Forensic Psychology - Advice on what jobs

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories

Forensic Psychology - Advice on what jobs

Postby natalie427 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:42 pm

Hi all,

I have just completed a Msc in Forensic Psychology (67%) and I have been struggling to get a job relevant to my course. I have volunteered with a children home (for young people who have displayed problematic sexual behaviours) as an assistant psychologist (since July 2016) and was able to gain an interview for their programme psychologist role. However, they stated that the other candidates had greater experience and knowledge compared to myself. This did knock me back and I am feel a little bit down about the whole job searching aspect.

I have previously volunteered at a mental health charity for 6 months, as a peer mentor and I have just applied to volunteer with childline and have an interview in February.

I did hope to have a job that relates to youth offending but I realise now I may have to be broad in my vision for jobs.

Could anyone advise me what jobs would be ideal for a recent graduate of Forensics Psychology with little experience?
Advice on volunteering and gaining experience is also appreciated.

Thank You,

Natalie
natalie427

Re: Forensic Psychology - Advice on what jobs

Postby RhubarbCrumble » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:59 pm

I know it's probably not what you want to be doing, but have you considered support work in a forensic setting e.g. A forensic hospital, with a strong psychology focus. After 6months -a year you would have some experience for forensic AP posts. Or , forensic related research. Some of this may have client contact such as in prisons, even if it doesn't you can still gain a lot of knowledge.
RhubarbCrumble

Postby natalie427 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:04 pm

I haven't been able to gain a support worker role in a forensic setting (doesn't seem to be many about) - but I have been offered a role as a Support Worker for individuals with autism. I'm just not sure now if the experience is going to help me with where I want to be heading (Forensic Psychology)
natalie427

Postby Alex » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:38 pm

Maybe go for a HCA in an acute mental health ward or PICU - I think it would look good. Shows you can tolerate high stress situations with dramatic presentations. Then you could build up for when a low or medium secure ward post is available. Also, don't forget the forensic clients are everywhere ;) I have been about and on many jobs I have encountered a client with a forensic history - even in primary care!

Support worker in addictions as well. Found a higher forensic history in this client group.
Alex

Postby natalie427 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:19 pm

Thank You for your advice, greatly appreciated.
Would you say then the role with individuals with autism isn't something I should be going for?
natalie427

Postby ChipChip » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:13 am

Hi Natalie,

I've read both your posts, I just wanted to say that although a forensic role would probably be better for you in the short term (I've never worked for Priory sorry so no idea what it's like) there's no reason why the Autism post would not be relevant. I'm not sure if I've got the wrong end of the stick but it seems like you're doing a lot of bits and bobs (or have done) in terms of volunteering roles and working. Maybe it would be a good idea to stick to your main area of focus if Forensic is really what you want to go for. It could be that the feedback was referring to the length and breadth of your experience rather than the scope of it (as it sounds like you've covered quite a few areas).

However, I worked in LD/Autism as a support worker and then moved to a forensic (locked) ward and had no issues - in fact I felt I learnt more working in LD/Autism and that helped me in my forensic post (especially in terms of de-escalating/providing co-regulation support to individuals in crisis). Although I'm biased because I'm passionate about Autism/LD and went back to the company I originally worked for as forensic wasn't for me.

Hope this helps. As Lingua said your notice period is there for a reason and the manager will be aware of that - it's just a case of taking a chance. I'd be more concerned about enjoying the role and that it was giving me the experience that I need/teaching me new skills as a 30-40 minute commute plus unsociable hours is not fun!!!

Chip x
ChipChip

Postby ChipChip » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:21 am

I just wanted to add...

(I'm sure you already are doing this) but try and be creative in where you're looking for jobs, I've seen youth offending posts advertised on my local council's website. Maybe take a chance and shoot a few letters/CVs off to your local Youth Offending Teams (even if they can't offer you a post they may be able to point you in the direction of other services that they work with). If your heart isn't in it for the Autism post (and you're not desperate for a new job yet) maybe a bit of patience and some digging will find you the right role. You're better of waiting for the right thing than rushing into something that might be wrong for you. The creative support role may be better for access to individuals who have come from forensic services, maybe you could discuss that with them?
ChipChip

Return to Careers advice