Does it look bad to do more than one MA/MSc before DClinPsy?

Discuss applications to the clearing house (and to courses that are not in the clearing house system), screening assessments, interviews, reserve lists, places, etc. here

Does it look bad to do more than one MA/MSc before DClinPsy?

Postby Studentin11 » Wed May 17, 2017 6:47 am

I had an undergrad in Psychology and previously did an MA in History. I wanted to study a Master's degree more relevant to Psychology next year so that I can apply to the DClinPsy in a few years time. I applied to two MSc programs. One is geared toward research and the other toward clinical theory. To my delight, I received offers from both.

My goal is to pick one and volunteer part time in a position where I can work with service users, an honorary AP job would be hitting the jackpot, to get more experience that is relevant to the DClinPsy.

I have the option to defer one of the programs and take it up the next year. Would having a BSc, MA, MSc and MSc look bad for any reason when it comes to applying for DClinPsy programs?
Studentin11

Re: Does it look bad to do more than one MA/MSc before DClin

Postby lingua_franca » Wed May 17, 2017 9:02 am

I'm not sure that I'm understanding you correctly, but it sounds as if you're thinking about doing one MSc now and deferring the other until next year. If your goal is to be a clinical psychologist, what would doing two MScs achieve? I don't know if it would hurt your chances or not, but it seems like a very expensive and roundabout way of getting there.

I also don't understand why you are looking for volunteer work - why not go for paid jobs? If you're trying to get honorary AP work then presumably you already have GBC. If you have a good 2:i or better and GBC, you don't need any Master's to apply for the doctorate. Apologies if you know this already, but we had a couple of recent psychology graduates at the place where I used to work who were convinced they needed MScs in order to apply, so I thought I'd just mention it in case you were under the same misconception.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.
lingua_franca

Postby maven » Thu May 18, 2017 7:25 pm

I think s/he is meaning that they already have an MA that is not relevant and now want a relevant MSc, which seems like a reasonable plan to me.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare
maven
Site Admin

Postby Studentin11 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:09 pm

Thank you for the input, Lingua. Mavern is correct, I have an MA that is, guess marginally relevant, but now have two offers for MSc courses which are relevant. I am thinking of doing one MSc this year (17/18) and the other the year after.

I have GBC but immediately after my degrees took a year pretty much off, due to health concerns, and I have spent the last year caring for an unwell parent. I know it seems like a waste of money but thanks to some recent inheritance it is an option. I also feel like I've forgotten a lot from my undergrad and would like to get up to speed again so I can be a good candidate for the doctorate.

I was aware that I can apply for the doctorate right away but thank you for the information anyway. :) Due to my lack of experience in the field of psychology, I don't think I'd get a paid role, so I am hoping to get a volunteer role instead. I also would prefer a weekend/part time role to go alongside my course, which is why I see unpaid as a more realistic option. Please correct me if that's wrong and thank you for the replies.
Studentin11

Postby dreamcatcher » Thu May 18, 2017 10:44 pm

I guess I would be wondering why you would do two MScs?
Would it not be sufficient enough to either do the clinical theory one as I'm guessing it would have a research component (research methods module and dissertation) or do the research methods one and gain clinical experience through working/volunteering?
I am not sure where you are applying for your MSc but it is worth keeping in mind that a lot of uni's offer good flexibility in terms of the modules you can pick, and there is usually the option of auditing modules if you run out of credits and want extra information around a certain area.
dreamcatcher

Postby lingua_franca » Fri May 19, 2017 1:06 am

Studentin11 wrote:Thank you for the input, Lingua. Mavern is correct, I have an MA that is, guess marginally relevant, but now have two offers for MSc courses which are relevant. I am thinking of doing one MSc this year (17/18) and the other the year after.

In that case I think you should just pick one of the two. I'm a postdoc and I do a bit of teaching for MSc and first-year PhD students, mainly in research methods. We get quite a few people who are returning to university several years after they finished their previous study, with careers and children in between, and none of them have needed to do two separate MScs to scrape the rust off. In your shoes I would think about which program fits your current needs best, and take that one, but if you're really torn between the two accepting the deferred place can't hurt - you could always change your mind.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.
lingua_franca

Postby maven » Fri May 19, 2017 4:52 pm

I also think that one of the two is enough!
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare
maven
Site Admin

Return to Clinical Doctorate Application Process