Doctorate trainees - job prospects

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.

Doctorate trainees - job prospects

Postby sparko » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:12 pm

Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere but the search function hasn't been fruitful.

I'm currently doing my conversion with the hope of applying for the 2019 DClinPsy intake and have just discovered that trainee posts are fixed-term. I've seen the Clearing House stats that 94% of graduates are employed within 12 months but wondered how easy it is to find full time CP roles very quickly after graduating? It's something I'm clearly going to have to prepare for with having a mortgage...

Many thanks in advance!
sparko

Re: Doctorate trainees - job prospects

Postby Toria » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:13 pm

Hi sparko,

From my experience, I think that everyone who wants a job can find one, but it might not necessarily be in their preferred speciality/location straight away. Similarly, in my speciality (physical health) there are lots of fixed-term and part-time posts, so I didn't get a permanent job straight after training but did eventually after a few maternity leave contracts.

All the best with your conversion!

Toria
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf - Jon Kabat-Zinn
Toria

Re: Doctorate trainees - job prospects

Postby BlueCat » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:25 pm

As Toria has said, if you are willing to compromise on where and which specialty, you are pretty certain to get a post. If you are willing to consider private and third sector providers too, your opportunities are even greater. If all else fails, there is ALWAYS locum work (which pays a lot better usually).

It may be worth considering short term contracts, if ones that interest you come up, as they often have far fewer applicants, and may offer you the opportunity, post training, to try out various areas to see if they will suit you. In practice, as well, some fixed term contracts are just how some Trusts appoint people, especially if they're in special measures or a funding crisis (I don't get the ins and outs, but apparenty it makes some sort of difference to the balance sheets). In the unlikely event that you are without work following a short term contract...there's ALWAYS locum work. There really is.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.
BlueCat
Site Admin

Return to Professional/Employment Issues