Professional Development Days 2018 (interview preparation)

Discuss local psychology graduate / assistant psychologist groups, training events, conferences, meetings and open days. Let people know what is coming up, and report back about events you have attended. Review materials and books here.
miriam
Site Admin

Professional Development Days 2018 (interview preparation)

Post by miriam » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:14 pm

Following previous successful personal and professional development days in 2012, 2013 and 2014 (run through clinpsy/lifepsychol), 2015 and 2016 (run in collaboration with the PQG), we are now booking places at our Professional Development days for 2018.

This is a full day of experiential training for graduate psychologists applying for clinical training courses or considering doing so in the future, who wish to think about their personal and professional development and engage in activities that might assist preparation for future interviews. There will be chances to discuss clinical and research vignettes, contribute to group tasks and answer mock interview questions, as well as to learn from peer and trainer feedback. Previous workshop delegates have said:
It really was so helpful to go through the tasks and meet fellow applicants
It was extremely helpful and great to practise the questions!
It was a great day. Thank you so much. Definitely confirmed to me that I'm on the right path, which is a nice thing to know.
This training rocked!!!
You can read other reviews or comments about the day on the forum here,
here and here.

Facilitator
Dr Miriam Silver, Consultant Clinical Psychologist, is the founder of clinpsy.org.uk and has been involved in the career development of psychologists for nearly two decades. She was Lead for Looked After Children and Neurodevelopmental Disorders in Northamptonshire CAMHS for many years before founding LifePsychol Ltd. She has provided expert witness reports for over 200 cases in the family court, was part of the national CYPF committee and chaired CPLAAC for many years. She has contributed to numerous guidelines and papers including the BPS CYPF Review chapter entitled "What good looks like for children and families with social care needs", the NICE guidance on Attachment Difficulties, the BPS/FJC standards for psychologists as experts in the family court. She was Clinical Director at Keys Childcare Group for two years, and trained nearly 1000 staff with consistently positive feedback. Dr Silver presents regularly at conferences (including BPS CYPF, UKPTS, Resolution, ACAMH) and is a highly regarded speaker and trainer. She wrote the book "Attachment in Common Sense and Doodles". She is also currently promoting the use of regular outcome measurements and improved clinical governance across services for Looked After Children.

Aims
The aim of this event is to to help the process of reflection and development for early career stage psychologists, and increase self-awareness and self-confidence with regard to interview questions and tasks; the target audience is psychology graduates, particularly those who have applied for the clinical psychology doctorate.

Each event is limited to 15 places, and based on past years they will sell out fast, so we will keep a waiting list and try to add additional events if required.

The price will be £35 per person, plus a share of any venue/travel costs where we have to book a room.

For now I am booking:

First date is 31st January in Matlock, and will be our cheapest date at a flat £35 per person

This is a low cost date in our own office space in Matlock, Derbyshire. This is a relatively easy venue to get to by car, with free parking, but I am aware it is not easy by public transport as the trains to Matlock are infrequent and the station is just over a mile from the office (24 minutes walk). So I hope that you are able to come in groups and/or lift-share as much as possible.

We will also run the day in Hoburn in London on 14th Feb and 15th Feb at £55 per person
This is a very central venue, with good public transport links. The additional cost is modest for a central London venue.

Places are filling up quickly, so book your place now by emailing Jessica@lifepsychol.co.uk

I will update this post as we get other venues/dates confirmed.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

jason712

Re: Professional Development Days 2018 (interview preparatio

Post by jason712 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:42 pm

That sounds great, unfortunately, it's too far for me. But hopefully, something like this could possibly make its way down to London. I know UEL often host events like this.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:56 pm

I've found a venue for London dates: Conway Hall, 25 Red Lion Square, London WC1R 4RL. This is 30 minutes walk from Euston/Kings Cross and less than half a mile from Hoburn tube. It is in the same area as Great Ormond Street Hospital.

We have initially booked for 14th and 15th February. So please contact jessica@lifepsychol.co.uk as soon as possible if you wish to book a slot. We are booking each date on a first come, first served basis, and we are limiting places to 15 per day. These dates are likely to sell out quickly based on previous years, so we will form a waiting list and consider adding a third date if necessary.

The cost for these dates will be £55 per person, to cover the extra costs of the venue and transport.
Miriam

clairef

Post by clairef » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:42 am

Thanks for organising this, that's so helpful. Unfortunately I can't get to the peak district (too far) and I'm away during the half-term hols (I have kids!). I'd be really grateful if you'd be able to arrange for a third occasion in London.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:13 pm

I have kids too. But I had to work around other commitments, and room availability. Thankfully I think our half-term is the week after.
Miriam

jason712

Post by jason712 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:30 pm

Great, I contacted Jessica via email yesterday. Just waiting for a response and I hopefully look forward to seeing everyone.

Amina

Post by Amina » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:11 pm

Hi Miriam,

I have booked for the 14th - looking forward to seeing everyone! This sounds like it will be a fantastic day and I hope lots of people decide to take the opportunity to attend....

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:13 am

I'm looking forward to meeting all of you too.

We have two places left for the Matlock day, and the London days are nearly half booked now.
Miriam

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:43 pm

The Matlock date is now fully booked, though we are keeping a waiting list, and if this reaches 10 people we will book in a second Matlock date. The London dates are now half full, with several enquiries that haven't confirmed which day they want yet, so please book quickly if you want a place.
Miriam

M245

Post by M245 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:48 pm

Hi Miriam,

Will there be more dates coming up?

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:56 pm

M245 wrote:Hi Miriam,

Will there be more dates coming up?
I normally do 2-4 dates. We have the potential to add a third London date if those days fill up, and a second Matlock date if the waiting list is sufficient, but we are not currently planning to train elsewhere this year. However, if there was a large AP network who wanted to host a day in their area, would fill all 15 spaces and could provide a venue, I'd consider adding another date.
Miriam

Apple

Post by Apple » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:05 am

Hi Miriam,

Will the money gained from selling tickets to this development day be given to a charity as has been the case in previous years or is it for profit?

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:14 pm

Apple wrote:Hi Miriam,

Will the money gained from selling tickets to this development day be given to a charity as has been the case in previous years or is it for profit?
It is a good question and I could perhaps have been clearer about this. The first four years I had a free venue to use and didn't charge for my time, so I donated the full amount to charity. The next two years were organised by the PQG and I was paid by the BPS for my time, and the ticket prices were subsidised. This year I'm working part time, as the main income earner for my family, whilst recovering from a road traffic accident and subsequent dental work, so I can't donate my time for free. However, I have discounted my normal rate by 50%, and I've set the charges to simply cover the costs. I wanted to keep the price for those who attend as low as possible.

I do like supporting good causes (and I support some by direct debit personally), so I'm hoping we can do some charity fundraising on the forum in other ways later in the year - so I'm open to ideas.
Miriam

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:09 pm

Wonderful to meet all the aspiring CPs in the first of this year's PDDs. Hopefully some will put up some feedback after today. For now, here are the pictures from the group task, complete with their structures:
We still have a last couple of places on each of our London dates available, so please book now if you want to come along. We also have a waiting list for a second day in Matlock, so this is likely to be set up for the end of February if we get two more enquiries - so please add your name to the waiting list if you want to bag a space.
Miriam

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:09 pm

Feedback from yesterday:
Typical comments:
• I found the day incredibly helpful. I felt it was a safe group and feedback was all really constructive. Really useful to get such in-depth feedback – very rare. Thank you!
• The day exceeded my expectations and I left feeling much reassured and more confident going into the interview process.
• I would say it was very helpful to get feedback about my style of presentation and reflecting on our experience. It has helped me to get the most out of what I’ve done.
I think it would help others to be relaxed (or at least less stressed) about the process.
Miriam