Looking for a Masters

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts
Dimitris23

Looking for a Masters

Post by Dimitris23 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:28 pm

Hello everyone! Happy New Year!!

My name is Dimitris and i come from Greece. Recently I finished my bachelor studies on Psychology and I would like to have a Master on Clinical Developmental Psychology in the UK.

I have already made some research about Masters relevant to children's and young people's psycholpathology and I was really glad to find this forum, as I thought that people here would provide me with useful information/advice about them.

The most interesting MSCs that I found are the following:

Developmental Psychology and Clinical Practice MSc at UCL (http://www.ucl.ac.uk/pals/study/masters/TMSPSYSDPC01)

and

MSc in Applied Psychology (Healthcare) For Children and Young People (https://www.ed.ac.uk/health/study-with- ... psychology)

Is there anyone that studied in any of these two masters? Do you know anything about them that would be useful to me?

And last but not least, does anyone have any other recommendations about some similar master programmes?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dimitris
Last edited by maven on Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to add s to title, so it appears in searches

Amina

Re: Looking for a Master

Post by Amina » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:55 pm

Hi Dimitris!

Congratulations on finishing your bachelor degree! I think it would be useful to know what your long-term career plans are so that people can answer your post! It's easier to suggest particular courses if we know what you ultimately hope to achieve.

Why do you want to do a masters course? If you are thinking of a career in research (I.e. eventually doing a PhD) then I guess it would be useful to find a course where you could study in the area you want to do research in. Also an MRes (masters of research) course in social science or psychology might give you a good grounding in research methods. There are lots of people here who could give you more advice on this......

Maybe you want to do a masters for employment? If you want to get a research assistant or similar post, (which you can often get without having a masters), any masters which has a good mix of research and applying skills with a clinical population would probably be useful. For employment in a setting such as a mental health service etc, then you do not need a masters. However, if you DO choose to do one, a course which has the opportunity of a work placement might be useful.

If you want to become a Clinical Psychologist, the route is quite specific in terms of studies. Your undergraduate degree (bachelors) needs to be accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS). In the UK all psychology degrees will say whether they are or are not accredited. You would need to send transcripts of your degree to the BPS I imagine, to check if it would count. If your degree is NOT accredited or is in another subject ( I.e. sociology, health, etc) then you need to complete a BPS accredited conversion course (diploma or masters).

After this, you would need to apply for a place on a 3 year Clinical Psychology Doctorate (which usually asks for 1 or more years of relevant work/research experience with the types of populations Clinical Psychologists work with.) For some of the Doctorate courses you need a 2:1 or 'high' 2.1 in your undergraduate degree. You do not need as masters to get onto a course, unless you only gained a 2:2 for your undergrad degree- some doctorates will accept people with a 2:2 plus masters. The doctorate courses are pretty competative- maybe have a look on the appropriate threads on here for more info!

Overall I suppose there are lots of things to consider- reasons for doing the course, costs (some are a LOT more expensive than others!), where the course is (where you want to live, do you want to do distance study etc), full time or part time (do you need to fit your studies around work or family?), is the department well-known or innovative in an area you are interested in?

Overall, a masters is a lot of commitment of time and money, and it is important to think carefully about how much you need/want to do the course. It can be a great way to advance your career, but also I think there is a lot of misunderstanding around the extent to which a masters might be needed/helpful.

Not sure if that helped or made it more confusing!

Good luck choosing a course!

workingmama
Team Member

Re: Looking for a Master

Post by workingmama » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:40 pm

Durham has a very popular MSc in developmental psychopathology if that's where your interests lie.
Fail, fail again, fail better.