How important are A Level grades in application?

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
jablonski

How important are A Level grades in application?

Post by jablonski » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:30 am

Hi there, my first post here. I was wondering what current and past trainees think about the importance of good A Levels? I know at Newcastle it can boost your chance of being selected in the first sift as they have a kind of points system, but do all other institutions look at A levels? In particular I have my eye on the Trent and Oxford courses.

If it helps you provide me your answer, my A level grades were A*A*B. Thanks :)

maven
Site Admin

Re: How important are A Level grades in application?

Post by maven » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:43 pm

There is no single way of selecting amongst applications. Some courses care about A-level marks, some don't. But whether or not they do it won't do you any harm, surely?
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

jablonski

Post by jablonski » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:39 pm

maven wrote:There is no single way of selecting amongst applications. Some courses care about A-level marks, some don't. But whether or not they do it won't do you any harm, surely?
Thanks. I've realised since posting this you can usually find a selection procedure document for each individual course which isn't posted on the clearing house and sometimes even the university website and they do tend to detail whether or not they have a points system for A levels. I noticed that Bath University also has a points system, for example.

Unfortantely for me, it appears Trent doesn't seem to care about A levels, and Oxford hasn't detailed their specific selection procedure. Lmao.

ell

Post by ell » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:52 am

But surely with 2 A* A levels (which I didn't even know you could get), you're going to be ahead of most in the A level stakes?

I got onto Oxford with ABC at A level. Was a few years ago though.

jablonski

Post by jablonski » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:58 am

ell wrote:But surely with 2 A* A levels (which I didn't even know you could get), you're going to be ahead of most in the A level stakes?

I got onto Oxford with ABC at A level. Was a few years ago though.
ABC are good A level grades! While we're still on this topic I also found a paper written for "best predictors of success of DClinPsy course" or something like that, which found the best predictor of success was high school academic grades. Pretty interesting stuff, although impossible to say the extent to which, as hopeful applicants, it really swings it in applications :)

EDIT: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4153958/