Verbal and numerical reasoning tests

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here

Re: Verbal and numerical reasoning tests

Postby confuseddotcom » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:53 pm

so in terms of what was said earlier.. i'm also thinking whether it's best to stop answering when you don't know the answer or to keep going and having a few guesses at the risk of lowering your 'percentage correct'.
confuseddotcom

Postby RJParker » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:28 pm

SHL do not use simple sum of correct answer scoring. They use theta based scoring: -

• A set of items for which a and b values are known are administered to the candidate.
  • The candidate’s right and wrong responses to the items are obtained.
  • An initial estimate of the candidate’s θ is chosen (there are various procedures for making this choice).
  • Based on the initial θ used and knowledge of each item’s properties, the expected probability of getting the item correct is calculated.
  • The difference between the candidate answering an item correctly and the probability expected of the candidate answering the item correctly, given the initial theta value, is calculated.
  • The sum of these differences across items is standardised, and this standardised difference is added to the initial θ estimate (negative differences reducing the estimated theta and positive differences increasing it).
  • If the differences are non-trivial, then the new θ estimate obtained from the previous step is used to start the above cycle again.
  • This process is repeated until the difference between the value of θ at the start of a cycle and the value obtained at the end of a cycle is negligible.

That should give you your answer. The above is from the freely available SHL manual by the way.
RJParker

Postby cassie0301 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:56 pm

Just wondering, what kind of questions will they ask in numerical reasoning tests? Will it be related to our statistics?
cassie0301

Postby RJParker » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:07 pm

I'd suggest you try the practice tests on the SHL site which will let you try for yourself. Simply put though, these are reasoning tests, not testing knowledge of mathematical methods.
RJParker

Postby clinpsymember » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:48 am

Is anyone else not able to log on to the test page today?? I tried yesterday, but the page was down for "monthly updates" and it said it would be up and running again at 11pm last night. However, today it is just not loading at all. Seeing as the Cardiff deadline is Monday, I am getting worried
clinpsymember

Postby RJParker » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:58 am

I am able to access the tests fine. I've raised a ticket with SHL to see if they are aware of any issues. As the invitation notes, we advise you do not leave the tests until the final couple of days to avoid any technical issues impacting on your ability to complete the tests in time.
RJParker

Postby clinpsymember » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:12 pm

Thank you RJParker! I did not want to leave it to the last couple of days as I had planned to do it yesterday, but the page was down for monthly updates from 5pm-11pm, which I was not aware of in advance
clinpsymember

Postby RJParker » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:52 pm

I'd suggest having a cup of tea, a jaffa cake, and leaving things for an hour or two and then trying again. I'm sure it will get resolved shortly.
RJParker

Postby FunkyB » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:29 pm

Hi Clinpsymember,
I feel you - the exact same thing has happened to me, both yesterday and today! Yesterday was particularly scary as I had logged in to do my numerical test and decided to procrastinate by doing the practice one, and the site went down half way through my practice one. This may be the only time that procrastination has saved me haha!
As for today, I managed to get in to do a verbal practice test but have now been sat waiting while the page loads for around 25 minutes. It was slow to load the practice one, not this slow mind you but it did load in the end! I assume it's related to high volume of traffic. Hang on in there! :)
FunkyB

Postby FunkyB » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:58 pm

Hey,
Out of interest, have you had any luck yet clinpsymember?
FunkyB

Postby sockmonkey » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:13 pm

I haven't had any luck getting onto the test page today either. I appreciate their advice about getting it completed earlier than the deadline date, but surely they should be able to run the website with enough power for the server not to go down completely like this the day before.

What time is the cutoff point tomorrow, anyone know?
sockmonkey

Postby RJParker » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:25 pm

23:59 tomorrow. The server is not down as I am able to access the tests. I have no doubt that any access issues you are having will be resolved with ample time left for you to complete the tests before the deadline tomorrow.

I will reiterate for anyone yet to sit the tests in the other windows; this is why you are given a two week window. If you wait until the last couple of days to take the test and have an issue, you are only placing unnecessary stress on yourself.
RJParker

Postby hannah0120 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:12 pm

I've been trying to get on all afternoon - no luck.

I did get an error message at one point saying there was a problem with the server. That was only after I left the page trying to load for about 40 minutes or so.

Still not getting in now.
hannah0120

Postby FunkyB » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:16 pm

I have also had numerous error messages stating that there was a server issue
FunkyB

Postby clinpsymember » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:53 pm

Thanks FunkyB, glad (in a way!) to hear it's not just me, although very frustrating too. I've had no luck, really want to get it done today as I'm working tomorrow. I do understand that it should not be left to the last minute, but what with some of the other unis doing a later window, I wanted to try and maximise the amount of time to practice - also did not help that the page was doing updates all of Saturday afternoon/evening, when I was planning to do it
clinpsymember

PreviousNext

Return to Clinical Doctorate Application Process