Supporting Statement for AP post, help!

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
selinkxv

Supporting Statement for AP post, help!

Post by selinkxv » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:27 pm

So I've been applying to loads of NHS AP posts and unfortunately out of 15 applications, got 1 interview. I've changed the supporting statement style twice where I address the person specification but nope.

Wondering if anyone who has had success with their AP post applications to have a read over mine and share thoughts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, you have no idea!

jason712

Re: Supporting Statement for AP post, help!

Post by jason712 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:11 pm

First of all welcome. Now AP posts are incredibly varied and unique so every personal statement should be tailored towards the one you are applying to. You're on the right track and ticking the boxes of the PS but try not to be too robotic in doing so. When you're writing how you fulfill each required criteria, give examples of how you do, what you've done etc...

Lastly, it's incredibly competitive and arbitrary, as is this field of work in general. Your application is up against 1000s, so you have to do your best to highlight your strengths. Not sure how experience you are but if you've just graduated from an undergraduate degree then consider getting other relevant experiences first, like Support work or HCA. They provide excellent experience as well.

There's this gold standard upheld for an AP role and the truth is many get onto the doctorate just fine without ever being an AP. That's not to say it doesn't help, because it certainly does, having a CP supervise you and possibly provide a reference for the Doctorate is great. Just don't over burden yourself, there are other interesting ways to get the experience you need.

I was a Substance Misuse practitioner for young people, that allowed me to develop of a lot various skills; care planning, case management, interpersonal skills, rapport building, safeguarding, risk assessment, utilising CBT principles, brief interventions, MI and so on.

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:48 am

One interview out of fifteen applications isn't a bad hit rate, actually! Think it took me 80-100 before I landed my first interview. This isn't something you can do much about, I'm afraid, but I would suggest that the difference is probably in the quality of the other candidates and how they compare to you rather than anything you are doing wrong or could do better. At the end of the day, shortlisting for an AP is like choosing the shiniest diamond in a pile of very shiny diamonds - its tricky because there are so many very very excellent candidates (once you've cleared the coal away). It isn't unusual to have 150+ applications, of which about 100 meet all the essential criteria. Its tricky. Good luck, and congratulations on being one of the shinier diamonds that time you were shortlisted.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

olive

Post by olive » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:26 pm

Hi,
I'd be happy to read over it and give comments, to my surprise I've done well getting interviews straight out of uni.. I'm no expert but if you'd like some help :) PM for my email address [edited by moderator to remove email address]
Last edited by maven on Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to remove email address from public view to prevent spam and unwanted emails five years from now

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:39 pm

I really wouldn't put your private e-mail address on a public forum like this. Far better, IMHO, to ask people to PM you.

selinkxv

Post by selinkxv » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:41 pm

Thanks Jason! I'm actually a bit of a weird one, did a masters conversion at 23 and got the typical experience like mental health work at inpatient wards, working with kids that have SEMH needs in a school and lastly working for save the children on the syrian border as a mental health officer (as cool as that sounds on application NHS doesn't seem to give a rats arse). I've been reluctant to apply to clinical doctorate roles simply because I haven't had direct CP supervision/experience although some suggest I should try because you never know.. however when you apply to simple AP posts and barely get shortlisted, it gets you to think 'huh maybe not quite there yet'.
jason712 wrote:First of all welcome. Now AP posts are incredibly varied and unique so every personal statement should be tailored towards the one you are applying to. You're on the right track and ticking the boxes of the PS but try not to be too robotic in doing so. When you're writing how you fulfill each required criteria, give examples of how you do, what you've done etc...

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:03 am

Statistically it is harder to get an nhs AP post than a place on the doctorate, and quite a few trainees have never been APs so I wouldn't get too hung up on that thought.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

selinkxv

Post by selinkxv » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:33 pm

miriam wrote:Statistically it is harder to get an nhs AP post than a place on the doctorate, and quite a few trainees have never been APs so I wouldn't get too hung up on that thought.

oh really? had no idea. that is a bit reassuring, so thank you! i think i may just muster up the courage to apply for the training as well as practically begging old professors to write me a reference.