How to list your qualifications after your name?

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts

How to list your qualifications after your name?

Postby Studentin11 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:09 pm

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had advice on the correct way to list your qualifications under your name, for example, on a business card or email signature.

Would it be:

>Firstname Lastname BSc (Hons) MBPsS MSc

I have graduate basis for BPS membership from my undergrad but my MSc wasn't accredited. How ought I write out my name with qualifications?
Studentin11

Re: How to list your qualifications after your name?

Postby Roz93 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:36 pm

Hi Student11,

As far as I'm aware, in the UK, post-nominal letters would be listed by university degree (in ascending order), followed by membership of learned societies, regardless of how accreditation ot this society was achieved.

So, yours would be Firstname Lastname, BSc (Hons), MSc, MBPsS. (But BSc is rarely added except in formal listing, and Hons isn't really needed at all).

You could further differentiate by listing where you received your degree from - for example, I could list Firstname Lastname, BSc Hons (Lanc), MSc (Bris), MBPsS. (with or without parentheses) - this comes from the Oxford Style Guide (2015).

The style guide also has notes on certificates,

Hope this helps!
"Imagine others complexly" - John Green.
Roz93

Postby workingmama » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:43 pm

Hi Roz93, I believe that your stylistic references are impeccable, however you failed to point the OP to the additional point that some very important accreditations come PRIOR to the name. I would personally expect to be depicted on a business card as:

Lord of Disaster and Master of All I Survey ... Workingmama ... etc etc.
:lol:
Fail, fail again, fail better.
workingmama
Team Member

Postby maven » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:33 am

I'd find it weird to see a BPS membership at student or graduate level mentioned on a business card.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare
maven
Site Admin

Postby Gilly » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:08 pm

yeah, although the BPS does give you the option of using MBPsS, typically professionals would only use the fellow/associate fellow qualification.

(incidentally, have just got my AFBPsS status!)
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.
Gilly

Postby workingmama » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:50 pm

Gilly wrote:yeah, although the BPS does give you the option of using MBPsS, typically professionals would only use the fellow/associate fellow qualification.

(incidentally, have just got my AFBPsS status!)

Snazzy! Jolly well done! Well deserved.
Fail, fail again, fail better.
workingmama
Team Member

Return to Psychology degrees, conversions and postgrad qualifications