Assistant Psychologist - CV?

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
natalie427

Assistant Psychologist - CV?

Post by natalie427 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:08 pm

I am planning on applying for an assistant pscyhologist role but unlike the others I have applied for this one is requesting a CV?. I am so used to (and comfortable) with completing application forms, that this is a bit alien to myself.

I feel like my current CV does not express how suited I am for the role, but then I hear that a CV should be as short and concise as possible. It states my qualifications, careers and volunteer work but does not give example of how I have applied my skills in these settings.

So, therefore would you have the information you would include in your supporting information in your covering letter? Is the covering letter where you expand your CV?

Any advice and all would be appreciated :)

astra

Re: Assistant Psychologist - CV?

Post by astra » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:15 pm

I think if I was preparing a CV for a specific role I would put a chunky paragraph in explaining my suitability for this role in particular, and sub-head it "Key Strengths" or something like that. This para would contain statements such as "Having worked with ??? groups of people, I have developed awareness of ??? issues", "I used supervision in ??? roles to explore ??? topics", "I have developed ??? skills through my experience of working with ???" and so on. This could equally be in the covering letter, but I would be a little cautious of that in case the covering letter and CV got separated somehow and all the shortlister/interviewer ended up with was the CV. I don't think there's a right answer to this one, you probably just need to go with what looks best on paper and what you are happiest with.
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn