The Great Big Progress Thread for 2017 entry DClinPsy

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here

Re: The Great Big Progress Thread for 2017 entry DClinPsy

Postby Sanskaras » Wed May 17, 2017 4:16 pm

2nd timer, pleased to report...

Staffs

I'm not sure where I sit on the list but I'm happy to have made some progress this year. I would be keen to hear if anyone is planning on turning down their Staffs place!
Sanskaras

Postby Esk » Thu May 18, 2017 11:38 am

I've waited such a long time to post this... After 6 years, 4 years of interviews and 2 reserve places I can finally say:

Cardiff

I'm still in a bit of a shock but I am over the moon. It's been a long, tough process for me and so many people have asked me why I've kept putting myself through it for this long. But even though the process has been heartbreaking at times I have always loved the work I was doing and sure that this was the right thing for me.

In previous years my anxiety got the better of me in interviews so this year I did as many mock interviews as I could possibly do, both with people in the field and people who know nothing about psychology. I also added in a few breathing exercises from yoga. I'm delighted to say that it paid off and can't wait to finally be starting training in October.
Esk

Postby Rainbowcake » Thu May 18, 2017 12:02 pm

So happy!
Oxford
Coventry and Warwick
Bath
South Wales
Rainbowcake

Postby Matthew » Thu May 18, 2017 12:30 pm

Second year applying. First interview this year.
Whilst it isn't a place, it was still a great experience to learn from and I will be able to glean some valuable insight from the feedback hopefully!
Congratulations to all those blues at Cardiff, hope you really enjoy! It was lovely to meet everyone on the Friday morning interview slot!
Exeter
Manchester
Lancaster
Cardiff
"The measure of a man is what he does with power" - Plato
Matthew

Postby Bokbag87 » Thu May 18, 2017 12:41 pm

For anyone who re-interviewed last week for Teesside - I thought I would share this. It turns out that they are now interviewing again on Tuesday. I am very disappointed by this because it seems they are now looking at people who weren't interviewed at all. So its gone from me being good enough to be called back for an interview to now no longer being god enough to fill in spots and they would rather pick new people to be interviewed. I find the whole process really disorganised to be honest and I feel even more disheartened then last week.
Bokbag87

Postby YellowNutshell » Thu May 18, 2017 12:46 pm

cardiff
plymouth
bath
exeter

:shock:

Shocked and ecstatic at the same time. Had really written myself off for this year after two rejections already. Congratulations to everyone :)
YellowNutshell

Postby hawke » Thu May 18, 2017 1:12 pm

Exeter
Birmingham
Cardiff

Bath - 6th reserve

I'm very glad I put myself through this, I've learned a lot about myself and the process. It's disappointing to have had 3 interviews and no offers, but I could not have done any better this year. Now knowing how hard other people worked for their places, I don't really feel I deserved one anyway! I feel worried that I might not be able to do better next year, but I've got plenty of time to do my best to improve my chances. It's invaluable to know that I don't need better qualifications or experience, it is purely about feeling more secure in my own knowledge and conveying that in a better way on the day. And coming 21st out of ~500 applicants at Bath (even if that doesn't translate into a place) is something to be proud of!

Mainly I've learned that I would quite like to be a clinical psychologist - but if it doesn't happen for a while or if it doesn't happen at all, I'm okay with that :)
hawke

Postby lakeland » Thu May 18, 2017 2:05 pm

Bokbag87 wrote:For anyone who re-interviewed last week for Teesside - I thought I would share this. It turns out that they are now interviewing again on Tuesday. I am very disappointed by this because it seems they are now looking at people who weren't interviewed at all. So its gone from me being good enough to be called back for an interview to now no longer being god enough to fill in spots and they would rather pick new people to be interviewed. I find the whole process really disorganised to be honest and I feel even more disheartened then last week.

That sounds incredibly frustrating. Teesside have previous for doing similar, I can't remember how long ago it was but they definitely re-interviewed people who hadn't even been shortlisted previously, after getting through their reserve list, and possibly after the deadline?

Have they given any feedback to you?
lakeland

Postby Bokbag87 » Thu May 18, 2017 2:28 pm

lakeland wrote:
Bokbag87 wrote:For anyone who re-interviewed last week for Teesside - I thought I would share this. It turns out that they are now interviewing again on Tuesday. I am very disappointed by this because it seems they are now looking at people who weren't interviewed at all. So its gone from me being good enough to be called back for an interview to now no longer being god enough to fill in spots and they would rather pick new people to be interviewed. I find the whole process really disorganised to be honest and I feel even more disheartened then last week.

That sounds incredibly frustrating. Teesside have previous for doing similar, I can't remember how long ago it was but they definitely re-interviewed people who hadn't even been shortlisted previously, after getting through their reserve list, and possibly after the deadline?

Have they given any feedback to you?

Yeah they gave me feedback which upset me more to be honest because even though it was the same two people who did both interview and re-interview I was given polar opposite feedback for using similar examples. I have come to the conclusion that it is not just about me being a fit for them but them being a fit for me, and frankly this process has been horrific and unnecessary.
Bokbag87

Postby og1234 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:13 pm

I've been lurking here for several years and thought I should share my progress
People have said to me 'it only takes one interview' and I've found that to be true, although at times I have had difficulty believing it.
I found that 3 rejections + 1 interview left me feeling like I wouldn't be good enough for the one uni that selected me and I guess that stemmed from the anxiety of the process plus the gut-wrenching moment when you open the rejection e-mail.
I also let those thoughts negatively effect my confidence when I was going in to my one and only shot at it for that year...

Leeds
Manchester
Sheffield
Liverpool

Leeds
Manchester
Lancaster
Liverpool

Leeds
Coventry/Warwick
Liverpool
Staffordshire

Getting a rejection from Liverpool this year after being on the reserve for places for two years on the run was a bit of a kick in the teeth as I felt more confident and ready than I had done in the two years prior.
That being said, I think I managed my nerves a lot better this year and feel I've learnt a lot since my previous interview in 2016.
I know it's easier said than done, but I just want to stress how important it is to be kind to yourself, and if you get one shot at interviews allow yourself to be the best version of you that you can be on the day.

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back, commiserations to the reds (if you know you've got more to give - DON'T GIVE UP!!)
...and hopefully I'll be able to locate some Staffordshire course mates on here :D
og1234

Postby reishi » Thu May 18, 2017 5:22 pm

After very careful consideration...

SELF FUNDED
Leicester :arrow: Leicester :arrow: declined
Essex :arrow: accepted
SELF FUNDED

So, self-funding list at Leicester must move one place at least. Good luck to everyone!
"Ever since psychoanalysis came up, everybody's ill more or less."
reishi

Postby ogglebog » Fri May 19, 2017 9:24 am

teesside have done it once before. the year after they lost their accreditation. they recruited all 14 places and reserve list but we're turned down by so many people that they had to recruit again. this time however they only recruited 10 places so knew from the start they would be reinterviewing. they have completely disregarded how this must be making.potential candidates feel.

bokbag I feel exactly the same. my feedback I feel is inaccurate and contradictory, I had one person on both panels.

I have contacted clearing house to raise a concern about the process and would encourage you to do the same.
ogglebog

Postby Bokbag87 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:18 am

ogglebog wrote:teesside have done it once before. the year after they lost their accreditation. they recruited all 14 places and reserve list but we're turned down by so many people that they had to recruit again. this time however they only recruited 10 places so knew from the start they would be reinterviewing. they have completely disregarded how this must be making.potential candidates feel.

bokbag I feel exactly the same. my feedback I feel is inaccurate and contradictory, I had one person on both panels.

I have contacted clearing house to raise a concern about the process and would encourage you to do the same.

I find this beyond disgraceful how this has been conducted. I can take it if I didn't make it this year, but to go through a month of this when they knew they had to reinterview, so to be rejected twice like that has been a horrible experience.
Bokbag87

Postby woodcat » Fri May 19, 2017 1:05 pm

3rd year applying and 3rd year of interviews I am super excited and over the moon to report that I have been offered a place!!!

2015:
Liverpool
Manchester
Southampton
Staffordshire -Staffordshire

2016:
Staffordshire- Staffordshire
East Anglia- East Anglia
Salomons- Salomons- Salomons
Plymouth

2017:
IoP
Herts
Royal Holloway- Royal Holloway
Salomons-Salomons-Salomons !!!!!!!!!!!

Best of luck to everyone else still interviewing or waiting on reserve lists
woodcat

Postby jlb36 » Sat May 20, 2017 7:35 am

Oxford
Royal Holloway
Coventry and Warwick -> Coventry and Warwick
Bath -> Bath -> Bath

Am still in shock!!!!

I was number 2 on the Bath reserve list and got a phone call yesterday afternoon offering a place. It's been updated on the clearing house but not received official letter/email yet. As soon as I receive those I will be going ahead and accepting Bath so the Cov&Warwick reserve will move 1 place (I was number 6 after interview - not sure if that has changed now) .

Good luck to everyone with interviews or still waiting to hear!
jlb36

PreviousNext

Return to Clinical Doctorate Application Process