Assistant Groups

Discuss local psychology graduate / assistant psychologist groups, training events, conferences, meetings and open days. Let people know what is coming up, and report back about events you have attended. Review materials and books here.
Will
Team Member

Assistant Groups

Post by Will » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:47 pm

These are the most recent details we have gathered for groups; initially taken from the BPS webpage and updated as members of the forum have added details.

Please post if there are any updates or if links on here no longer work.

Most recent update: 28.8.16 by Will

Beds Bucks and Northants Graduate Psychologists Group
Meets monthly with journal club and invited speakers. Aims to be friendly and supportive rather than competitive.
The contact details are: bedsbucksnorthants@gmail.com
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/399864523419361/

Belfast
Contact forum user benmaccam for details

Berkshire Assistant Group
Meets monthly with guest speakers from different areas of clinical psychology and also has a social side as well.
The contact details are: berkspsych@live.co.uk / sarah.harrison2@berkshire.nhs.uk

Birmingham Group
Contact: assistantpsychologistsgroup@hotmail.co.uk, however this may not still be active. Beth has set up an assistant psychologist group for Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health Foundation Trust employees, open to those with a contract with the trust. Send Beth a private message (PM) for more details.

Bristol & Bath Assistant Psychologists Group
Meets 6-weekly. To be added to the mailing list email the Chair, Gemma, on: bristol.bath.ap@googlemail.com

Buckinghamshire and Oxford Joint Assistants/Graduate Group
Meets monthly.

Cambridgeshire & Peterborough
Meets monthly. To be added to the mailing list email the Chair, Sony Dhokia, on: Sony.Dhokia@hmps.gsi.gov.uk

Channel Islands
A pre-training group is in the process of being set up for the Channel Islands as a peer support group for psychology grads and aspiring psychologists in any other roles. We are hoping to meet once a month on skype (Jersey group and Guernsey group meet in person and get online at the same time), and aiming every 3 months to meet in either Jersey or Guernsey.
Contact email: channel.islands.psychgrads@gmail.com

Coventry/Warwick
Meets on the 2nd Wednesday of the month at 2pm. The email address for the current co-ordinator is andrea.ellis@covwarkpt.nhs.uk

Cumbria
No current contact details

East Anglia
Holds 2-3 'mini-conferences' per year. To be added to the mailing list email the Chair, Timothy Clarke, on: eastangliaassistantpsychologists@hotmail.co.uk

East London Graduate Psychologists Group
Meets monthly (2nd Friday) at UEL campus. Please contact elgpg@hotmail.co.uk for more details

East of Scotland Psychology Assistants Group (ESPAG)
Meets once a month at the Royal Edinburgh Hospital. Contact espag@hotmail.co.uk for more info or to be added to the mailing list

East Sussex Psychology Graduates Group

Essex
Meet monthly (usually at Runwell Hospital, Wickford). To be added to the mailing list email one of the Chairs, Louise Egleton on louise.egleton@southessex-trust.nhs.uk or Koveela Sawmynaden on koveela.sawmynaden@southessex-trust.nhs.uk

Glasgow: WOSPAG

IoP and SLAM Assistant Psychologist Group
Meetings typically involve discussions and guest speakers regarding obtaining a place on clinical training, preparing for interviews, interesting issues relevant to clinical psychology, careers and anything else that we think is relevant or useful.
Meetings listed here

Kent Assistant Psychologist
If you wish to attend the group or would like more information then please e-mail either jamie.brazil@kmpt.nhs.uk or james.middleton@kmpt.nhs.uk

Lancashire Assistant Psychologists Group
To be added to the mailing list contact one of the Chairs, Nicola Pilkington, or Sophie Croft on: lancashireassistants@hotmail.com
Department of Psychological Services, Burnley General Hospital, Casterton Avenue, Burnley BB10 2PQ. 01282 657125.

Leicester Graduate Psychology Group
Meetings are once a month for 1-2 hours and cover a wide range of topics and frequently have guest speakers. Anyone looking to pursue a career in clinical psychology is welcome to attend and can email on Karima.Susi@leicspart.nhs.uk

Lincolnshire
The group meetings are held on the first Monday of the month, 2.30-5pm(ish!), in Lincoln. For more information and to be added to the mailing list for the Lincolnshire Assistant Psychologists group email Blythe Buttery at Blythe.Buttery@autismcareuk.com or Jess Ferguson at Jessica.ferguson@lpft.nhs.uk.

Liverpool Assistant Psychologists Group
Meets monthly (1st Thursday). liverpoolapg@gmail.com

Manchester Group
Meets monthly (last Friday). The current coordinators are: Gemma Culverwell, Katie O Neill, Syeda Khatun, and Jade Ark. To be added to the mailing list email the Chairs on manchesterasstpsychs@hotmail.co.uk

Northern Regional Graduate Psychologists Group (NRGPG)
To be added to the mailing list email the Chair, Anna Mead, on anna.mead@ntw.nhs.uk

Northern Ireland Assistant Psychologist Forum (NIAPF)
Meets every 2 months. To be added to the mailing list email the Chair, Ruth Fleck, on niapf@yahoo.co.uk

North Thames Graduate Psychology Group
For more info, please visit our website: http://www.ntpsychologists.org.uk/
To be added to the mailing list email the Chair, Alice Gee, on ntgpg@hotmail.co.uk or norththamesgradpsychgroup@gmail.com

North Wales Assistant Group

North West Assistant Psychologists Group

Oxford and Buckinghamshire Joint AP/Graduate Group (see 'Buckinghamshire' in this list)

Reading
email sarah.harrison2@berkshire.nhs.uk

Sheffield Assistants’ Group

St Andrew's Hospital Assistant Group (Northampton)

Somerset Assistant Psychology Group

Southampton Assistant Psychologist Group
No current contact details, except: Also on Facebook

South East Assistant Psychologist Group

South Thames Psychology Group

South Wales Pre-Training Group
Our group covers all of South Wales (we currently have three groups: one in Abertawe Bro Morgannwg Health Board, one in Cardiff & Vale Health Board and one in Aneurin Bevan Health Board) and we try to link people to their closest group. Our email address is southwalespretraining@gmail.com

Stafford Assistants Group

Somerset
Please contact at: Alexandra.Dibley@sompar.nhs.uk

Sussex
To be added to the mailing list email the Chair, Rachel Wilkinson, on Rachel.Wilkinson@sussexpartnership.nhs.uk

Tayside Assistant Psychologists Group
Meets every 2 months. To be added to the mailing list email the Chair, Moira Cook, on moira.cook@nhs.net

Teesside Assistant Psychologists Group

Trent Assistant Psychologists Group
Meets monthly (3rd Wednesday) at the University of Nottingham. To be added to the mailing list email the Chair, Rachel Baldwin, on trentassistantsgroup@googlemail.com

Wessex Assistant Psychologists Group
Contact details: Laura Lanning on wessexapgroup@hotmail.com (Salisbury). Don't forget to check out our group forum website at: http://wessexapgroup.myfreeforum.org/

West Midlands / Warwickshire Assistant Psychologists

West of Scotland Assistants Group (WOSPAG)
To be added to the mailing list email the Chair, Avril Smith, on avril.smith@ggc.scot.nhs.uk

Worcestershire Assistant Psychologist group
http://www.hacw.nhs.uk/our-services/psy ... ist-group/

Worcestershire Assistant Psychologists Group
To be added to the group, please contact Jason.Lines@hacw.nhs.uk, http://www.hacw.nhs.uk/our-services/psy ... ist-group/

Yorkshire Graduate Psychologists Group
Last edited by miriam on Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:50 pm, edited 25 times in total.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Dr.Dot

Post by Dr.Dot » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:17 am

North Wales Assisstant Group

I don't really know who is running the group at the moment, I can find out though I am sure, though my links are loosening a little.

It is as far as I am aware held here:
The Brain Injury Service
Hesketh Road
Colwyn Bay
Conwy

I am very happy to do some digging around if someone is interested. So give me a PM.
Last edited by Dr.Dot on Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dorothy: Now which way do we go?

strlass

Post by strlass » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:52 am

Current contact of the WOSPAG in Glasgow is

Emma.Hickabottom@glacomen.scot.nhs.uk

Elsee

Post by Elsee » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:02 pm

NRGPG contact for membership has been updated now. Details on www.nrgpg.co.uk

strlass

glasgow WOSPAG

Post by strlass » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:21 pm

new contact for glasgow WOSPAG is Avril.Smith@ggc.scot.nhs.uk

escapee

Post by escapee » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:52 pm

Hi,
Is that instead of or in addition to the one already there?

Dr_EveL

Post by Dr_EveL » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:43 pm

That should be instead of as Emma was successful getting onto a course :)

Mr Ben

Post by Mr Ben » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:30 pm

Could we add the contact email address for the Joint Oxford and Buckinghamshire AP/Graduate Group?

It is: apbucks@googlemail.com

:D If I find the contact names, I shall let you know...! :roll: :lol: :wink:
just...keep.........going...

escapee

Post by escapee » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:14 pm

Done!! :)

escapee

Post by escapee » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:50 pm

Hi all,

I would really appreciate it if people could let me know uptodate details for any groups they either run or are part of.

Cheers!

Geneve

Essex Graduate Psychologists Group

Post by Geneve » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:42 pm

I think that most of the people listed as co-chairs of the essex group have left. I believe that the new list is on the BPS website now.

Musical Mel

East Anglia Assistant Psychologist Group

Post by Musical Mel » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:36 pm

Hi all

There has been an AP group running in Norwich and surrounding towns (Kings Lynn, Great Yarmouth, Attleborough etc) for a few years. I used to help organise it but as I'm no longer working directly in clinical psych I'm not involved as much as I used to be.

If you are interested in joining - they usually hold monthly / six-weekly meetings with speakers on different topics, discussions etc - then email eastangliaassistantpsychologists@hotmail.co.uk. Hopefully someone will get back to you.

Mel
"You never had a camera in my head"
The Truman Show

Live Chat - http://www.clinpsy.org.uk/chat.php

Rob

Post by Rob » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:22 pm

Hey all.

The contact details are not correct for the Sussex group. I have no idea about West Sussex, but there is a group running in the east called the 'East Sussex Psychology Graduates Group'. We welcome new members who are psychology graduates, who work in any role but maintain an interest in practising psychology. They should work within East Sussex, or if outside this area be willing to travel to the group. Existing members hold roles such as Assistant Psychologists, Graduate Mental Health workers, Support Time and Recovery Workers and Support Workers, in paid and voultary positions so all are welcome and should email for further details. The group meets once a month from 2 to 4pm and we discuss current issues in psychology, at a local and national level and the group provides a relaxed and supportive environment for peer support. There is also an active social side to the group!

Group chairs include:
Rachel Wilkinson
Jonathan Gibbins
Liz Collins
Rob Brindley
Catherine Eekelaar
Claire Wheatley

If you need any more details please do contact us on: eastsussexpsychologygraduates@yahoo.co.uk - Thanks!
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Mr Ben

Post by Mr Ben » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:52 am

Could someone ammend the details so that it says Buckinghamshire/Oxfordshire Joint AP group (or however you would like to convey it - just as long as it is clear that the Buckinghamshire group is a joint group with Oxfordshire - and perhaps adding that meetings alternate between the two counties...)

Edit: Just noticed that you've got "Joint Oxford and Buckinghamshire AP/Graduate Group" Please note, this is the same as the "Buckinghamshire Assistant Group" (with the same organisers), so if they could be murged, that would be great. Also, so that the group is not missed, could it be called something beginning with either Buckinghamshire or Oxfordshire - people may miss it since they're unlikely to look under "J", which is what it is under, with the word "joint" :).

Thanks - oh, and the enbolding for "Wessex Assistant Psychologists Group" has not worked.

Hope that's OK - not trying to be picky! :oops: :lol:

Cheers,

Ben :)
just...keep.........going...

escapee

Post by escapee » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:07 pm

:) thanks for pointing that out. I've popped it under both Buckinghamshire and Oxford to make it easy for people to find :)