Masters or not?

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts

Masters or not?

Postby zameyy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:15 pm

Hi guys

I know there are many many questions like this one on these forums but I couldn't find the answers I was looking for...

I'm really confused as to what I should do... any advice will be appreciated

I'm a final year BSc psychology student and I want to go into clinical psychology. From what I had heard and read, I had the idea that doing a masters wouldn't be as useful if you've got a first in your undergrad (i got a first in year 1 and 2 so hopefully in third year too!!) and so I was planning on graduating and maybe getting some relevant experience of some sort

I was talking to a friend who told me about the MSc in Clinical Applications of Psychology at Warwick which I am now really leaning towards. it's got a 6-month placement which I thought would be really good as its similar to the layout of the doctorate.

now I can't decide if I should do the masters or just graduate and try looking for a job. I was aiming to get into the doctorate by 23/24 so I'm trying to do whatever is best to increase my chances of getting in early.

another thing to take into consideration would be that I live n London and I don't want to move out to Warwick during my masters so I plan on commuting there- probably by car.

I've seen other clinical or mental health masters in london but they don't have a compulsory masters placement like the one at Warwick. would it still be useful for me to do one of those?

Any advice or help on this is greatly appreciated

thank you in advance:)
zameyy

Re: Masters or not?

Postby workingmama » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:38 am

Speaking as someone without family financial support to cushion years of further study, I'd always opt for work rather than a Masters (assuming you get the First, that is), however if you have the moolah to do it, and it's a topic that you'd love, go for it. You will certainly need work experience in any case, so factor that in. Good luck.
Fail, fail again, fail better.
workingmama
Team Member

Postby maven » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:23 am

I can't really follow your logic. You are in a position where you can now be paid to work, or volunteer, which would earn nothing but cost nothing, but you are considering instead choosing to pay to work, and to commute a very long way to attend a course in order to pay to get that work experience? Why not just get a job and be paid to work and save all the mileage costs and try to get something published if you want to further enhance your academic clout?
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare
maven
Site Admin

Postby sushi86 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:10 am

Hi

I was wondering if anyone can give advise. I was looking into masters as I got a low 2:1 in my degree course. But I am confused on whether I should apply for masters or if I should consider to apply for PWP trainee course as that will also enable me to get clinical experience but doing masters on the other hand will increase my academic points, so I am really overwhelmed on which path to take. any advise would be appreciated. thanks
sushi86

Postby miriam » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:48 am

I think it depends on whether you want to aim for clinical training, and if you want to do so via a course with assessment days, because if you have a low 2:1 and no masters your clinical course choices will be limited even with PWP experience.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
miriam
Site Admin

Postby sushi86 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:16 pm

Thank you Miriam for your response

yes I am hoping to apply for clinical training in few years time, so although I got a low 2:1, if I study masters would that mean there is still a chance to get into training?
sushi86

Return to Psychology degrees, conversions and postgrad qualifications