PhD Studentship

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc

PhD Studentship

Postby mstaffs » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:53 am

Hi

I am considering applying for a fully funded PhD studentship. Has anybody had any experience of this? What does it actually involve and what did you feel you got from the experience? I am guessing since they aren't exactly giving places away it must be seen as a positive career move? I am specifically wondering if doing such a thing would improve my chances when it comes to applying for ClinPsy doctorate courses?

Any advice very much appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
mstaffs

Re: PhD Studentship

Postby sarahg » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:25 pm

My top tip would be do NOT do a PhD if you are using it as a stepping-stone for DClinPsy.

Yes, people do have PhD's when they apply for DClinPsy, but this a long and tough way to approach getting onto the DClinPsy. PhDs are not easy and require a lot of self-motivation.
sarahg

Postby mstaffs » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:34 pm

sarahg wrote:My top tip would be do NOT do a PhD if you are using it as a stepping-stone for DClinPsy.

Yes, people do have PhD's when they apply for DClinPsy, but this a long and tough way to approach getting onto the DClinPsy. PhDs are not easy and require a lot of self-motivation.

Thankyou,

The more i am looking into it the more i am realising that seems very true!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
mstaffs

Postby ajpritch » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:49 pm

Did you end up going for this? I have recently just been awarded a PhD studentship - so if you want any interview advice etc let me know :)
ajpritch

Return to Applications