Trainee Mental Health Workers in London

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc

Trainee Mental Health Workers in London

Postby Saf » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:50 pm

http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/cgi-bin/vacdetai ... =912742633

The post states the following:

"Are you a bright, pioneering individual who has a passion for working within Mental Health? Do you hold a degree, 2:2 or above, and have relevant working experience in Mental Health? If you have the right attitude towards caring for people experiencing mental health problems, and your profile fits the above criteria, then this opportunity may be ideal for you.

Our successful graduate trainee programme is available for the third year running. Led by three leading London NHS Mental Health Trusts, the programme is aiming to recruit 40 Trainee Mental Health Workers to support trained staff in implementing and delivering high quality care. This is a collaborative venture involving Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Mental Health NHS Trust, Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust, Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust and Middlesex University. This 12 month programme will commence in early January 2012. The structure is such that you will be based at the University for specified periods to undertake block teaching, and the remainder of the time will be utilised in blocks of practice in your designated Trusts. You will receive support from the Practice Supervisors in your employing trust, as well as from the academic staff at Middlesex University.

You will receive a pro rata salary equivalent to NHS Agenda for Change Pay Band 3, for the days spent in practice, and your full tuition fees will be paid (Starting salary will normally be at the minimum point of the salary scale, please refer to the starting salary policy attached).

On successful completion of the course you may have the opportunity to apply for a promotional post at any of the three Trusts in a range of services. "
Saf

Re: Trainee Mental Health Workers in London

Postby CleverHans » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:06 am

If anyone wants any further information on these posts let me know... I am coming to the end of this exact course/job and because it's a relatively new course there's not a whole lot of avenues for advice seeking! I'm going to create a "week in the life of a Trainee Mental Health Worker" post in the What Clinical Psychologists do wiki so if you fancy a bit of insight into the day-to-day job requirements then head over there.
"Self-belief does not necessarily ensure success, but self-disbelief assuredly spawns failure."
CleverHans

Postby LuckyG89 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:52 am

Hey I would love some extra info on the post...I am currently filling in the application so would be helpful to know what they look for and what exactly it is they do
LuckyG89

Postby Ruthie » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:02 am

CleverHans wrote:If anyone wants any further information on these posts let me know... I am coming to the end of this exact course/job and because it's a relatively new course there's not a whole lot of avenues for advice seeking! I'm going to create a "week in the life of a Trainee Mental Health Worker" post in the What Clinical Psychologists do wiki so if you fancy a bit of insight into the day-to-day job requirements then head over there.

Please do and consider writing one for Aspire as well. :D

It would be really helpful for our members considering this type of role and also those further along the career ladder to find out more about what sort of things people in these roles do.
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken Him completely by surprise.
Ruthie

Postby CleverHans » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:02 pm

So I don't know if i'm being a total newbie but I couldn't work out how to create a new Wiki and figured a moderator might need to do this so I just wrote it as a response to Miriam's original response here:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=123

I'm hoping that someone will move it to where it needs to go!
"Self-belief does not necessarily ensure success, but self-disbelief assuredly spawns failure."
CleverHans

Postby CleverHans » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:32 pm

LuckyG89 wrote:Hey I would love some extra info on the post...I am currently filling in the application so would be helpful to know what they look for and what exactly it is they do

Hey LuckyG89

Ok, you have to bare with me because the post literally is as vague as it sounds so forgive me if this doesn't leave you too better educated...

What they look for: - On the course at the moment there's people of all ages and all experiences. Most of us are Psychology graduates, some with Masters, some without but some people have Sociology or other Social Science degrees.
They're not hugely clear on this but the post literally is very novel and you will find yourself having to explain your role to pretty much everyone you come into contact with in the NHS. With that in mind I think they're looking for people with a bit of a drive for making a difference. The theory is to provide a generic role, someone flexible who can adapt their training and knowledge to aid different members of the multidisciplinary team. For instance I worked on an Acute Inpatient Psychiatric ward so rather than having another student nurse there learning how to risk assessments and medication, they had someone who could liaise with Psychotherapy, Day Therapy and Occupational Therapy to organise and help run therapeutic groups. They had someone who comes from a non Medical background with insight into various disciplines and who can work effectively across them.
As you;d only be the 3rd cohort of this program in London you are paving the way for future Trainees and helping to make their transition easier as well as helping to increase the notoriety of this position. With that in mind you need to be prepared to stick by what it says on your Job Description which involves a lot of being assertive to managers that you need to be involved in X, Y, or Z. NHS services are overstretched and so I can see why it's easy to view a position like this as another Support Worker or student nurse or just another pair of hands in general and so I think the coordinators of this program are looking for someone who is prepared to speak up when they believe their skills are not being used to the advantage of the service in the way that they should be.
You have PPD groups to discuss this in and get support / advice about what to do if this is the case.
They look for caring people who are passionate about mental health and prepared to go the extra mile.
An important thing to remember is that you're doing a PGDip alongside working and sometimes you have essay submissions due when you are in work and so good prioritising skills are a must have.

- what exactly they do: - This is the tricky question. I can only speak for Barnet Enfield & Haringey (BEH) Mental Health Trust. 3 trusts are involved in the program; BEH, Camden & Islington (C&I) and Central North West London (CNWL) and all fund a certain number of people through the course as well as employing them. You'll be provided information on all of these and asked to give a preference for who you wish to work for.
In BEH we had 2 clinical placements. The first placement was an Acute placement. I was placed on an Acute Psychiatric Inpatient ward which focussed on assessing and treating acutely unwell individuals with severe and enduring Depression and Anxiety, people who had attempted to take their own lives and people experiencing Psychotic episodes. Other placements included: Psychiatric Intensive Care Units, Home Treatment Teams, Dementia, Occupational Therapy and Day Therapy. Duties vary from placement to placement as is the way with this post. I was able to get involved in and observe assessments, attend tribunals and Care Program Approach reviews as well as co-facilitate Patient Community Meetings and therapeutic groups. Members of the Home Treatment team mostly went on home visits to provide clients with medication and reassurance. People in the Dementia service worked in the Day Unit supporting clients as well as in the memory clinic. Day therapy members saw clients from the community as well as spending time carrying out activities with inpatients from Psychiatric wards.
Our second placement was a community placement. I currently work for the Complex Care Team which was previously Psychological Therapies. I am very lucky to be supervised by a Counselling Psychologist. I am also lucky to be carrying out a program of Behavioural Activation with a client with Anxiety so I have been required to research this and how it can be used to tackle Anxiety and I carry this out in a self directed way with Supervision from a Consultant / Professor. I attend team meetings and work with 2 Associate Mental Health Workers who did the course last year and wer offered a job here (so there are good job prospects). Other people's placements include START, which is a signposting service where Trainee Mental Health Workers help assess people and point them in the right direction for the help they need, an Eating Disorders service, Home Treatment Team etc. Some Trainees have been involved in research and audit projects. There's scope and room if you can back it up with a good reason to gain any experience you want. Some people have been sent on Motivational Interviewing courses.
Mostly you have access to client care plans and have a hand in reviewing and updating these, you have a hand in risk assessing the clients you work with and engaging in interventions with them.

I hope this has, at least in part, answered your questions. I'm happy to expand on anything you're not clear on. I wish I could be clearer but the nature of the job is so diverse that it's hard for me to give you an idea of exactly what you'll be doing. This job is what you make of it to be honest. You can get as much or as little out of it as you want but where else can you work with every discipline you can think of in mental health services!

Siobhan
CleverHans

Postby Serendipity5 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:38 pm

I am also in the current cohort of TMHWs and I just wanted to add to this to give people a taster of the variety of placements you could be working in.

I am with Camden and Islington and I have had 2 community placements (some people have done one inpatient and one community placement and I think this was the plan but they ended up with more community placements available). My first placement was in substance misuse which is an area I did not know much about and would never have dreamt of applying for in the past. However it turned out to be a great experience. Under the supervision of a clinical psychologist I learnt about my presumptions and misconceptions, how I manage in challenging situations (or how I don’t!) and the relationship between substance misuse and mental health. I had a small number of cases and applied principles of CBT and motivational interviewing techniques. I also worked closely with assistant and trainee psychologists and got involved with research and assessments. It was a multi-disciplinary team where I was lucky to learn from nurses, psychiatrists, psychologists, drug workers, social workers and pharmacists.

My second placement is starkly different to the first and is in residential rehabilitation, where I am working in a nurse led team. There is a consultant psychiatrist but no psychologist at present. The aim of the service is to support people to move onto independent/less supported living. In this setting I co-facilitate a group and have made use of my motivational interviewing techniques and knowledge of drugs and alcohol, as there are a few residents with a dual diagnosis.

Like Siobhan said the role is what you make it and if you integrate with the team and get stuck in you will gain more from the experience.

One of the most salient things that I have gained from this role is becoming more reflective because I (like many) always struggled with the concept of reflection. When I worked with psychologists during my undergraduate placement I did not make the most of reflective supervision and would sit there blankly racking my brain! But now I do it nearly every day and find it has been useful in all aspects of my life. They encourage reflection through PPD groups where we discussed different models of reflective practice and applied it to our work and the reflective case studies that we write.

Good luck to those applying!
~Strive to be the exception not the rule~
Serendipity5

Postby Saf » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:45 pm

Siobahan and Serendipity5 thank you both for being kind enough to explain these posts! :mrgreen:
Saf

Postby porcelina » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:26 am

Thanks for this info. Bit of a personal question, but given past discussion on this board [url]http://www.clinpsy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=53939&highlight=iapt+london#53939\[/url] I was wondering how you and your cohort have survived in London on three-fifths of Band three for a full-time position? Is it usual to continue other work on the side and if so, how manageable is that?

PS I clearly need to read the wiki on how to post urls properly *goes to do that*
porcelina

Postby LuckyG89 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:48 pm

Siobahan and Serendipity5 thank you so much...its helpful to know what people make of it......I am just working on my personal statement.....its really annoying because every private company i apply to psych jobs for like my personal statement but when i write a similar one for the equivalent nhs job i never seem to get any interviews......well im just going to give it ago and hope for the best.........and that was the only other major quesiton i had (same as porcelina) i was unsure about how to possibly survive on that much (or little should i say) money in london, Im not fussed about low pay if its good experience which this sounds like but for me I just need to make sure I can afford all my expenses (e.g. rent, living, postgrad loan, undergrad loan if it starts coming out ...etc...)
LuckyG89

Postby CleverHans » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:41 pm

porcelina wrote:Thanks for this info. Bit of a personal question, but given past discussion on this board [url]http://www.clinpsy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=53939&highlight=iapt+london#53939\[/url] I was wondering how you and your cohort have survived in London on three-fifths of Band three for a full-time position? Is it usual to continue other work on the side and if so, how manageable is that?

PS I clearly need to read the wiki on how to post urls properly *goes to do that*

Yes ladies it's pretty grim, not going to lie.

It all really depends where you work. Camden & Islington and CNWL provide you with Inner London Weighting whereas BEH doesn't. I suppose it depends where you choose to live too.

I live in Wood Green. My first placement I had to get 2 buses to work which was looong and woeful at 5:30am (for early shifts) but now I can walk to work in 20mins and i'm 1 20 min bus ride away from uni. I was lucky to find a decent rent. There's also hospital accomodation (at a VERY decent price) for C&I people (you can walk to work and uni pretty much). If you work shifts such as in an Acute ward you get money for working past 8pm so you could always volunteer for night shifts. I generally made an extra 12 hours a month which was enough to keep me ticking over. Some people last year did bank but I don't feel I could've had a healthy work/life balance doing that. I'd rather be skint and happy than a bit better off with no time to spend the money. It just depends what you're used to. I had to cut down on nights out and fancy food but everyone's in the same boat and we all tended to just hang round each other's flats with cheap bottles of wine and head to Camden/Shoreditch at a decent enough time to get into clubs. I haven't bought clothes since I started let's put it that way but it's taught me about materialism.

At the end of the day the NHS is funding you through seven thousand pound post grad and the opportunities it provides is worth it in my book
CleverHans

Postby LuckyG89 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:10 pm

well ive sent my application so fingers crossed....thanks for all the advice and information is definitely helpful

Lucky
LuckyG89

Postby CleverHans » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:58 pm

Good luck!

Let us know if you want any interview advice. It was a strange interview process!
CleverHans

Postby rsuk10 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:19 pm

Sent off my app too! It's quite exciting to feel like we have another shot at a training programme for those of us who didn't got onto iapt this year :)
rsuk10

Postby CleverHans » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:45 pm

Good luck to you too rsuk10!

Yeah most jobs in IAPT ask you to be a qualified PWP or have a PGCert in mental health but this gives you a PGDip which is a level up from PGCert so wooo!
CleverHans

Next

Return to Applications