Secure unit interview

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!
AJ555

Secure unit interview

Post by AJ555 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:29 pm

Hello,

I have an interview coming up for an AP in a secure unit for children. I'm just wondering what kind of questions/topics I might be asked about and what to look into. I have had my fair share of AP interviews but this is the first one in this type of setting and most of my experience is within the community.

Any advice/info would be appreciated! Thank you.

Loula

Re: Secure unit interview

Post by Loula » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:54 am

I'm a qualified CP in secure services (well on maternity leave at the moment). Think about the additional challenges of this setting, what the role of psychology might be, mdt working stuff. I'd really encourage you to phone the interviewers and ask some questions, or even better ask to visit. I've always been surprised with AP interviews how few candidates have shown an interest in visiting a ward before interview - it would give you a real flavour of the role/service

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:19 pm

I also work in a secure service (not within psychology) and would consider having a look at relational security see think act / importance of boundaries, the difference in working with someone sectioned, and your own comfort in working in such an environment with the locked doors, security etc. A question I was asked and I think is worth asking yourself when I went for interview was about how I felt having come through the security perimeter and the locked doors - it's not an environment for everyone and that's ok! I work with adults however so I don't know much about secure children's services - perhaps looking at the sections held for the young people in the service (I don't even know how that works for young people) and considering the reasons the young people are there, how they may present and be to work with therapeutically.

AJ555

Post by AJ555 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:57 pm

Thank you both.

I think psychology within this service is going to be relatively new as there doesn't appear to be any mention of it within the staffing structure or reports available (they were also advertising for a CP at the same time).

I do agree with you Loula - visiting or phoning is something that has been mentioned to me before by CPs after interviews. I haven't been able to do this on this occasion (and wont have time before the interview) as I suffered a bereavement the day I had the interview date through and everything has been going 100mph. The only information available was for HR as well as it is non-NHS based (its local authority). So I want to make sure I put 110% into this interview. (I will definitely make sure to phone/visit before any future interviews though).

I appreciate your responses both and will have a think about these issues. I'm aware there will be a lot of risk to consider.

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:55 pm

I'd have a good think about child protection, risk, and attachment theory. Maybe have a think about how child development needs can be met in such a context.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.