Dissertation Help

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts

Dissertation Help

Postby Ccorness90 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:13 pm

Hi everybody :sunny:

I have been a member on the site for a good few weeks now and have been working my way through the threads, there are some brilliant discussions, they have helped a lot! I initially thought I wanted to pursue a career within Forensic Psychology, but have decided that I would like to become a Clinical Psychologist.

I'm currently coming to the end of my second semester and I absolutely love the degree, however I am a little anxious about the dissertation that we have to do. I haven't been given that much information about it yet, only that we can choose either qualitative or quantitative. I actually prefer quantitative over qualitative, so I know that I will do a quantitative project, however I have no idea what the topic will be. There are many areas within Psychology that I am hugely interested in so i'm just wondering if it will be left to myself to come up with the topic or if I will be given some suggestions?

:)
Ccorness90

Re: Dissertation Help

Postby Victoriomantic » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:55 pm

Ccorness90 wrote:There are many areas within Psychology that I am hugely interested in so i'm just wondering if it will be left to myself to come up with the topic or if I will be given some suggestions?

:)

Hi! Welcome :)

That depends on your university, but generally speaking the way I know most unis do it is that towards your final year, the lectures taking on students for their dissertation will list the projects that they are doing/interested in and you can apply to get on board. Or, if none of those take your fancy, then if you have an idea that you feel would match the interests of certain lecturers then you can approach them.

Best to check whatever your course handbook says, or perhaps start exploring ideas with your personal tutor/mentor, if you have one.
Victoriomantic

Return to Psychology degrees, conversions and postgrad qualifications