Completing a KSA portfolio

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc

Completing a KSA portfolio

Postby sazzlesaz » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:33 pm

Hi everyone!

I hope I am posting this question in the right place.

I have a question regarding the self-statement parts of the KSA portfolio. I have emailed BABCP as well but haven't had a response yet and I've heard it can take a while to hear back as they are so busy. In the guidelines it states that each criterion must be evidenced by, among other things, a self statement. It then also mentions an alternative counter-signed self-statement attesting to all the criteria included in the application - What I am wondering is if it is then possible to write one long statement showing how you meet all the criteria and then get this signed by my Clinical Supervisor (Chartered Clinical Psychologist)? I'm not completely sure as this part of the guide seems a little vague.

Any help would be massively appreciated!
sazzlesaz

Re: Completing a KSA portfolio

Postby anwyl94 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:41 pm

Hi!

So you will have to write a separate self-statement for each of the 13 KSA demonstrating how you meet the particular criterion (for the majority of them, you also have to provide explicit examples within the self-statement) - I'm afraid they won't accept one long statement. If I remember correctly - you also have to submit statements written by your references for the last 3 criteria (about how you meet that particular competency). You don't have to have a separate reference for the other criteria - you can ask someone who can attest to your competency in that criteria to counter-sign your self-statement. My advice would be to ask as many different people as you can to counter-sign/provide a reference for the different criteria- clinical supervisor, previous supervisors/university lecturers etc., as I think the BABCP want to see that you've had a breadth of experience, rather than having one person to attest to your competencies. At least, that's the advice I had when I completed my KSA!

Hope my ramblings make sense! :)
anwyl94

Re: Completing a KSA portfolio

Postby sazzlesaz » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:26 pm

Thanks anwyl94 for your detailed response :) You have been very helpful. I'm in a little bit of a tricky situation as I have been working as an AP in a private practice for two years and don't have any other direct supervisors, but will definitely be able to get some university staff to attest to some of the criteria so that's good.

I'll give it a try anyway!

Thanks again.
sazzlesaz

Return to Applications