Help on my answers for interview questions for AP in LD

Discuss what to expect in job and course interviews, what topics might be covered, how to manage anxiety, and how to get the desired result!

Help on my answers for interview questions for AP in LD

Postby Gia20 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:27 pm

Hi guys,

I have an AP in Learning Disability Interview pretty soon and I was wondering if anyone can help me with my answers to some interview questions that I have found and trying to answer?

1: What is the role of psychology in multi-discipciplinary team in LD?
- I need help on this one...

2: What problems could you encounter with assessment in a service for people with LD?
- people with a learning disability have difficulties understanding and perceiving some information. While carrying out assessment, it is likely that the individual may not understand. It can be beneficial to consider communication style and it can be necessary to make minor adaptions to make them accessible.

3: The role of assessment in LD?
- It helps to identify the persons needs and what needs to be done. once the needs are identified, suitable plans can be developed.

4: What to consider when doing group work with LD?
- every individual has different needs
-group tasks- consider things like easy read, Makaton, large print
-social enviornments could be distressing for some.

I would really appreciate your help so so so much.

Thanks

Gia
Gia20

Re: Help on my answers for interview questions for AP in LD

Postby ell » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:19 am

It's good that you've put some effort into thinking through these things, and it's nice to read you talking about the individual and people having different needs. I would go one step further and think more about what the individual might want, and what their opinions might be about all the different aspects of their care that you mentioned. How might you elicit service user preferences? How might you work with other people involved in their care (the wider system), assuming that this is appropriate/necessary?

Take a look at the job description to get an idea of what psychology might be involved in doing in MDTs for people with LD. Also, use the search function on this forum to get an idea of what psychologists do in LD services.
ell

Postby Syd2816 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:25 am

Hi

Good luck for your interview! I work as an AP for an LD team at the moment. My manager said that one of the main reasons why I got the job was because I was really passionate about why I want to work with people with LD - I had worked as a support worker before in LD and I talked about how the people I met were really inspiring and interesting people - very resilient and how much I enjoyed working with them, but also their family carers etc.

I'm not sure whether I can answer specific interview questions but I can give some pointers and ideas.

For the role of psychology in multi-discipciplinary team in LD, have a think about how you would promote psychology in a big MDT meeting with other professionals, how would you work well with other professionals? Working collaboratively and sharing info is important - and also, what do you think you would gain from working with other professionals? Would there be any challenges? A question that's come up for me a lot is also what would you do if you disagreed with another professional in a MDT meeting?

2: What problems could you encounter with assessment in a service for people with LD?
- people with a learning disability have difficulties understanding and perceiving some information. While carrying out assessment, it is likely that the individual may not understand. It can be beneficial to consider communication style and it can be necessary to make minor adaptions to make them accessible.

Yep this is good but think very specifically about how you would change your communication style?? give examples of what you would do e.g. would you use simple language? and maybe give an example of where you have done this. How would you adapt information?

Yep - a big part of my role is using the WAIS - but we also use assessments such as the ABAS or TFLS. what else would you want to consider? e.g. background info, speak to carers....

Really important to have a think about what you would need to consider when doing a cognitive assessment in LD - what factors can affect performance? (.e.g anxiety, low mood) and how would you overcome these in a session? (.e.g. monitor these and offer a break) - maybe have a little look at general instructions for a WAIS and they talk about general pointers for carrying out assessments.

Also consider other factors such as does the person also have Autism - how would this affect them? Consider sensory difficulties and what would you think about in the environment e.g. not too busy/loud?

Other things that always came up for me in AP interviews -
- Confidentiality - what is it When are you allowed to break it?
- Safeguarding - you will probably get a scenario here and ask what you would do - have a think about who you would tell? E.g. supervisor, rasie with safeguarding lead, would have discussed confidentiality
- sounds silly but you might be asked 'what is a learning disability' which really threw me!
- Risk - maybe another scenario - e.g. dealing with challenging behaviour - what would you do?
remember for scenarios, you're not qualified, your aim is usually to report to someone and tell your supervisor, ensure your safety, consider your own emotional reaction etc
-hopefully wont get asked too much about research but maybe basic things e.g. what's the difference between research and audit?

good luck!
Syd2816

Postby Gia20 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:10 pm

ell wrote:It's good that you've put some effort into thinking through these things, and it's nice to read you talking about the individual and people having different needs. I would go one step further and think more about what the individual might want, and what their opinions might be about all the different aspects of their care that you mentioned. How might you elicit service user preferences? How might you work with other people involved in their care (the wider system), assuming that this is appropriate/necessary?

Take a look at the job description to get an idea of what psychology might be involved in doing in MDTs for people with LD. Also, use the search function on this forum to get an idea of what psychologists do in LD services.

Hi Ell, Thank you so much for replying and giving advice, it really helped. xxx
Gia20

Postby Gia20 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:13 pm

Syd2816 wrote:Hi

Good luck for your interview! I work as an AP for an LD team at the moment. My manager said that one of the main reasons why I got the job was because I was really passionate about why I want to work with people with LD - I had worked as a support worker before in LD and I talked about how the people I met were really inspiring and interesting people - very resilient and how much I enjoyed working with them, but also their family carers etc.

I'm not sure whether I can answer specific interview questions but I can give some pointers and ideas.

For the role of psychology in multi-discipciplinary team in LD, have a think about how you would promote psychology in a big MDT meeting with other professionals, how would you work well with other professionals? Working collaboratively and sharing info is important - and also, what do you think you would gain from working with other professionals? Would there be any challenges? A question that's come up for me a lot is also what would you do if you disagreed with another professional in a MDT meeting?

Yep this is good but think very specifically about how you would change your communication style?? give examples of what you would do e.g. would you use simple language? and maybe give an example of where you have done this. How would you adapt information?

Yep - a big part of my role is using the WAIS - but we also use assessments such as the ABAS or TFLS. what else would you want to consider? e.g. background info, speak to carers....

Really important to have a think about what you would need to consider when doing a cognitive assessment in LD - what factors can affect performance? (.e.g anxiety, low mood) and how would you overcome these in a session? (.e.g. monitor these and offer a break) - maybe have a little look at general instructions for a WAIS and they talk about general pointers for carrying out assessments.

Also consider other factors such as does the person also have Autism - how would this affect them? Consider sensory difficulties and what would you think about in the environment e.g. not too busy/loud?

Other things that always came up for me in AP interviews -
- Confidentiality - what is it When are you allowed to break it?
- Safeguarding - you will probably get a scenario here and ask what you would do - have a think about who you would tell? E.g. supervisor, rasie with safeguarding lead, would have discussed confidentiality
- sounds silly but you might be asked 'what is a learning disability' which really threw me!
- Risk - maybe another scenario - e.g. dealing with challenging behaviour - what would you do?
remember for scenarios, you're not qualified, your aim is usually to report to someone and tell your supervisor, ensure your safety, consider your own emotional reaction etc
-hopefully wont get asked too much about research but maybe basic things e.g. what's the difference between research and audit?

good luck!

Hi Syd2816,

I really appreciate your help. Thank you so so much. This REALLY helped me ALOT. XXXXXXX
Gia20

Return to Interviews