Replies to Advice Writing ClinPsy Doctorate Application wiki

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc

Re: Replies to Advice Writing ClinPsy Doctorate Application

Postby Loula » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:12 pm

I'm all for bigging up disseminations e.g. within service things, but I think including an unpublished masters dissertation stretches it too far. I was on a panel for AP interviews a few weeks ago and when discussing research experience we became aware that very few applicants discussed dissemination as part of this. We had an interesting discussion as a panel about the ethical obligations to disseminate your work, particularly if you have accessed a clinical group. Things like poster presentations or even an internal report/presentation to the hosting service can be a simple way to disseminate, and for me, someone at masters level should be trying to do more with their work than just meet the requirements to pass the course. I don't shortlist for a course, but I did and someone put in their masters as a dissemination without any evidence that they've tried to disseminate it further, it would actually irritate me*

*disclaimer: I'm in an irritable mood today and may just be frustrated that I am still working on my doctoral thesis after qualifying because I think I owe it to my participants
Loula

Postby Mikel Arteta » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:02 pm

I think 'bigging up' what you have can go against someone. Yes, I am definitely all for including leaflets produced, talk/presentation you did for staff members, etc. - but don't make the mistake people make in many sections on the form and cram every last tiny thing on because they're so anxious about the stiff competition. It weakens the form because someone sounds desperate and not really in the right, reflective place to start training. Less is more in this case. At the end of the day it is a 'dissemination# section so if it hasn't been 'disseminated', then it shouldn't be in the section. It is was a 'Please state research projects completed' - then yeah, but it isn't.
Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly, all your life
you were only waiting for this moment to arise
:)
Mikel Arteta

Postby Beggarsroost » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:28 am

I would tend to agree with Mikel Arteta and others in that if there hasn't been any real 'dissemination' then it shouldn't be included. I was just surprised at how insistent the trainees were at the meeting that anything could be included if you spin in the right way.

Fortunately, I did present my dissertation as a poster so can include it without too much worry!
Life is far too important to be taken seriously
Beggarsroost

Postby miknatissizpusula » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:21 pm

Thank you for all the feedback everyone. It is great to hear others' opinions on this. I think what made me ask the question initially was the online availability of the unpublished thesis through the university library. So it seemed to me then that the thesis is s available to a larger audience than initially obvious supervisors. However I do agree that dissemination itself is a more active process which requires a lot of hard work. So for now I think I decided not to include the unpublished thesis titles in there.
miknatissizpusula

Postby enid » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:46 pm

No I definitely wouldn't! Everyone has unpublished theses, likely in libraries - it's a given :)
enid

Postby astra » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:49 pm

The thing is that a good all round application isn't going to be rejected just because someone has put down an unpublished MSc or dissertation in the dissemination section, but if they are padding out a weak application with things that don't really count then they need to think again. I've only been short-listing for 6 years though so what would I know :wink:
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn
astra

Postby enid » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:28 am

It's a question we ask in academia as well, in the recruitment process, can you send some examples of publications or work that you have disseminated. If someone sent a dissertation or a link to a dissertation we might think they don't understand what publication/dissemination means. I guess this is the only risk, or maybe it's different, as publications and dissemination are fairly crucial in academia. Though as you say if it's an otherwise excellent application, I doubt it would matter at all.
enid

Postby Mikel Arteta » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:05 pm

I don't think anyone is saying an application would be rejected for including a dissertation, but people are asking whether it could be included and as people have mentioned if you haven't 'disseminated' it, then it shouldn't go in a 'dissemination' section. I do agree people who tend to do this are people who are 'padding it out'. This or people who are anxious about the competition and think they need to include everything they have ever done in every section and it tends to have the opposite effect and makes it look worse. Less is more, just be honest, be yourself and tell your story; if you have enough qualifications and experience this tends to be enough (as long as the form is well written).
Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly, all your life
you were only waiting for this moment to arise
:)
Mikel Arteta

Postby Esuma » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:15 pm

This is an extremely old post but I'm just wondering whether I can include what I'm intending to in the dissemination section! As part of my masters I did a systematic review on an area, which I then presented to my department in a presentation for our monthly CPD. I was mostly focusing on the topic area since it was unfamiliar to the majority of the team but I also discussed my research and findings... would that count as dissemination!?
Esuma

Postby miriam » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:46 am

Yes (though obviously the strongest examples in this category are peer reviewed publications, followed by other papers/books and conference presentations).
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com
miriam
Site Admin

Postby Esuma » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:02 pm

Great thank you :)
Esuma

Previous

Return to Applications