5 things I'm thinking today. . .

For anything not related to psychology

Re: 5 things I'm thinking today. . .

Postby lakeland » Thu May 18, 2017 9:25 am

AnsweringBell wrote:
Randomswirls wrote:1. It's my interview tomorrow and I'm so relieved it's here and almost over I am no longer nervous haha!

2. I found out my grandad is really ill and whilst it's not life threatening he isn't eating etc so it may well become life threatening. I am wondering how much is also being hidden from me because of the interview.

3. It kind of puts everything into perspective that actually the doctorate isn't important and whatever happens tomorrow There is a lot more to my life than psychology even if at times it's hard to see that.

4. I'd planned a very different evening today but instead I've found myself crying in my hotel room so now I need to go out and experience Liverpool

5. Now to decide what to eat!!

Fingers crossed for a swift recovery for your granddad Random, and I hope today goes amazingly well. You can do it! x

Agreed. You've got this!
lakeland

Postby lingua_franca » Fri May 19, 2017 6:39 pm

Best of luck Random! I was thinking about you today. :D I hope the wait to find out isn't too excruciating!

1.) The violin soloist I heard the other night was so fantastic that I came home wanting to take up violin. Today I had my cello lesson and remembered why I chose cello instead - it may be cumbersome and the focus of every passenger's baleful gaze when I'm on a train, but it feels like an extension of me and I love it.
2.) I can't get the hang of this new piece, though. My hand is trembling with the effort and I keep losing control of the bow, meaning I go very screechy. And the piece is meant to be played almost as loudly as a cello will go. I would feel sorry for the neighbours if their TV wasn't on constantly and they hadn't kept me up until three a.m. having a screaming match, but as it is I'm wondering if I can't use the cello as some sort of aversive behavioural technique to train them to pipe down.
3.) I'm feeling excited and energised about my research again, and looking forward to what fieldwork might bring.
4.) I'm going to a symposium in Norway in the summer and I'm thinking about spending the weekend there rather than coming straight home. Is anyone familiar with Norway?
5.) Time to cook my tea.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.
lingua_franca

Postby Geishawife » Fri May 19, 2017 7:26 pm

lingua_franca wrote:4.) I'm going to a symposium in Norway in the summer and I'm thinking about spending the weekend there rather than coming straight home. Is anyone familiar with Norway?

I certainly wouldn't say I'm familiar with Norway, but we did a cruise of the fjords a few years ago and it was MAGICAL!! The people are just lovely and the scenery was AYMAYZING!! So, I would say that if you have the chance to stay a few extra days take it!! I very much doubt you will regret it!!
Geishawife
Team Member

Postby Victoriomantic » Sun May 28, 2017 11:23 am

1. First lazy day at home in a long, long while... what have I even been doing?
2. Decided to start looking for a new job (due to practical considerations) and flooded with anxiety about it. I hate change and I hate writing applications.
3. Been thinking a lot about career recently. There's too much I want to do.
4. Need to sort my diet out and up the exercise.
5. Loving the weather. Wishing I had a dog to walk or cat to cuddle with.
Victoriomantic

Postby lingua_franca » Sun May 28, 2017 5:14 pm

1.) Geishawife, fjords it is! I love kayaking. I'm a bit nervous about navigating around Norway by myself, which seems a bit odd considering the countries I normally hang out in, but the landscape looks breathtaking.
2.) Two weeks until the General Election, a.k.a our opportunity to get the current Sith Lords out of power. To switch fantastical universes for a moment, I keep imagining an epic Lord of the Rings-style battle scene in which an army of unexpected hobbits comes surging down the valley just in time to save the NHS.
3.) I notice that the Conservatives haven't published their easy-read manifesto yet and UKIP aren't going to have one. Their policies towards disabled people in a nutshell: we are too indifferent to you to talk to you.
4.) My PhD graduation is finally here! I passed in December and didn't really feel anything much, but the excitement has surfaced! Finally I get to wear that squashy velvet pancake hat that was the mainstay of my hope for four years.
5.) I keep checking my email to see if any of the highly anticipated replies are here yet. Come on people...
- A.A. Milne.
lingua_franca

Postby lakeland » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:36 am

1. I feel sick at the thought of the next 5 years with a Tory Government
2-5. I hope lots of people do the right thing today and vote Labour (unless it's tactical to vote for someone else).
lakeland

Postby benbrand » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:58 pm

1. I'm not really sure how to feel about the general election result. Whilst enthralled with Labour's well-deserved comeback, I worry about a coalition with a party that outrightly denies climate change and is overtly anti-LGBT.

2. I've found myself growlingly increasingly more frustrated with the clients and my current case-load. However, recently I have managed to take a step back this week and cool down, which has been nice.

3. Found out I gained a place on an MSc which I'll hopefully be doing alongside working full-time. It'll be difficult but worth it.

4. I've started journaling again after any visits with my therapist- hoping this might help when it comes to writing my application again.

5. Lord Buckethead
benbrand

Postby astra » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:37 am

1. procrastinating today as I have a tricky report to write, everyone is out of the house, and I have the whole morning to get on with it.
2. Do not know what to make of the election result - all I know is I must stop reading the comments on articles and Facebook posts! So much hate in the world.
3. So a tiny party of religious extremists from NI might be the deciding factor in any number of political decisions affecting the whole of the UK??? How can that be right?? Praying that the surge in Labour MPs will counter any extreme decisions.
4. I was so happy for a moment with the idea of a hung parliament - it was short lived.
5. The weather here in Yorkshire has followed the election closely, woke up to gorgeous sunshine yesterday, by later it was getting unpredictable and a bit showery, this morning its p*****g down.

Report - I have to do this blinking report - get on with it!
From the point of view of mindfulness, as long as you're breathing there's more right with you than wrong with you. Jon Kabat-Zinn
astra

Postby starshine » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:26 pm

1. Looks like summer is over now? *Sigh*

2. I should probably go eat something

3. Can't be bothered cooking though :roll:

4. I should have taken up the offer of that little break away

5. Too darn tired to think anymore
(•́.̫ •̀) ~ Listen to your heart ♡ ♡ ♡
starshine

Postby Victoriomantic » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:53 pm

***[potential trigger warning for point 1]***

1. I am so glad I had a counselling session today. On Wednesday night I intervened in a stranger's suicide attempt in the middle of the street and since then I've been incredibly sad. Not sure if it's to do with that or a change in the routine of my anti-d's.

2. My line manager is temporarily supervising me while I wait to start with my new clinical supervisor and I love her approach so much I wish she could be my permanent supervisor.

3. Weight gain is driving me bonkers

4. I've left it too late to arrange proper plans for my birthday

5. Stop being so negative... um... I'm starting to really enjoy my job again after a period of intense stress and my colleague said I'm inspiring as I've managed to clear my to-do list several days in a row.
Victoriomantic

Postby starshine » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:19 pm

1. Tiny bit of sun today :P

2. I think I'm addicted to haggis, neeps and tatties

3. All I'm missing is some irn bru, but it gives me palpitations so I'm glad I don't have any

4. I'd like a dog of my own someday

5. I miss my ex :|
(•́.̫ •̀) ~ Listen to your heart ♡ ♡ ♡
starshine

Postby lingua_franca » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:10 pm

1.) I had a pretty productive day. I'm starting to realise that my expectations for my performance in this postdoc were far too high and to adjust them accordingly. I feel much more relaxed now I know that I don't have to be publishing something every week.
2.) I feel physically tired out. I keep waking up multiple times in the early morning and I don't know why.
3.) Where is this sun that the weather forecaster promised me>
4.) I think I might run a hot bath and sit in there reading my nice new book about decolonization in Senegal. It's a wild night chez Lingua.
5.) I went out to buy cooking oil and a scouring brush and I came back carrying a cuddly plush elephant wearing pink ballet slippers. Let's try this again.
- A.A. Milne.
lingua_franca

Postby butterflyfingers » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:56 pm

3. Found out I gained a place on an MSc which I'll hopefully be doing alongside working full-time. It'll be difficult but worth it.

Well done! I'll be embarking on an MSc and working full time too. You going to be doing your course PT then?
butterflyfingers

Postby hs577 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:25 pm

1-5 So happy I passed my viva Tuesday. Hopefully it's my first and last :)
hs577

Postby ell » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:37 pm

hs577 wrote:1-5 So happy I passed my viva Tuesday. Hopefully it's my first and last :)

Um, assuming that was a PhD, if you are planning on clinical training then you will have to do another viva I'm afraid!

Assuming that was your clinical doctorate, then maybe don't enroll for a PhD. That way you won't need to worry that you'll end up in another viva.

Sorry for my tongue in cheek response, am just quite amused by your post!

... And impressed of course. Passing a viva is pretty impressive. Go celebrate!
ell

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous: Off-topic