The “truth” about doing a psychology degree

The place to ask about degree courses, conversion courses, masters, PhD or other qualifications. Discuss specific courses, their pros and cons, the content, the application process, different institutions, how to fund them, etc. Includes advice if you have a 2:2 and questions on transcripts

The “truth” about doing a psychology degree

Postby Spatch » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:12 am

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SGsPNOziGoI

Just saw this and would like to nominate for the “most confused and inaccurate depiction of the profession award 2017”. If I had enough time I would categorise the misconceptions, but I do have some plans for the weekend. I do love the idea that it costs 40k to “do the PhD” and then you become an assistant, so you have to be rich.

If this is genuinely what some graduates think, it’s a stunning indictment on the university and BPS.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Experience-Assistant-Psychologist-ebook/dp/B00EQFE5JW/
Spatch
Team Member

Re: The “truth” about doing a psychology degree

Postby lingua_franca » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:19 pm

I presented at a conference a couple of years ago and during lunch I got chatting to a psychology lecturer who asked me what my plans were post-PhD. I told him that I was thinking of applying for the DClinPsy, or another health practitioner training. He wrinkled his nose and said, "But that's another PhD. You won't get funding for two in a row, and how would it benefit you?" I was surprised that he could be teaching psychology at BSc level, at a uni with a good-sized cohort of psychology students (albeit no doctoral programme), and still have such a mistaken idea of the career path. Then I met a fellow CAMHS HCA who had done BSc Psychology and who had dropped her idea of becoming a clinical psychologist "because there are only thirteen funded places on the psychology PhD and you have to be an assistant psychologist first." I directed her to this website and to Clearing House for a clearer take on things, but she remained adamant that this was what lecturers had told her and this was correct. There's certainly a lot of misinformation out there.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.
lingua_franca

Postby maven » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:15 am

I found her too irritating to watch beyond about 30 seconds, I'm afraid. But no great surprise that people are telling "facts" on social media without any knowledge of the topic, that seems to be par for the course.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare
maven
Site Admin

Postby BlueCat » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:53 am

maven wrote:I found her too irritating to watch beyond about 30 seconds, I'm afraid. But no great surprise that people are telling "facts" on social media without any knowledge of the topic, that seems to be par for the course.

I managed about two minutes, during which time she'd repeatedly made herself look really ill informed and passive "No-one told me that I'd need to do more training after my degree to be a psychologist". I'm sorry, but what? You, or your parents have paid u to 27,000 for a qualification, and you didn't bother to research what the options were afterwards?!?
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.
BlueCat
Site Admin

Postby Marlowe » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:13 am

Misinformation isn't ideal, but insofar as it has to exist, it's useful in weeding out would-be applicants who can't or won't persist beyond the first obstacle... Anyone who really wants to and can do it wouldn't quit because of the word of one professor or a homemade youtube video.
Marlowe

Return to Psychology degrees, conversions and postgrad qualifications