Are Interventions jobs at HMPPS changing their recruitment process?

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!
NotReally

Are Interventions jobs at HMPPS changing their recruitment process?

Post by NotReally » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:38 pm

Hi all

So, there are probably going to be a few parts to my post. I'll try and keep things concise.

1) I have had a lot of interviews for interventions facilitator positions (spanning years now, though not all non-stop luckily), and they have all asked me to do a presentation. However, my most recent interview invite has asked me to instead engage the panel in a discussion. I personally think this is far more suited to the society of psych grads out there compared to doing a presentation. With the access to information today, even topics you are not strong on can seem well-suited with sufficient notice period. Based on the psych grads i've met, I would be confident all can lead a discussion to a sufficiently strong standard, whereas not everyone enjoys presenting (me included!). What does everyone think? For those who control similar processes, might this influence how you conduct your interviews? Obviously the type of role will matter, but i'm speaking about roles similar to those i've mentioned.

2) Any tips for the above interview please! Specifically, i'm not in a psych related job at present, how would I introduce myself in the discussion? I feel like just my name is a little too scarce?

EDIT: In the interview invite, they have specifically mentioned not to bring any powerpoint materials to the interview, and not to do a presentation. This is what has made me think it may lead to a change in the interview process going forward, and maybe across the board too, as it seems they've disregarded the old process after using it for a while. Maybe others will follow. Maybe not...

psychsars

Re: Are Interventions jobs at HMPPS changing their recruitment process?

Post by psychsars » Wed May 02, 2018 5:14 pm

Hi NotReally, I had an interview in Feb and was asked to do a presentation- I got really good feedback although I didn't get the job this time, so I hope they don't change it! How did your interview go? I found the competency questions difficult!

NotReally

Post by NotReally » Wed May 02, 2018 5:46 pm

Hi psychsars, the interview is tomorrow.

It's odd, i've found I haven't been able to prepare as well for this compared to doing presentations, as with presentations, I can practice speech, timings etc. With this, it really will depend on how the discussion goes and the responses I get. Nevertheless, I still somehow feel more confident (beforehand) for this compared to the presentations.

Re: the competency questions. I was looking at some of my applications recently, and was baffled by my own answers to the competency stuff :lol: . I tend to just try to remember what I put in my application form and just stick to that.

NotReally

Post by NotReally » Thu May 03, 2018 3:55 pm

Update: had the interview today. The journey was scheduled to take me just under 3 hours, and actually took me about 5! Stuck for nearly an hour on the M6 not moving, got there at 10:30 with the interview scheduled at 10. Fortunately everyone there was really awesome about it.

The interview itself was pretty much what I expected. The discussion part was a nice change from the usual, though it's difficult to gauge how I did until I get feedback (in addition to the above travel chaos, my watch stopped working on the way, so I don't even know if I stuck to the 10 mins) and I think the competency questions went pretty decent too. Expecting to hear back in just over a week, the paranoia of what little things said and done at interview meant is kicking in already!

On the plus side, as I was setting off on the way back, I got a call inviting me for an AP interview! It's a problem, but tbf it's a good problem. Going to be really disheartening if nothing comes from these though :(