How do you overcome issues in MDT working?

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!

How do you overcome issues in MDT working?

Postby bunnies » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:24 pm

I'm thinking about this as an interview question.

In my experience the issues that have personally come up for me are:

Conflicting opinions
Can be addressed by being respectful of others opinions listening to their opinion and sufficiently explaining why you disagree with them and on what basis. I think having a good manager helps with this, as someone who can allow both opinions to be heard and the team coming to either an appropriate decision.

One person's opinion being "louder" than others/ taken as gospel over others.
A difficult one, something to possibly address in individual supervision or group reflective practise. However, how do you manage it in the moment. E.g. A Psychotherapist who has seen a client a handful of times believes the client should be discharged from he service, however an OT who has worked with the client every day for 4 weeks believes they are not ready to leave. Despite this, the psychotherapists opinion is taken as more appropriate over the OT's possibly due to personal reasons such as the psychotherapist being louder, worked in the service for longer despite the (in this case) better evidence coming from the OT.

A practical one: MDT members not attending
Very frustrating, but does happen. Important that members of MDT are told about the meeting beforehand so they can try to attend or give a report to be considered in their absence. I have had this happen though where the member who was missing did not give a report and then did not agree with decisions made in that meeting.

Wondering what you guys thoughts are on this, if thus sounds similar to otherx experience and how you have/ would overcome some of these examples.

P.S. is this is the wrong part of the forum?
bunnies

Re: How do you overcome issues in MDT working?

Postby maven » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:09 am

Seems reasonable.

I'm a bit outspoken in these kinds of situations, so I might ask "how many times have you seen the client?" to the psychotherapist and then "Oh, and how many times have you seen the client?" to the OT. Then I could reflect "So, it might be that as you get to know them you can see that..." and support the weaker voice if I felt it was better evidenced. But then I'm qualified and can be a bit less tactful than you'd need to be if you were in a more junior position. But being relatively new and junior can allow you permission to ask questions. "Sorry, I'm quite new here, but I wondered how come you've formed such different opinions... how long have you known this client?" might work, for example.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare
maven
Site Admin

Postby bunnies » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:03 pm

Interesting thanks :D
bunnies

Postby ell » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:40 pm

I would also have some specific examples ready to describe. It sounds like you are talking from experience, but if you can describe a situation, what you did and why, and what you might do differently next time, then this might be helpful and can give more of a sense of who you are.
ell

Postby bunnies » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:26 pm

Thanks Ell, this is what I need to think about!
bunnies

Return to Interviews