hours approx 8am-6pm), 2) I can do 30 hours a week over 4 days, or 3) 37.5 Monday -Friday. If I'm honest, condensing into 4 days I think the hours are too long anyway, and my timetable for uni isn't finalised , but my schedule depends on what modules I choose , from the draft it looks like it could be a few hours over 3 days or so.. I also don't want to become a slave to a job, and work long hours , but it means I get all my money's , and spend less on travel costs as it's close to home. I'm keen on the second option, working 30 hours over 4 days, as it allows more flexibility however that means less money (it'll be not much different to what I'm earning now in current role, but this role is closer to home so less travel costs). They would like to know by the end of the week but I'm so stuck? I'm keen to have time to do well in my MSc, and live and enjoy life , without being a slave to my job, and still maintain my relationships , and I feel the condensing hours and will leave me tired and won't allow that, also it'll just not be nice when I'm at work. But I also want to continue to work, build my experience and earn more money as the opportunity is there.Help? Has anybody been in this position, or can give me any advice , or tips for hours , and juggling it all, or tips on using annual leave effectively if I do condense my hours... I know nothing is sent in stone and could be tweaked later on (my friends and family keep saying this and think I should condense it and work it out then), but I'm so indecisive and want to make the right decision. Just to say also, the job isn't stressful at all, and in my current role, With the nature of the job,I don't really have much to do, I feel the new job will be similar and I won't be 'stressed' or have enough work to fill the time... in other worse , not intense. But I won't know until I'm there...
butterflyfingers

Postby butterflyfingers » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:37 pm

Hi guys. I'll be starting a new job (start date still to be arranged, probably end of Sep, beginning Oct) and will also be embarking on a PT MSc... I'm currently work FT on a Band 4 scale 2hr commute, the new role is in a similar role, FT Band 5 and closer to home. They've been aware from the beginning that I'm keen to do my MSc PT and are willing to work around it and accommodate and have given me 3 options: 1) I can condense 37.5 hrs into 4 days (working hours approx 8am-6pm), 2) I can do 30 hours a week over 4 days, or 3) 37.5 Monday -Friday. If I'm honest, condensing into 4 days I think the hours are too long anyway, and my timetable for uni isn't finalised , but my schedule depends on what modules I choose , from the draft it looks like it could be a few hours over 3 days or so.. I also don't want to become a slave to a job, and work long hours , but it means I get all my money's , and spend less on travel costs as it's close to home. I'm keen on the second option, working 30 hours over 4 days, as it allows more flexibility however that means less money (it'll be not much different to what I'm earning now in current role, but this role is closer to home so less travel costs). They would like to know by the end of the week but I'm so stuck? I'm keen to have time to do well in my MSc, and live and enjoy life , without being a slave to my job, and still maintain my relationships , and I feel the condensing hours and will leave me tired and won't allow that, also it'll just not be nice when I'm at work. But at the same time, I want to continue to work, and take the opportunities to build my experience and get more money. Is it just not possible to have both?Help? Has anybody been in this position, or can give me any advice , or tips for hours , and juggling it all, or tips on using annual leave effectively if I do condense my hours... I know nothing is sent in stone and could be tweaked later on (my friends and family keep saying this and think I should condense it and work it out then), but I'm so indecisive and want to make the right decision
butterflyfingers

Re: HELP! Condensing hours into 4 days OR or 30hrs over 4 da

Postby Loula » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:08 am

It's obviously an individual choice, but I supervised an AP who changed their hours to 37.5 over 4 days and on top of their part-time masters and they found it pretty tough going, especially when there were lots of deadlines for uni that meant they were studying after work. It didn't leave them much time for work/life balance and they chose to reduce their hours in the second year of the masters.
Loula

Postby mungle » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:45 am

If you're planning on doing the dclinpsy there will be plenty of tough years ahead so IMHO don't burn yourself out now if you an manage on the money from 30 hours. If the masters in nearby, can you arrange to do 30 hours/4 days but perhaps as 3 full days and 2 half days to fit in with your class attendance? Try to think about what works for the service as well (generally, teams prefer predictability so for people to work consistent days/times each week). For instance if the service runs out of office hours and they want and struggle to find staff to do evenings then volunteering to do this could be both popular and suit your timetable (do think about issues of being supervised). Another alternative is to talk to the masters course staff to see what suggestions they can make with the timetabling. You may find it varies from Uni to Uni (and of course is easier on a distance learning or masters by research course).
mungle

Postby maven » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:05 am

I think your post suggests you know what you want to do. If you are nearer home and on a higher band you'll still get the same kind of money working 30 hours as if you were earning less and travelling further to do 37.5!
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare
maven
Site Admin

Return to Psychology degrees, conversions and postgrad qualifications