University of East Anglia (UEA) Teaching Blocks & Days

Discuss the content and style of the different clinical psychology doctoral training courses, the differences between them, placements, teaching, chat to other trainees and connect with other people who have places on the same course

University of East Anglia (UEA) Teaching Blocks & Days

Postby reishi » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:47 pm

Hello all,
I have a question for current UEA trainees or graduates. If you will be so kind and help me I would be very grateful.
I have read on the forum that since UEA covers a very large catchment area, placements are divided and you are encouraged to live in your placement area. However, there are teaching blocks of 4-5 weeks at the beginning of each term, and apart from that you are expected to attend one teaching day per week in term times. http://www.clinpsy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14094&hilit=UEA+2012&start=15#p124031

I was checking the distance between bases and the uni, for example if you are based in Cambridge, you need to commute 2.5 hours each way (public transport). Also, you need to pay for accommodation when you do the teaching blocks. So, can I ask you how do you manage all that? 2.5 hours is really long commute. Also, I know accommodation for teaching blocks are paid for NHS funded trainees but can you please tell me how much does it cost to live in that accommodation? Furthermore, could you please give some more info about placement areas, how many of them are there and what are their names for example?

Thank you very much!
"Ever since psychoanalysis came up, everybody's ill more or less."
reishi

Re: University of East Anglia (UEA) Teaching Blocks & Days

Postby alisonbab » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:26 am

Hi reishi. The current international students are based in Norwich so do not need to travel for teaching blocks. I'm not sure if this is going to be the case for next year as well (although I would imagine so) but I would ask the programme if I were you as that may cut down on all your questions!

The bases are:
Norwich
Cambridge
King's Lynn
Fens
Great Yarmouth and waveney
Peterborough
Huntington
Bury St. Edmunds
Ipswich

I'm afraid I don't know how much the accommodation would cost.

In terms of travel cost all funded students have cars and travel to UEA mainly by car on teaching days. We get travel expenses paid for mileage. (but yes for some bases it's a long trip!) As above, International students don't have to travel.

Hope that helps!
alisonbab

Postby persephone56 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:12 am

Apart from the international students, everyone on the course has a car. Many placements involve home visits so you really need one every day. That being said, it does seem that some accommodation has been made for international students - they have generally been placed relatively centrally in Norwich and I don't think they travel during the day for the most part. That's never a guarantee though, as far as I know, so it's a definite consideration and one to discuss with them.

As the international students are based in Norwich, usually, you don't need to pay for different accommodation for the teaching blocks. However, I think the option to stay with the other trainees is open to you, if you need it. I know one of the international students did that for the first teaching block, as she didn't have a home sorted yet, and I don't think she had to pay for it.

In terms of placement bases, if you're relying on public transport, then it's going to be tricky. Norwich, Cambridge and Peterborough probably have the best transport links. Many of the other areas may be quite rural, particularly the Fens.
persephone56

Postby reishi » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:52 pm

Thank you so very much. You've been really helpful!
"Ever since psychoanalysis came up, everybody's ill more or less."
reishi

Return to Clinical Doctorate Courses